Start of Term (Hogwarts) (cont'd)

Monkey Kitty

Re: Start of Term (Hogwarts)

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers and Cambria Morehouse

"Burn," Eve said. When she realized this was probably not making sense to anyone else without context, she explained, "Burn, not bury. You don't want the poison in the ground. Or eaten by another animal. Better to burn the remains. The owner doesn't have to know."

"Rosemary, I'm so sorry all this is happening," Cambria said sympathetically. "Poor Keeva. We'll find whoever is responsible. In the meantime, though, you're right - best to keep her near. We don't want to take any chances."

The question of what they were doing was an open one.

"Well, McGonagall asked us to go look for a student who didn't come back from Hogsmeade," Cambria said. "We assumed it would take awhile. But he came back on his own - just lost track of time. So that clears up the schedule."

Eve frowned at the mention of what had happened. She didn't know why she still felt bothered by it. The whole thing had ended fine. More than fine - it had ended with a totally mundane explanation. So why did the thought of it make her heart race?

"He went to the Shrieking Shack," Eve said softly to the empty air above Keeva's head.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

"I really should have expected this, though. I suppose I was being naive when I thought that I could just adopt an acromantula and everyone would be fine with it. I still believe it was - and is - the right thing to do, so now I suppose we just deal with the consequences as they come."

Rosemary was immediately concerned when Cambria began her reply concerning the day's deeds, but just as quickly relaxed. Obviously if neither of her friends had arrived upset, there was no longer any danger, but she still couldn't help that teacher's internal cringe that a student had fallen off the radar - even momentarily. Eve, though, was clearly still worried.

"That old place? It's so dilapidated - it's a wonder the townsfolk haven't had the building condemned and torn down long ago. Besides, I think the original need for it has passed. And it's a neverending source of trouble so far as the children go. Always daring each other to go in..."

But, she was preaching to the choir, most assuredly.

"Well, if we're all free - how about a hike? Or perhaps a visit somewhere seaside? I'm sure I could manage a invisibility cloak for Keeva that would last the trip."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Cambria couldn't help but notice how Eve's eyes lit up at the mention of the ocean, though Eve didn't say anything.

"The seaside, I think," Cambria replied casually - pretending she hadn't noticed, to avoid making Eve feel awkward. "We still have most of the weekend left, and with Bale found, the three of us are off duty for awhile. Shall we go pack?"

Eve nodded eagerly.

The packing posed a bit of a challenge - Eve didn't have any beach clothes, just the black robes she normally wore. Oh well. That would suffice as well as anything. She carefully packed up the supplies Shelby and Basil would need for the brief excursion, and declared herself ready to go.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

"Perfect, I know just the place. I'll book us a cottage or something and meet you back here in...an hour?"

Truthfully, Rosemary had hoped that the seaside would be the activity of choice. As much as she loved rowing on the lake, she missed sailing in the North Sea. Lossiemouth should do nicely. Waves rolling up on wide, sandy beaches and Orkney in view over the rolling waters. Why she didn't just book them a place to stay in Orkney in the first place wasn't something she was willing to dwell on - besides, she had to get that cloak ready for Keeva if the acromantula were to have any hope of getting around in the outside world.

An efficient packer, she was ready within the time allotted and had flew powder ready for them all. The small cottage on the edge of town facing the ocean would be just what the doctor ordered. Rosemary found the salt air invigorating and comforting all at once. This was going to be an absolutely lovely weekend.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve surveyed the ocean with wide eyes. For a moment, she looked puzzled, then almost frightened. Finally she burst into tears and started to sob.

"Eve, are you alright?" Cambria asked worriedly.

Eve nodded. "It's just... it's just so big!" she whispered.

She wasn't frightened of it - not really. Just overwhelmed. The size of it, the scale was almost too much. She'd seen the sea once before, as a small child. But that was in the Before. Azkaban had not yet reduced her world to the contents of a tiny dark cell. Now the vastness of it was more than she could take in.

Cambria put her arm around Eve's shoulder, and Eve wiped her eyes.

"It's beautiful," Eve said softly.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

The town wasn't so small that they'd be the centre of attention, yet big enough that there were shops, a crafter's market, and more than one pub. Getting provisions was easy and the streets were narrow and clean. Most importantly, there was the sea and with the sea, sailing vessels. The first thing she did was head down the banks to find one to rent. She opted for a two-person size; though it would have been nice to get everyone out on the water at once, she didn't think Cambria or Eve had any sailing experience to make up the extra pair of hands larger vessels required. At least with this vessel she could take Keeva out comfortably.

Now, whether she could convince Keeva to go out with her in the boat - that was a question she was about to get an answer to. Acromantulas weren't known for their swimming ability and Rosemary was wracking her brain on how to get her spider friend out on the water safely. Perhaps she could attach a thread of silk to the vessel in case she fell overboard? Perhaps a Bubble-head charm...but would the charm work when the spider's head wasn't where it breathed? Possibly not. Designing a pfd for a spider...well, that would take some engineering...
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

While Rosemary transacted her business in town, Eve and Cambria took a walk along the coastline. Eve stopped periodically to dig up or pick some plant or mushroom, placing them carefully in her satchel in tidy, cloth-wrapped bundles.

"What are those for?" Cambria eventually asked.

Eve froze, startled, as if she'd been caught doing something wrong. But the expression on Cambria's face was friendly, open - curiosity, not accusation. Eve's shoulders relaxed, and she went into professor mode, gaining confidence as she explained the purpose of the ingredients. Cambria was impressed by the vast trove of knowledge in her friend's head, especially after all those years without books or study.

As they returned to the shoreline, Eve pulled off her shoes and socks and waded ankle-deep. The water was cold, Cambria realized as she joined her, but Eve didn't seem to mind.

"This... this place is perfect," Eve said.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

She'd rolled up her trousers as soon as she'd seen Eve set about removing her shoes and joined her and Cambria in the frigid waters of the North Sea. A stray strand of hair blew free of her barrette, but she didn't bother pushing it back. Even hair deserved some freedom - nevermind a woman who'd been incarcerated for so many years.

"I'm so glad. There's nothing quite like the salt of the sea on your face, is there?"

Rosemary smiled down at her feet as she wiggled her toes into the sand, making them disappear, like she did when she was wee. A child's game, but it still brought delight. She looked up at the house, the acromantula's form just visible inside the window, keeping one or more eyes on the three humans on the beach. Perhaps she'd been focusing on Keeva a little too much today - and thereby neglecting her other friends. Well, there was still time to catch up on that.

"I hope you like seafood - it's scallops and crab toes with a helping of melba toasts and butter for dinner tonight. I thought we should take the opportunity to eat like locals."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers

There were so many things Eve had forgotten. The size of the expanse of the sea. The smell of fresh air. The feeling of something other than cold stone beneath her bare feet.

And food. She had forgotten what it was like to eat for pleasure. To have favorite foods. The taste and smell of the varied delicacies the world had to offer.

She ate her fill of the seafood... but slowly, savoring every bite.

Eve felt like she was waking up. She had numbed herself for so long, and she was gradually - so very gradually - starting to feel again. It was beautiful, but terrifying. She felt like she was shedding a shell. The shell was a prison, but also a protection. If this dream faded, how was she now to go back?

"Thank you," Eve told her friends as they sat by the roaring fire on the hearth. She held Basil and Shelby on her lap, all safe and cozy while the wind whistled outside. "Thank you for everything."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain and Sandra Davies

Even if this tiny moment of a holiday had cost her her life's savings, it would have been worth it just for the look on Eve's face. She looked more than just peaceful or relaxed - she seemed...filled up. After so many years of being emptied out. The Dementors were no longer around - and Rosemary was determined that they never would have cause to meet with Eve ever again.

The weekends were never long enough, and the ending to this one was especially bitter. For all the world, she would have loved to stay and prolong Eve's happiness - and her own, of course. She'd missed sailing and there was nothing like the North Sea for consistent winds and endless waves. But duty called. Someone had to instruct the younger generation.

They'd returned by flue, and Rosemary took her leave to put her things away and get ready for classes. She had an early start tomorrow - a foraging class for bowtruckle wasn't for the faint of heart or the unprepared. Keeva went with her to the classroom, the acromantula now a permanent shadow, where Rosemary busied herself with various notes and references late into the evening. A light chirring sound from her companion was the only notice she had of a visitor prior to their knocking on one of the vertical beams of the structure.

"Hello, you're working late."

Rosemary wasn't entirely surprised to see the Professor of Astronomy up at this hour, but she was surprised to see her at her proverbial doorstep. The woman could barely see out from under the dark brush of bangs that hung low over her forehead, but was clearly prepared for a night of observing the sky as her arms were full of charts. She looked behind Rosemary and gave a little smile and wave to the cowering acromantula.

"Professor Davies. I suppose you're working early, then?" Rosemary took the safer path of assuming this wasn't a social call. She wasn't unfriendly, but she was a bit...wary. Particularly after the events of Friday night where some of the members of the staff suggested displeasure with the company she kept. As a result, she wasn't too sure whether the other woman's attention to Keeva was out of nicety or nosiness.

The petite woman chuckled as though she'd never heard that joke before, but seemed to take the measured tone in stride.

"Yes, quite. There's so rarely a clear sky that I thought I'd take full advantage. But, really Rosemary, there's no reason to be so formal as all that. Honestly, I came by because when you disappeared on Saturday I worried that maybe you'd left because of what had happened." Looking momentarily embarrassed, she added, "Of course the rumour mill has been running a little hot lately, but it sounded like some people were decidedly unpleasant. I'm just glad to see you both are all right."

Rosemary blinked twice before a full smile graced her face. "Thank-you Sandra. We appreciate you checking in, really. That was very kind."

The two women shared a few words before they both got back to work, Sandra trotting off into the glen and Rosemary at her desk, thinking how lovely it was that there were some more good people in the world.