Mek-Sha Nightlife (Star Wars) - Cont'd

Quaxo9

Re: Mek-Sha Nightlife (Star Wars)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

The walk along this stretch of beach was becoming meditative. She knew the cut of the islands on the horizon, how many palms there were between the junction of the trail and house, the colour of the sand. The planet itself wasn't exactly the most relaxing place in the galaxy, but this piece...even in the chaos that periodically engulfed it...this piece was haven. The laughter of children reached her ears and she almost smiled. The Mahr kids were active and they seemed to compel everyone around them to go outside and enjoy themselves. While not terribly used to the heat, Teizi couldn't help but agree that 'outside' was the best place to be.

She didn't sense Siralai in the immediate vicinity, but spotted Pyrran and Vette in the shade and thought they might like to know that the mission to Mek-Sha had been successful and that answers would be coming soon. Her approach was at her usual thoughtful pace, the length of her gait being the only reason for her swift arrival. Nodding politely, she opened her mouth to render a greeting - but stopped short, looking over Pyrran's head at the stretch of beach behind him - her eyes squinting against the sun.

It was a dust cloud. And it seemed to be approaching. Even as she focused on it, the cause became clear. It was a herd of tauntaun in a midst of a raging stampede. Before she could think that this was the very last place she expected to see a tauntaun, before she could reason that moving the people and the beach-goer paraphernalia off the beach would be much safer, before she could take a step back and remember that as a Jedi her duty was to safeguard the people, she stretched out her hand toward Pyrran.

"Lightsaber." When nothing appeared in her hand, she glanced down, her usually calm visage tense with nigh-emotion. "Your lightsaber. I need to borrow it." Teizi reached to her belt, snagged one of her own weapons from it and offered it to the man with something bordering impatience. "Here, trade me. Quickly."

When the trade was made, the Jedi ran through the copse of trees and onto the beach, quartering away from the herd. The red blade ignited above her head as she began making high pitched squeals and beeps, not unlike the language of droids. For a moment, nothing happened - the herd continued on its path of fury directly down the beach. Teizi waved the lightsaber around maniacally, staring intently at the herd - looking for the one that was leading the charge. Finally, the third beast back looked at her and bellowed, lunging sideways to run up toward the jungle where the obnoxious light and sound was coming from. The matriarch. The Jedi broke into a run directly toward the herd, extinguishing the blade just before the first animal reached her and disappearing into the mass of hair and horns and sand.

The animals had slowed with the change in direction, but their progress stopped suddenly with a great series of calls and bellows and dirt flying up into the air. Six tauntaun paced and snorted in place, raising and lowering their heads with both anxiety and relief. There was no Jedi standing among them. As the stampede-induced sandstorm settled, onlookers would see the body of a tauntaun on the ground, with Teizi lying across her great neck.

For a moment, the stillness suggested that the Jedi's actions had been sacrificial - that is, until an explosive sneeze shook the ground where the two were lying and Teizi reached her hand up to pat the beast on the muzzle. She stood up, holding the animal's reins and steadied the herd matriarch as she thrashed into a standing position once more and then laid her chin on Teizi's shoulder. The remaining animals immediately started a series of strange calls, almost cooing, and pressed in around the human. The matriarch sneezed down the front of Jedi's robes as one of the more affectionate of the herd took one of her braids in her mouth and chewed it.

The Jedi didn't seem to mind, however. Her lips couldn't hold back the broad smile even as her face seemed to glow with something more than health.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

She paused, then her lip twitched at the start of a smile that didn't quite manifest. Still, the girl was clearly humoured by Siralai's frank assessment. Of course, there was a truth to it that she couldn't ignore. These people had no reason to allow her to stick around after what she'd done. Arksynn even had no reason to forgive her and carry on as they had because the key reason for the state of their current relationship was no longer a factor. Maybe...maybe there was a chance.

But for how long could she count on their good graces?

"I might blow up something again. I might hurt you. What then?"

The unspoken question was 'Where is the line?'. Because there had to be a line. She'd crossed too many not to suspect more lay ahead.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Pyrran was debating whether he should try to rescue the Jedi - and what, exactly, he should do, if so - when Teizi emerged unscathed. More than just unscathed. She emerged in triumph.

The Sith raised an eyebrow. "Impressive," he said. That was all the compliment Teizi was likely to get from him on the matter, but it was a genuine one.

"I understand that your Force abilities are difficult to control right now," Siralai told Reyth sincerely. "Trystan and I understand that things may be... volatile... for awhile. That is a risk we choose to take. But yes, there are limits. I cannot allow you to intentionally harm innocents. I hope that you would not make that choice. You have the capacity to make other choices. If that were to happen, though, I have to stop you."

She raised a hand in a gesture of calm, and added, "I'm not saying I would kill you. I'm sure a smart young Sith like you has managed to figure out by now that I'm quite invested in keeping you alive. I would stop you. I would do my best to stop you in a way that would preserve you also. But I would stop you. That's the line."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Padawan Dallyn

That answer...wasn't what he expected. Or rather, it wasn't what he wanted to hear. Theron was right - he was all tangled up - and he wanted someone to just tell him what he should do next. Which, if he was honest with himself, was part of what he struggled with being a Jedi.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I have some thinking to do first. It's just...it's just that I feel like when you're a Jedi, you don't get to be 'you' anymore, you know what I mean? Everything I am is wrapped up this," he pointed to his beaded braid, the mark of a padawan. "I still have my name, but it doesn't seem to mean much - nevermind personal interests. It's just like the Order expects you to empty out and be nothing inside but the Code and I don't know if that's even right."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

Teizi didn't hear Pyrran over the wheezing and stomping and moaning of the herd of tauntaun that continued to press in around her, smelling her hair, licking her face and mouthing her robes. It was the wheezing that captured her attention. She pressed her fingers to the matriarch's chest and put her head against the beast's neck, heedless of the atrocious-smelling wastes smearing her cheek. The tauntaun's breath rattled in her chest and the animal sneezed again, sending phlegm everywhere. Pneumonia of some sort to be certain.

Teizi moved her head away from the matriarch's body, visually inspecting the rest of the herd. One had a swollen, misshapen arm - dislocated, possibly recently. Several of them shuffled uncomfortably - perhaps their feet, built for snow, had been damaged by the sand? Most of their horns had been shaved down mechanically, the odd one missing entirely. And the smell. Certainly tauntaun weren't known to smell good by any stretch of the imagination, but these tauntaun in particular simply smelled wrong. Teizi suspected the tropical diet was one that the beasts were ill-equipped to digest.

But, the first thing they needed was fresh water. The animals were drooping with exhaustion and she wondered just how long they'd been stampeding. They were clearly domesticated, though ill-cared for, so she doubted that they'd been roaming free on the island. That was a matter for after she made sure they were safe. Leading the matriarch toward the trees, the rest of the herd shuffling along behind, Teizi tied the reins to a tree and hurried off to get some water and set up a temporary corral.

Scrounging through the bush, she found the shell of an old speeder and brushed it out as best she could before setting it upside down against a tree and blocking it in place with some stones. Then, she gathered some vines and looped them around some trees approximately waist-height for a tauntaun, making a circle. Next, she pumped buckets of water and quickly carried them back and forth until the makeshift trough was full to the brim. Food would have to come later. For now, this sad excuse for a shelter would have to do.

The tauntaun began squallering in alarm. Teizi arrived just in time to see a man on a speeder approaching the herd, who were milling about the matriarch and nudging her in an attempt to get her moving. The lead animal was still tied to the tree, but was settled onto the ground, head bent low, chest heaving. Defenceless before her persecutor.

The man hadn't seen Teizi, having homed in on his missing herd. So when she stepped into his path, he was startled - and failed to cover up his fear for a moment before a sneer settled in place. The Jedi had her arms folded over her chest, her ice-coloured eyes betraying nothing about her. Though he stood on his machine, he couldn't quite look Teizi in the eye and she took advantage of this height difference without making a show of it.

"Are these your animals?" She inquired, voice toneless and low, each word clipped.

The man swallowed, then began his spiel, "Ah, yes Master Jedi! Thank-you for finding my dear animals for me! Without them, my business would be ruined - I am Bralm, head of Bralm's Adventure Tours here on Rishi - if you are looking for adven...."

"Bralm. These animals are sick and injured."

"Ah, yes, Master Jedi it is so, but as I said, I cannot run my business without them! How can people explore the far reaches without a mount? Who will carry the supplies? If only I had the money, I would certainly obtaining healing for my animals, but tourism has been slow..."

"I will pay you for the animals. And you can use speeders to transport your people and goods."

The man perked up at the mention of pay - the glint in his eye suggested that he would take the Jedi for all she had just for the sheer sport of it. He would be very disappointed. Teizi proved herself to be an excellent haggler and they settled on a price that was far too reasonable for his tastes. Still, it was hard to say no to a Jedi. She sent the credits to his account and he bowed his head in thanks and made to leave, but she stopped him. She stretched out her hand to catch his attention and as he made eye contact she spoke.

"You will never purchase another living creature again for as long as you live."

"I will never...you're right Master Jedi, speeders are much more economical. My thanks for taking these miserable beasts off my hands."

As Bralm left in the way in which he came, the thought occurred to Teizi that perhaps she had abused her power just a little bit by using the Force to persuade the man to change his ways. That thought seemed to crack the frigid wall she'd built and she blinked in the sun as though she'd been sleep walking. The tauntaun had quieted and she went to them now, touching them gently as she passed, making her way to the lead animal. With some convincing, she got her to stand and then led all seven of them to their new enclosure. They all broke into a run when they smelled the fresh water and drank greedily, lifting their heads only to bugle in satisfaction.

The tauntaun thus occupied, Teizi closed off the last loop of the corral and took a moment to watch them. She owned seven tauntaun. It had cost her most of her savings, though she'd done her best to talk the man down without cheating him out of a livelihood, and these animals needed medical care. Hopefully someone in the village would have the tools she'd need to get these animals back in shape.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

What Siralai might not have noticed was what a relief it was for Reyth to hear that the former Jedi would stop her if she did anything horribly crazy. Being out of control like that was terrifying. Being encouraged to be out of control like that was terrifying. Being unable to clean up the aftermath was ... humiliating. Perhaps that's what Anewe wanted - for her to live in fear of herself and as such, be utterly at the mercy of someone like Anewe.

Perhaps. Perhaps that was a place to start. If only she knew how to control the outbursts. That was the key. She had to break this thing inside her that she couldn't control and in that way regain control over her whole self. And once she had that control - then she could decide who she was and what she was going to do with herself.

She raised her hands, dropped them, raised them again, but paused, her eyes still somewhere on the floor. It was a long minute before she finally looked at Siralai.

"I think I need help. I want to be in control of myself again - but I am broken. I...need help."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Theron Shan

"I can't tell you you're wrong, kid," Theron said. "Sure, it's not all that absolute - the Jedi have things they care about. Things they pursue. But they take a lot from you. They require you to give a lot for reasons you may never understand."

Even when you were just the collateral damage. Even when it was your mother, not you, who was the Jedi.

"SIS takes a lot from you too. Just so you're not going in blind. Maybe not in the same way. Maybe they... mold you, more than they take things away. But there are things that are demanded."

Not everything, though. For example, this thing with Jasper - whatever it was. If he'd been a Jedi as planned, it never would have been an option. A romance with an agent might not be easy, but at least it was possible.

"I'm not saying I regret it. I chose the life I wanted. I can't imagine having a different one. I bet I can help you get in too, if you want. But you have to be sure. Once you're sure you're running to something, not just away from something that scares you more."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Siralai Mahr

"That's very brave, Reyth," Siralai said sincerely. "You're brave, and I'm proud of you. Of course I'll help. We all will. We'll support you. Teach you ways of using the Force that will help you get this under control. You're strong enough to do this, Reyth. You have it in you. But you don't have to do it alone."

She reached out slowly, and rested her hand on Reyth's for a moment in a gesture of solidarity.

"I'm glad we found each other. I believe our paths crossed for a purpose, and we'll both be the better for it."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Dallyn

Running to - not just running away. That made sense. Theron may not be Jedi, but it seemed like he'd inherited some of the Jedi wisdom people were always going on about. Wisdom he still hadn't seemed to have picked up. Still, it wasn't reason enough to doubt his service in the Order. Theron was right - he had a lot of thinking to do.

"Thanks Theron. I appreciate you being straight with me. I'll...have to think on everything. If I get in touch with you someday, I guess you'll know what I decided."

It seemed a bit premature to be suggesting that he wasn't going to see the SIS agent before he made up his mind, but both ships were now making their approach into Rishi and Dallyn had this feeling that things just weren't going to be the same there when they landed. Not because he thought anything had happened on the planet while they'd been gone, but because he felt like a different person coming back.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

Gentle, appropriate, physical contact. Reyth allowed the heat of Siralai's hand to pass into her, but left her own residing deep in her core. She couldn't trust herself - not right now, not just yet. The glimmer of hope remained, however, that the former Jedi was right. That perhaps she would be better for having met her. Time would tell.

A bit embarrassed by the conversation, Reyth looked for a way to move forward without losing the momentum she felt that she'd just gained. She removed her hand from Siralai's by simply stepping away and she picked up the meditation scroll, fully intending to begin her commune with the Force right there. But was that the best idea? This was a Jedi's ship, after all. The place did stink of the Light.

And she wasn't sure if she was even doing it right.

Today was certainly a day for swallowing pride. If only pride could nourish her - she'd never be hungry again. But for today, she was hungry and she was foundering. Reyth paused, looking at Siralai again.

"I will see if Rossi wants to meditate with me."

The signing was fast, and the Sith's exit was equally quick, but there was no mistaking the change in the girl's eye. It it lay a vestige of hope long forgotten.