Start of Term (Hogwarts) (beginning)

Quaxo9

Re: Start of Term (Hogwarts) (beginning)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers

"Thanks," Eve said. "That's really. Nice of you. Thanks."

For just a moment, she allowed herself to consider what Rosemary had said - that she was worth knowing - and to let in a sliver of hope. But then she remembered what her son had looked like when he was born. The only time she had spent with him, and the only memory she had of him. He had looked so tiny and perfect, wrapped in his blanket. So beautifully innocent. If even a small portion of that innocence remained, she couldn't risk ruining it.

As it turned out, the decision was out of her hands. While Eve was standing in front of the classroom, awkwardly trying to coax her students into learning and attentiveness, a young man had arrived at Hogwarts. Everyone he passed, he asked some variation of, "Excuse me? I'm looking for Eve Travers. I was told she had begun teaching here today. Do you know where I might find her?" But again and again, his inquiries were being brushed off and ignored. Still, he remained resolute, continuing to search for a source of the information he needed.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

The morning had gone rather well, she thought. Only one student asked the guppy question and no one was maimed. This bode well for the rest of the semester. There were a few persons of especial interest - two positive, five negative - which Rosemary had set her eye on. She'd have to work with those ones more than the rest just to keep the former interested and to hopefully bring the latter around. In the end, she hoped for adoration of all magical creatures at best, and neutrality at worst.

In a somewhat daring move, Rosemary had planned a two-day camping trip into the forest with the second year students. Usually overnight forays were reserved for the elder kids, but she thought that getting some outdoors experience in early would be beneficial not only for the students, but for their attendance in future classes.

She was on her way to the storeroom to see if she could whip up enough sleeping bags and canteens for everyone, when a young man caught her eye. He seemed to be stopping random students to ask them something, but they kept turning away. Interesting. As she drew closer, she recognized him and called out once she was within earshot.

"Mister Pelling! I'd have thought you'd had your fill of this place and would be out exploring the wide world over! How are you?" she left a 'and what brings you here?' unspoken, but the quizzical turn of her head certainly implied it. Lucie alit on her shoulder and bobbed her head twice, echoing herself.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Liam Pelling

"Professor Bain!" Liam croaked, sounding like a startled schoolboy. "I'm... I'm doing alright..."

He forced himself to calm. He was a man now, after all - albeit a young one. He was doing important things out in the world. There was no reason to be intimidated just because he was within the walls of his old school.

"I'm looking for Eve Travers. I heard she was released from Azkaban, and that she was teaching here, but I don't know what subject. It's important that I speak to her. She's... at least I think she is... erm..."

He'd been waiting so long. Every day since he found out her name, he'd been scanning every page of The Daily Prophet to see if she had finally been released. It had been a life sentence, yes - but he had hoped that cooler heads would eventually prevail, as time passed and the need to make an example got more distant. Especially with all the letters he had written on her behalf, all the petitions he'd circulated - and added fake signatures to, when helping an incarcerated Death Eater failed to gain traction. When it finally happened, it hadn't made the paper. It had just been a rumor in a train station. As soon as he'd heard, Liam had rushed here.

"I... I think she's my mother!" the young man finally blurted out.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

The fact that she'd managed to only let one eyebrow rise above its usual plateau was testament to her mastery over emotion. To think, the very day that Eve brought up the fact she had a son was the same day that he'd turn up at the school looking for her. She'd had a feeling that fate would intervene in Eve's wishes, though this was a tad earlier than she'd expected.

Expression thoughtful, she smiled at the lad. "Ah, of course. Yes, Eve is here. Come with me."

Her robes swirled as she turned and took a side path. After a short distance, Liam would likely notice that they weren't moving in the direction of any of the main classrooms. Rosemary cast him a sidelong glance.

"No, I'm not taking you to see her in the middle of her first class of her second day out of Azkaban." She held up her hand in anticipation of his protests. "Mother or not, you must admit that your arrival would be somewhat...for lack of a better term...distressing. She is reeling from rediscovering the world outside and honestly she was concerned that her past might taint your future. I think you need to take things slow, if reunion is indeed what you seek."

Looking at him, she thought it was. He seemed excited and more than a little distressed himself. She shot him a reassuring smile.

"Besides, I think meeting for the first time in front of a bunch of first year students would be a little anti-climatic, don't you? I suggest waiting until the noon break. That way, reactions can happen as they will and you will have some more time to talk. Do you want me to tell her you're here?"

Rosemary had her own thoughts on that, but held her tongue. They were on the path to her woodland classroom now, as she had planned on bringing Eve and Cambria out for a quick picnic before the second part of the day. She had a feeling that Eve would need to be out of the dungeon for a bit after teaching her class and the outside air had seemed to do her good. Still, there was one more thing.

"Liam, how certain are you that Eve Travers is your mother? Before things go too far, I want to make sure your heart is on the line reasonably." 'and Eve's doesn't break all over again' she finished to herself.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Liam Pelling

"She... she spoke of me?" Liam was delighted. His biggest fear had not been his mother's anger, or even her rejection. It was that he simply... would be unimportant to her. If she had said something about him on her first day, she must still remember. On some level, she must still care.

"Don't interrupt her now," he said, belatedly realizing that Rosemary was right. He couldn't just go charging in mid-lesson. "I'll wait till she's out of classes. I don't want to be a distraction, especially on her first day. She must have a lot on her mind."

Liam handed Rosemary a worn and much-folded piece of parchment. "This is my birth certificate," he said earnestly. "I found it after my adoptive parents died. They would never talk about my biological family. I had to press for years to get them even to admit I was adopted. I found my birth certificate when I was setting their affairs in order after their death. See? It lists Eve Travers as my mother. I've been writing letters and petitions to get her out of Azkaban ever since I found out. Now she's free, and... I don't know exactly what to do. But I want to see her."

In truth, Liam desperately wanted her back in his life - but he wasn't sure if that was something Eve would be willing to consider.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

The part of her that had been temporarily concerned by the fact she'd mentioned that Eve had spoken of having a child was comforted by the stark reality of an honest birth certificate. Clearly this young man was in earnest about reconnecting with his mother if he'd been pursuing this information for so long. That he wrote petitions on Eve's behalf brought a smile to Rosemary's face. Many of Eve's fears would be erased by the obvious show of affection he continued to pour out over the years, with her none the wiser. Of course, her other fears would likely come to a head. She kept that part to herself, however, maintaining an outwardly positive stance.

"After classes it is then. I'll send Lucie with a note of where to meet if you care to busy yourself somewhere. The library perhaps?" She hated to send him off, but it was for the best to keep the rest of Eve's day from derailing. Liam left to do something else, though Rosemary knew he probably wouldn't be too efficient about it in his excitement of finally meeting his birth mother...which sort of raised the question of why the boy hadn't been searching for his birth father. Perhaps because he wasn't a reforming Death Dealer? Rosemary had recognized them name from the certificate, but not many details. She wondered if this was part of the life Eve had wanted to spare her son.

The picnic lunch came and went, encouragements for the second half of the day given, and promises to meet after classes made. Eve went off to Potions, but Rosemary pulled Cambria aside and filled her in on the morning's discovery. She didn't ask if she'd done the right thing, but did double-check that her method for their re-introduction sounded like it would be received well. Cambria seemed to understand Eve a bit better. They didn't have long to chat as a troupe of fourth years started trickling into the forest.

The moment arrived. Rosemary had brought out a light supper of biscuits, cheese and oranges. She poured tea and then broached the subject.

"Eve, someone came looking for you today. They have been eagerly awaiting your release from prison, even wrote letters on your behalf to ask for your release. It's someone you've been wanting to meet. Liam?" She cast her voice over to the corner where she could sense Liam nervously waiting.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers and Liam Pelling

Eve couldn't imagine who would have taken an interest in her release, or why. She hoped it wasn't some misguided Voldemort groupie. The last thing she needed was a Dark Lord fan hanging around while she tried to rebuild her life. She smiled politely. Best not to jump to conclusions. The name Liam meant nothing to her. But when she saw him, her smile faltered a bit. It couldn't be? Could it...?

"Mum..." Liam said softly. That hadn't been the plan. He'd spent so much time practicing a speech - a speech that didn't involve calling her "Mum" the instant he saw her. He had planned to explain calmly who he was, and to tell her that he hoped she might welcome him as an acquaintance, with no further pressure. Suddenly, he couldn't remember a word of that speech.

Eve said nothing at first - just stared at him for a moment, then wrapped him in a fierce hug. He was surprised how strong her arms felt, clinging to him; even through her thick robe, he could tell how thin she was.

"I love you more than anything else in the world," Eve choked out between gritted teeth. "But you shouldn't be here. Knowing me won't benefit you. You have your adoptive parents. That's enough." She hesitated, then added, "They were kind to you, weren't they? I was promised that you would be safe."

"They were kind to me," Liam confirmed. "They were Muggles and they didn't ever really understand me - they didn't really try to - but I was safe. They never hurt me or mistreated me."

Eve's heart sank to hear that they were Muggles - and she hated herself for that. It wasn't any of that blood purity nonsense she had once been taken in by. She no longer believed that Muggles had less value. But how could Muggle parents nurture the magical nature that her son - no, not hers, their son, she reminded herself - was bound to have?

"As long as they're kind," Eve said. "As long as they love you. They're all you need. Not me."

"Well... they're dead, actually," Liam replied softly. "They were murdered. You're all the family I have now."

By unspoken agreement, neither of them counted Liam's biological father as part of the family circle. Eve looked desperately at her friends. Her heart was torn between how much she loved him, and how she wanted to do the right thing for him. "What do I do?" she whispered.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Darren Forness

Darren couldn't enter the Hogwarts grounds. Far too many enchantments guarded that sacred bit of earth - his kind would never make it past the gates. But he watched his son enter as an invited guest, and he fumed. This hadn't been the plan. Killing the Muggle adoptive parents had been intended to drive Liam into the welcoming arms of his father, not his mother. Darren had assumed Eve would never be released, so she hadn't been a factor in his calculations.

Eve had been useful, once. A talented but lonely teenager, she had been easy to charm and seduce... practically the moment she came of age. She had also been useful taking the fall for all the crimes. He had thought nothing of letting her rot in Azkaban alone, while he remained free. But now, Eve was becoming a problem. Darren wanted his son by his side. If Eve or anyone else got in the way of that... well, something would have to be done.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

The hairs on the back of her neck lifted up unchecked, which she found unusual. It was the part of Liam's story where he said his adoptive parents had been murdered that brought around this spontaneous reaction. Like the rest of her day, it was just one more thing that seemed out of place. Couples being murdered didn't happen every day, and ones with a wizard for a son less so. Strange.

Still, she shook off the feeling and refocused on Eve and Liam. Eve seemed to be at a loss - and looking for their input - but she felt like it wasn't really her place to advise a specific course of action.

"I think you know what you would like to do. I would suggest not worrying so much about possible outcomes and work with what you have here. A mutual desire to get to know one another." she shrugged, as though it were as simple as that. "I am pretty sure your heart knows exactly what to do."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers

Eve had spent nineteen years telling herself that her son was better off without her. It was the only thing that had gotten her through the pain of missing him - the sincere belief that what she was going through was to his benefit. But now he was saying it wasn't. That he needed her again... Liam was staring at her. So hopeful. His eyes practically pleaded for her love. It was impossible to turn him away.

"Yes," Eve said. "I want to get to know you. I want to know everything about you. I always wondered. Imagined you. Didn't know what to imagine, though. Your life... uh. What is it like?"

For a moment, Liam seemed at a loss for words. Eve wondered what was coming, that he hesitated so. Was he going to tell her that he had robbed Gringotts? Or that he was a dark wizard too? Or that he sat home on the sofa and did nothing at all?

Finally - and Eve couldn't quite make the connection - he said, "Professor Bain, what do you know about goblins?"