Start of Term (Hogwarts) (beginning)

Quaxo9

Re: Start of Term (Hogwarts) (beginning)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

Not for the first time today, she wondered how and why she we being involved in decisions that she should have nothing to do with. And yet, she was involved; there was no mistaking it and no avoiding it. Her outwardly calm appearance didn't shift with Liam's question, nor did she appear overly pensive.

"I know about as much as most. They are beings possessing magic and great talents for finance and crafting - much like humans. There's a lot of bad blood between goblins and wizards, unfortunately, or I think we'd have a lot more to do with one another."

At this point, she had to admit that she was curious. Her features softened, a familiar glint in her eyes. "Why do you ask, Mister Pelling?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers and Liam Pelling

"Because... well, it's not right, the way we treat them," Liam said, warming to a subject he had clearly thought and talked about a great deal. "It's not fair. They're people, not beasts - even if the Ministry insists they're just 'beings.' We're no better than them. They're just as intelligent as we are, and just as magical. Yet they aren't even allowed wands. That's not right, is it?"

"No," Eve said rather haltingly, embarrassed that she had never actually given the subject much thought. "No, I think it's not."

Liam suddenly looked proud - and a bit older. "So I'm helping them," he said. "They're going to stand up for themselves, and what's theirs. We're going to take on the Ministry and give them no choice but to make changes."

Eve was utterly torn. She was fiercely proud of her son. He was so brave. So compassionate. Standing up for his principles - even against an injustice that would never affect him. She was delighted to see that he had become a man of such character. And yet she was terrified for him, and what this would mean for his future. There had been goblin rebellions before. They didn't end well.

"They'll send you to Azkaban..." Eve said in a choked voice.

"They may," Liam admitted. "But I'm prepared to accept the consequences of my actions. I'll survive it. You did. I'm going to be as strong as you."

Eve shook her head emphatically. "No, Liam. That can't happen. I know you're strong. But you can't go to Azkaban. I can't watch that happen. Not to you. But I can't tell you to betray your conscience. So... if they catch you, blame it on me. Blame everything on me. Do you understand? Tell them I did it, or I forced you, or I had you under the Imperius Curse. Whatever you have to say - whatever it takes to keep you out of Azkaban - just say it. And I'll confess to it."

"Mum..."

"Please, Liam. I can't see you go to Azkaban. Just do as I ask. Please."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

Admittedly, her eyebrows did rise up of their own accord as Liam outlined his post-educational activities. Taking on the entire magical political structure in defence of those who were below the upper tier. Did he learn this in one of her classes? She hoped so. Eve's point brought her back to reality. She was right, of course. The boy would go to jail and the goblins, well the goblins would probably be worse off than before. Unless he pulled it off.

Rosemary began a sort of figure eight sway, her trademark 'stationary pacing', as she tucked her hands into place at the small of her back. She remained this way, silent, obviously lost in thought - until she wasn't. Her eyes suddenly focused on Eve and Liam and she stopped her odd movements.

"You know, the last few Goblin rebellions didn't go well largely because of an 'us versus them' mentality. What I think you need to succeed, Mister Pelling, is a 'we versus them' mentality. I think what needs to happen is exactly what you caused to happen here just now. You caught the attention of two people and allowed their idea of common decency to bring them to the conclusion you were hoping for. A run on the Ministry will definitely lead to incarceration, but if we were to sway the ideals of the wizarding world as a whole...well then. I think you could expect history to not repeat itself. Here's a thought. Why don't we have our former student give a lecture or two about differences between beings and persons. Then, we invite Goblins as guest speakers in some of our classes to share their knowledge and help students to engage with people of the likes they may not have met. It isn't as flashy and immediately satisfying as protesting in the streets, I'll admit, but I think this would have more impact. If we want to have the Goblins alongside us as wizards, we should start inviting them into the world in which we live and vice versa."

She fell quiet, hoping that her ideas didn't seem weak in this young idealist's eyes - not that she thought the plan she outlined was meek. Quite the opposite, she actually believed it would be more successful in raising the opinion of Goblins among humans than a strike and parade. What she feared was that it might push Liam into recklessness.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Liam Pelling and Eve Travers

"Yes," Liam said slowly. "Yes, I think you're right. That's a good idea." Eve started to breathe a sigh of relief - a much safer path had been chosen - but her idealistic son wasn't finished. "Of course, that can't be all we do," Liam added. "We can't just... stand around hoping people change their minds. That they decide to be decent about it, when they never have before. I'm not dismissing your idea, Professor Bain - far from it - but we need to keep organizing, too. There are things we need to gather..."

"Wands," Eve said bluntly. "Isn't that right?"

"Yes," Liam said. "Exactly. They need wands. They have their own forms of magic, of course - but this is one of the way the wizarding world has separated them. We're gathering wands."

"But that will take time," Eve said.

"And in the meantime..." "In the meantime, let's build some friendly relations," Liam said. "So when the time comes, it may not be humans versus goblins. Instead, it may be an alliance versus the oppressor."

Eve suddenly wondered if this was all an elaborate fantasy she had concocted. Would she wake up back in her cell in Azkaban, and laugh about her crazy dream of trying to save a Maledictus from an impossible curse while helping her son steal wands and win hearts for a goblin rebellion? No - she wouldn't have laughed about it. It had been a long time since she had laughed there, alone in the dark and cold. And she didn't think it was a dream. Whatever happened, though, she had commitments. To her friends. To Liam. It might be the end of her freedom - or her life. Either way, the price was worth paying.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

Wands. Of course. In order to truly be on the same level as human wizards, the goblins would need the tools of the trade. The question remained - how were they to gather wands without tipping off the authorities? It wasn't common for wizards to purchase a second wand unless they had broken the one in their possession. There were, however, several repositories of unused wands that didn't lie in shops.

"I agree that the playing field needs to be levelled. If we could procure the items without actually breaking the law, that would be beneficial. If all they can charge us with is breaking a law of common decency, then we are likely to emerge unscathed. If felonies are committed outside of that, we could be held accountable for them even if we are successful. So, that is to say, I think we should focus on various...underused resources. For example, there are probably boxes of wands taken from expelled students sitting in a corner somewhere. They don't belong to anyone, nor have they been put up for sale..." Rosemary trailed off with a shrug.

There certainly weren't masses of such wands lying about, but there were more places than Hogwarts that might be in possession of relinquished items.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers, Cambria Morehouse, and Liam Pelling

Cambria had been sitting quietly, listening, lost in thought. Abruptly, she chimed in, "Another option would be the wands of deceased witches and wizards." Hastily, she added, "Mind you, I'm not suggesting grave robbing. But some may not have had their wands buried with them, and the family would have no further use for the wands other than sentimental value - it's unlikely the wand could simply be passed down. If we could talk people into being amenable to recognizing goblins as people, perhaps they would be willing to donate wands in memory of their loved ones."

Liam's eyes shone. "Yes, that... that could work!" he said excitedly - though his mother suspected he might not be as averse to grave robbing as Cambria was if it helped his cause. "Yes, this is a good start. Excellent. I just want to say... thank you all. Truthfully, I never imagined I would have your support. I thought you would say I'm just crazy. This means more than I can say. It gives me hope."

"Of course we support you," Eve said. "It's the right thing. And also... I'm your mother and I love you." Eve wasn't quite sure how that admission would be received.

But Liam's eyes immediately misted up. He gulped and looked away. "Love you too, Mum," he whispered.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

They'd parted ways that night with at least some semblance of a plan. She was unnaturally concerned for Liam as she had a feeling that youth's ideals of exuberance and immunity would perhaps cause him trouble in this endeavour of his. Not that she didn't think it was worth it. Quite the opposite. It was that she had the benefit of observing history with an objective lens that she could see that something that began in the same way as it always had would end the same way it always did. True, the people and the times had changed, but mindsets had a funny way of remaining stagnant.

Rosemary had gotten the ball rolling on inviting goblins to come as guest speakers to Hogwarts. It had taken some convincing to get the Headmaster to agree to allow goblins on the grounds - especially without giving too much away. Certainly her aim was to improve staff and student opinion of goblins, and that was an important dialogue to have with the Headmaster, however the bit about it being the start of a quiet revolution was perhaps too much to reveal at this point in time. It wasn't something that bothered her - keeping things from her superior - but it was something she found she needed to keep in mind. She inherently trusted and respected McGonagall, but she also knew that there were things the woman would be unable to do simply because of her position at the school. It was better to leave the riskier work to herself and her compatriots.

Liam was slotted to speak at the next gathering in the Great Hall and though she looked forward to it, she also knew it would be all to easy to lose the battle there before they'd even started. With any luck, they'd get the student body behind the idea and then let them overwhelm their professors. That thought brought a smile to her face. Oh that would be a delicious day to see some of those staunch members have to share a table with a goblin professor and show them deference.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Eve Travers and Liam Pelling

The Great Hall was packed to the gills for the gathering. Liam was a little bit surprised that so many students had shown up to a voluntary lecture during their free time. Was everyone so interested in their cause already?

"So many people, Mum..." Liam whispered.

"I said I'd give them extra credit for Potions if they came," Eve replied with blunt honesty. She wasn't an easy teacher - though she was trying to be a good and useful one - and she had figured the promise of extra marks might sweeten the pot a bit. Seeing that Liam was looking a little crestfallen that the students hadn't come just for the cause of goblin rights, Eve added gently, "They just don't know yet, Liam. The first step was getting them in the door. Now that we've done that, you and your friends have a chance to convince them. You can do it. I believe in you."

Her speech was becoming more fluent and natural again now that she was using it more, and the words were flowing more smoothly now. The staccato wrap of disconnected thoughts now tended to make an appearance only when she was stressed, or when she was overwhelmed by too many voices and ideas.

Eve's words seemed to make Liam buck up a bit. "We can do it!" he agreed. "They're here. They're going to listen. Maybe they won't get it the first time, but... but they'll learn, won't they?"

"I hope so," Eve replied. "I think so."

The speech was - as far as Eve could tell - a success. A young goblin woman named Shishguk, about Liam's age, spoke with great emotion and eloquence about growing up on the periphery of the wizarding world, treated as less than human. The students seemed engrossed, and the shuffling of seats and feet soon quieted into rapt attention.

"Well," McGonagall asked after Shishguk was finished speaking. "That was quite... something. Are there any questions?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Rosemary Bain

The students were reasonably well behaved, though she expected some churlishness from children of more...upstanding families. She wasn't disappointed, which was unfortunate, as several youths joked with their peers about Goblins in general. Nothing terribly well pointed, and better still, nothing terribly boisterous as they seemed to sense that the whole of the student body had attentions focused elsewhere.

As in broader society, there would always be pockets of resistance to new ideas and betterment of self. Rosemary chose to focus instead on the majority. The call for questions was a good idea, though Rosemary shot a stern glance at one of the raucous young men from Ravenclaw who looked about to say something distinctly below his mettle, cowing the lad into silence.

Fortunately, a young girl's voice soon piped overhead. From Hufflepuff, she thought - a first year.

The youth's eyes were wide and sparkling with excitement. "Excuse me, I have a question! I want to know if you wanted to go to Hogwarts when you were little! Did you think it would be great fun?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Shishguk

"I did," Shishguk said, her voice remaining steady but inflecting with emotion. "I was devastated when my father explained to me why I would never be able to go. At the time, I was so focused on all the things that young wizards and witches would learn, that were denied to me. 'Goblins have our own magic,' my father said. And he was right. Our magic is different, but not lesser. That didn't take the sting out of it, though. Every year, I watched students get on the train to go off and learn all sorts of things that I would never know. To learn their fancy spells, and read their ancient books. I know to you, it seems like a chore sometimes. But for me it was a fantasy."

Her eyes passed over the students in the room - their matching robes and ties, all under their house banners.

"Looking back, I realize it wasn't just about learning spells. It was about wanting to belong. About seeing the camaraderie of your fellow beings, and realizing you would never be allowed among them because they saw you as something... lesser. That was where the true burden lay."

Eve turned to Rosemary. "I think your idea was a success!" she whispered.