A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Quaxo9

Re: A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Arksynn

He wandered out of the ship feeling refreshed - but also a bit unstable. Sure he'd pretty much convinced Reyth to stay, but he wasn't sure what that meant. Staying, that is. How should they go about this? I mean, would they have to be all...nice and stuff? He might be able to swing it, but he wasn't sure about Reyth. There was a time when she would have fit in real nice with these people. She might not remember that time, but he did. Kicking his way through the sand, he started for the house, but got distracted by the water. Never in his life had he seen so much of it. Funny how he hadn't really noticed it before. Maybe it was because now it seemed to be making more noise. White curls were standing up out of the surface and falling over on the shore. The rattling sound the rocks made as they were dragged back into the water was almost soothing. He found himself standing at the very edge of the wet sand. The sound. Yeah, he liked the sound. A little smile curled his lip upwards as the wind ruffled his damp hair. Maybe he could get used this.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

The downtime was welcome. They had come to Rishi for a vacation, after all... even if the immediate precipitating factor was her sister's machinations. So far, they'd had precious little time to relax. Their numbers had grown - and some members of their little group were considerably more banged up than they had been. Much good had been accomplished, though. And Siralai hoped that several lives had been changed for the better.

The little spat between Trystan and Jasper blew over quickly. The two men were as close as brothers - and every now and then, as with any siblings, a brotherly squabble might break out. This one was over nearly as soon as it had begun, and before long the two men were trading their usual banter as they relaxed on the beach. Siralai smiled, watching everyone unwind in their own ways. The peace wouldn't last. There were loose ends still untied. But it was nice while it lasted.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Pyrran and Cheketta

Cheketta found himself at rather loose ends. It wasn't that he felt unwelcome - everyone had been very kind to him. He just wasn't quite sure what his role was here, or why he had been included in the crazy escapade back in Kaas City. He had not been anticipating rescue. This was not a source of self-pity; it was simply a fact. He had made a choice to disclose to the galaxy that the Republic had violated the Treaty of Coruscant. Cheketta had done so with the best of intentions. By doing so, he had saved the lives of all of the soldiers under his command. His words had been the truth. But he didn't expect that to matter - he had assumed his own side would abandon him, and that had indeed been the case. That had been part of the price he had knowingly paid. Cheketta had known he would be tortured. He had been correct about that too. It had been difficult to endure, but he had little in the way of options other than enduring it as best he could. There were only two ways out. Either the Imperials would brutalize him beyond what his body could withstand and he would die from it, or they would eventually execute him. Those were the only possible endings.

But then a third option unexpectedly presented itself. A Sith had saved him. No... it was even more surprising than that. A Sith he had met only in passing had actively endangered himself for the express purpose of Cheketta's rescue. And Cheketta still had no idea as to why.

Cheketta gave Pyrran space after the young man came out of Kolto. That time was for his sisters, and his girlfriend, and his... parents? The latter seemed unlikely, but appeared to the case. Once they had a moment alone, though, Cheketta said, "I owe you my thanks."

"You're welcome," Pyrran replied. Cheketta expected more. An explanation. A set of demands. A clear reason his life had been spared. But none was forthcoming.

"I was glad to see you're still alive," Cheketta offered. "I know it's dangerous for people like you - Sith with a heart and a conscience, I mean. I'm glad you survived. But I never expected to see you again. You came to rescue me. I... can't help but wonder why."

Pyrran's already red skin grew a little redder. "Because you were the first person who ever gave me hope that things could be better. I... I listened to your radio broadcasts. Back on Balmorra. I know they weren't meant for me. They were meant for your troops. But what you said... it made me think things could be different. It was the first time I ever truly believed that. I couldn't just leave you to rot in an Imperial prison. I came for you as soon as I had allies who could help."

"I owe you my life," Cheketta said sincerely. "And I won't forget that. I'm glad the radio messages helped you. You record those things, send them out, never know if they'll make a difference..."

"They did," Pyrran said simply, but there was a heavy weight of feeling in his voice.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
(Former) Grand Marshal Cheketta

Cheketta leaned on the railing, staring out at the ocean... trying to figure out what came next. He was grateful for his life; those sentiments had been sincere. But what to do with that life remained unclear. Up till his arrest by the Empire on Balmorra, his whole world had centered around the Republic army. That was gone now. He would be seen as a traitor, untrustworthy... But what could come next? The physical realities were beginning to intrude. He was more of an age to retire than begin a new career. Cheketta could tell that his body was bouncing back far more slowly from his imprisonment and torture than a younger man's would have, despite the excellent medical care he had received. He had no credits. No prospects. No one likely to welcome him. That didn't mean he wanted to give up. Quite the opposite. He wanted to embrace his new lease on life. But how? And where? The restless waves didn't provide any clarity.

Someone joined him at the railing. He looked over, and was surprised to see it was one of the Imperials. Trystan. Cheketta couldn't help an inward flinch, though he showed nothing outwardly. For so many years, Imperials had meant nothing good.

"They do a number on your mind, don't they?" Trystan said thoughtfully. "That part is worse than the physical pain, I think."

For a moment, Cheketta was surprised. Was Trystan saying he had been tortured by his own side? But yes, that was a reasonable assumption. Cheketta had seen it before. Imperial military life wasn't easy - and all Imperial life was connected to the military.

"It is," Cheketta agreed simply, still staring at the waves. After a moment of silence, he said, "I'm grateful to you all for helping me. I'll get out of your hair soon. I just... need to get a few things figured out."

"Do you still have a life to go back to?" Trystan asked... with gentleness that surprised Cheketta.

The former Grand Marshal shook his head. "Nah. I was a career military man, and that's all gone now. But I'll figure something out before I wear out my welcome." He was careful to keep his voice utterly matter-of-fact. He couldn't bear pity. Not from an Imperial - not from anyone.

Trystan didn't seem pitying, though. He seemed equally matter-of-fact when he replied. "There's no need for you to rush off, then. You can stay as long as you like."

Cheketta smiled sadly. "You're very kind. But the last thing you need is a useless old man hanging around."

"You aren't useless," Trystan insisted. "You have knowledge and skills our young people would benefit from learning. Is that an exchange you would consider? A place to stay, in exchange for some teaching?"

Cheketta brightened significantly at this. It was a solution to his problem... and it didn't seem like charity. "Sounds great," he agreed.