Friends in High Places

Quaxo9

Re: Friends in High Places

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

That horrible sound. The howling buzzing in her ears threatened to split her skull in two. She tried to lift her hand to press it to her temple, but she could only manage to shift her shoulder. Reyth's lip curled in a snarl, though her eyes remained firmly shut. Why couldn't she manage to do perform such a simple task. Where was she, anyway. What happened?

With great effort, she peeled her eyes open, the light stabbing her brain and bringing the snarl back to her face. Her chest heaved with the effort. Panting, Reyth forced her eyes open again, more slowly this time. It felt like her eyelids were made of sandpaper. Her mouth was dry, but there was no hope of relief - not anymore. She didn't know why she expected it after all these years.

It didn't explain what she was doing here, though. Lying on a small bed in the little cottage. Her brow furrowed in confusion as she took in more of the room. As for what had transpired prior to waking up...blank.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Kismet Dineen

Another smile curled Kismet's lips. She could see the reaction she had caused, and it amused her. The fun was harmless. Neva would see that soon enough. But Kismet wasn't going to be the one to enlighten her. Neva would have to take charge of her own fate.

When Tacia and Shandri entered the room, Kismet didn't recognize them right away. She had a fixed image of them in her mind - a snapshot of them chained and collared, wearing next to nothing and posed suggestively, faces blank and eyes empty, prisoners of trauma and Spice as well as of the Hutt. The two young women who followed Visper into the room to meet the Mandalorian visitor were so unlike what Kismet remembered. They were unbound, of course. They were dressed normally. They were alert and aware of their surroundings. They both looked healthier; the human girl had put on a few much-needed pounds, with her illnesses treated and a proper diet provided. Kismet could hardly believe it. She drew in her breath at the sight of them.

The girls approached timidly, unsure how to react to the presence of the bounty hunter they had seen at such a dark time.

Kismet met their eyes in turn. "You have done well," she told them with solemn sincerity. "I came here to rescue you, but I see you need no rescue. I am proud of you, and grateful to those who did what I could not."

"Thank you for coming back," Shandri replied with equal sincerity.

They might no longer be in need of actual assistance, but the fact that someone had noticed them and cared enough about their plight to follow them to Rishi still mattered.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

"Maybe the Force be with you," Siralai repeated. Then, dismissing the formality, she clasped Teizi's hand and shook it, a farewell to both a comrade-in-arms, and now a friend. "Be careful. Call if you need us. And come back when you can."

There would always be a place for Teizi with the Mahrs, whenever she needed or wanted it.

"Hi," Rossi said when she saw Reyth starting to stir.

She unfolded herself from the table she was sitting on - though she was short, she still had the gangly build of a teenager, and her legs were long for her frame. With absentminded agility, she dropped to a standing position.

"Want some water?" she asked Reyth. "I can get you some food too if you're hungry. You kind of went nova back there and then passed out."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

There was the briefest of pauses before she reached out and grasped Siralai's hand in her own, a genuine smile softening her features. The simple gesture was a meaningful one for this simple girl-turned Jedi. In a way, it was a timely reminder. Perhaps her roots helped set her apart from those who followed a man like Master Jesk. She had never served in the military - didn't know anyone who had until she'd been scooped up by the Temple - so perhaps she just didn't understand what drove him in this direction. That could either work to her benefit, or her downfall. 'Know thine enemy' was a cliched saying for a reason. Still, the warmth of the farewell was a balm on the wounds of the day.

"Thank-you Siralai. I will. Safe travels - we'll be in touch soon."

Her padawan stood at the door, seemingly lost in thought. Teizi thought it a bit strange that he didn't bid anyone farewell - he had seemed to be forming bonds with some of the Mahrs and with Theron Shan, if she wasn't mistaken. Not everyone was good at saying goodbye, she reasoned, as the two stepped back out into the sunlight. The next order of business wasn't exactly in line with what she needed to do on Tython. Her tauntaun browsed lazily in the shade until they caught sight of her and met her at the stick fence, each fighting to be touched first. She didn't fight the smile that came to her lips, but began patting them each in turn, fixing a rope to their halters in preparation for moving the herd.

"You're not...bringing them with us?"

At last, Dallyn broke his silence. There was something in his voice. Something had changed. Teizi turned to meet his eyes. The boy was surprised, perhaps agitated? She should have seen the signs and looked after him sooner. They still needed to talk about what happened on Mek-Sha.

"Yes, padawan, they are coming with us." A gentle chastisement. "When I took ownership of them, I made a pact. That I would care for them, keep them safe. And here, they are not safe. Tython would not have been my first choice, but until I find a place for them where they can be free from harm, they will stay in my care."

"Of course, Master." The boy ducked his head, cutting off his last word as his lips pursed shut.

This was going to be a long flight...but in the same way, it might not be long enough.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

She focused on Rossi, staring at the girl as she sorted through the information delivered in those few short sentences. Finally, she nodded. Yes, she wanted water. Food would be nice too. But going nova? Oh. She didn't remember that.

Reyth managed to slither onto her side, pausing to take a few breaths before tossing her legs over the edge of the bed in an effort to use the momentum to sit up. It didn't work. Her legs simply dangled there, short of the floor, while her torso remained glued to the bed. Why was she so worn out? How long had her...episode...lasted this time? Did she hurt anyone?

That thought caught her off guard. Her body relaxed in its strange position as she thought it over. Her past episodes had been focused on Arksynn, but...he hadn't even been there, had he? What *had* happened? Reyth shut her eyes and searched the darkness for answers. There were flickers there. Images flitting past like stars at hyperspeed. But she caught a face - Trystan? Her eyes popped open. She had to know if he was alive.

Her face smacked into the floor, though her right hand had been in a position to break her fall somewhat, getting up hadn't quite worked the way she had expected. Still, she fought on - pushing her knee and hand against the floor, willing it away so that she could get up. She had to know if she'd killed him. The look on his face in the image...she feared the worst.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Trystan Mahr

Trystan was patched up and back on his feet. He was still a bit bruised, his ribs ached with every breath, and he would need to see a dentist for the chipped teeth, but he had been pronounced out of danger from the concussion and free to move about the house.

He counted himself incredibly fortunate. When he stood up to two Jedi - just a pilot/mechanic with a blaster - he hadn't expected to survive. He had, though, and Reyth had too. That was a relief. The thought of what could have happened to her at the hands of the Jedi... well, he couldn't dwell on the loss that they had somehow miraculously avoided.

Once he had reassured Siralai and the kids that he was okay, Trystan went to check on Reyth. He knocked on the door, but there was no answer. He hadn't expected one - she couldn't speak, after all - but when the door didn't open, he started to get worried. He knocked again and slid the door open... and saw Reyth on the floor.

"Oh no!"

Panic rose. She must have been more hurt than anyone had realized.

"Reyth... I'll get help."

He had come to apologize, but making sure she was safe had become more important.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

There was the briefest of moments as she lay there, cheek pressed against the floor, that she felt an intense relief. His footsteps. She recognized Trystan's footsteps. At least she hadn't killed him. At least...

Though, why did she even care? Her brow furrowed in a scowl. Of course, it was obvious - if the Jedi found out she'd killed her husband, Siralai would end her. But the little voice in her whispered a different story. That maybe, just maybe, she'd feel terrible if she'd killed a good man.

An instant later, she was filled with a mixture of embarrassment and annoyance. Sure, she was on the floor, but she wasn't a weakling...if only she could prove it. Reyth lifted her hand and waved it at Trystan, peering at him with one eye while making a face that seemed to be suggesting that she was just lying there of her own accord.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Trystan Mahr

Of course Trystan didn't believe that Reyth was just casually hanging out on the floor. She didn't seem injured, though, and she was clearly conscious and alert - and not seeking any assistance. He decided to just let it go.

"Reyth, I'm so relieved you're alright," Trystan said. With effort, he managed to get himself into a sitting position beside her so they could talk on more even terms. He was still sore; getting up might be a challenge, but he'd deal with that later. "I was so worried. When the Jedi went after you... we were all worried. Thank goodness you're safe! And you've certainly demonstrated several times by now how powerful you are."

He caught his breath, then said, "I owe you an apology, Reyth. I'm sorry you felt unsafe. I'm sorry that I gave you the impression that you can't trust me. That you felt you had to handle this on your own. I should have done a better job of showing you my support. Please know that I'm sorry, and that I'll try to do better with my actions, not just words. I hope to be someone you can rely on, someday."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

She'd allowed her head to shift toward the floor, eyes focusing on the wall. It was embarrassing to be...cared about. She should be tougher than this. Stronger. But, Reyth had to admit it was...nice. When Arksynn worried about her, well, she almost felt like it was deserved. Her right to have that from him. But these people, she held no sway over. There were no strings from the past to pull. Their concern made no sense, but she found it was in a pleasant way.

Trystan's apology completely confused her. She turned her head so that he would see her squinting at him with both eyes. It...hadn't been like that. It wasn't like that at all. Support? Rely on? What was he even going on about?

Reyth had left knowing full well that she was the problem here. She had cost Siralai her vision. She'd thrown multiple tantrums - destroying property and scaring all the kids. The Jedi had come to kill her, so she thought she owed it to this patient family to...take some responsibility. It was only fair.

Her hand fluttered up. No, not good enough. Taking a deep breath, she rolled over onto her back, freeing up both hands. She paused, breathing hard, then lifted them to speak.

"It was me they wanted to kill. It was responsible to do...to go." the hands fell, but she hoped that it would help Trystan understand why she went out on her own.

A Sith. Admitting she was selfishly trying to be selfless.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Trystan Mahr

"I see," Trystan said when Reyth had finished. He was... surprised. And moved. It hadn't occurred to him that Reyth might have any motive other than self-preservation, which was why he assumed that her decision to leave had indicated a lack of connection.

"That was very brave of you. It was... generous. I see that now. But Reyth, please don't consider that necessary. You don't need to leave. You don't have to fight alone. We want to fight by your side. We want to be there for you. We can all look out for each other. We can be a team. If you want, for as long as you want."