Friends in High Places

Monkey Kitty

Re: Friends in High Places

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Pyrran gave Arksynn an approving nod. "Well done," he said briefly. Despite the situation, he should still be instructing his apprentice - shouldn't he?

Visper nodded to Neva. "This must be a distraction," she replied in a matching whisper. "We should slip away while Jesk is focused on the situation here, and try to find them."

Leaving was a risk, certainly - but so was staying, with three wild card Jedi wandering around. Visper was a little rueful that the potential miscreants were theoretically on their own side... although in the current circumstances, the sides were a bit more complicated than red versus blue.

Meanwhile, Trystan was looking for Reyth. And three Jedi were looking for Ebben Mahr.

Reyth's rather dramatic gesture solved Trystan's dilemma, and complicated the Jedis'. Trystan immediately started making his way toward her. The Jedi conferred briefly, and then two of them also followed, while the third continued toward the house.

This convergence of paths brought Trystan and the two roaming Jedi unexpectedly face to face.

"Reyth!" Trystan had called... and then suddenly, two Jedi appeared. Trystan moved to block their path.

"Out of the way!" one of them shouted.

Trystan planted his feet and tried not to speak. There was nothing in his clothing that would indicate his origins. His face was just a face. But as soon as he spoke, he wouldn't be able to hide the Imperial accent. At that point, all bets were off.

One of the Jedi shoved him, roughly. He tried to stand his ground, but suddenly there was a lightsaber in his face. He would try to fight back, of course, blaster in each hand... but hopefully Reyth could hold her own, because he wouldn't last long.

"Reyth, they're coming!" he shouted. This would leave no doubt that he was an Imperial, but it didn't matter much at this point. It was imperative to warn Reyth.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

As she felt the rage begin to stir, she felt a small sense of pride. She was right. She could control it. It didn't have to own her. The power could be hers.

Trystan's voice rang out. What was he doing here? How was she going to be a distraction if he was out here too?

Why did it matter? He was just conspiring against her with the rest of them. Waiting for the opportunity to strike. What a fool she'd been to believe the lies of a Jedi and her so-called daughter. It was a trick. She could only count on herself. They'd pay.

Reyth shuddered as the thoughts washed over her - realizing far too late that while she might have figured out how to initiate the thing, it was something else entirely to control it.

The girl's hood few back with the gust of wind springing up from around her feet. Her eyes, black with Force Sickness. Lightning arced around her, looping outward and striking nearby trees, setting them afire. There was a moment of hesitation as she turned toward Trystan and the two Jedi - the briefest moment when he would see he her eyes - wide with fear. Then, there was nothing but Darkness where a moment before, a scared little Sith had stood.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Trystan Mahr

As Trystan looked at Reyth, and saw the emotion in her face - the anger, quickly replaced by fear - he realized how thoroughly he had failed. He hadn't protected her. He hadn't given her a modicum of safety. He hadn't managed to convey their support to her, or shown her that she wasn't alone.

"I'm sorry, Reyth," he said, though he doubted she could hear him. Or cared.

The other apology he owed was one he couldn't give. Trystan recognized that he was about to die. Despite her explosion of power, Reyth wasn't going to have a chance to kill him, because the two Jedi were going to kill him first. He could see it in their eyes, the way they looked at him. Like he wasn't even a person. They were entirely used to equating Imperials with mere fodder.

He would never see Siralai or his children again, and he had no way of telling them how sorry he was for letting them down.

Trystan managed to dodge the first lightsaber swing, awkwardly. It left him unsteady and off balance. He fired a couple of blaster shots in response, but they went harmlessly wide. The second strike of the lightsaber caught him in the ribs, tearing clothing more than flesh but scorching his skin, and he lost his balance and fell to his knees.

He could still see Reyth, of course. The lightning. The burning trees. He hoped she was alright - but there was nothing he could do for her. Not directly, at least. But if he gave her a head start to escape the Jedi, she just might have a chance.

Trystan threw himself bodily at the nearest Jedi, tackling him at about knee level. The Jedi shouted as he careened into his fellow, and the three of them went down in a pile... with Trystan on the bottom. The two Jedi extricated themselves quickly, then started aiming kicks at Trystan's head and chest. Even as he started to black out, he hoped it hadn't been entirely in vain.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Reyth

Though her ability to recognize persons and understand situations was exceedingly impaired, lightsabers inevitably garnered her attention. Her far-flung fingers formed fists and the dark energy began to coalesce around her body. Lightning shot out from her dark shroud, snaking through the air toward the Jedi. While the lightning around her crackled purple, the spear she sent out was white hot.

Her mouth was open in a silent scream, presumably of rage. Her fists flew forward, each punch to the air sending out another bolt. The storm around her whirled on. Reyth stepped forward...and the storm paused.

Too much too soon, it would appear. The lightning fell away first, then the wind, then finally the dark energies. Reyth stood unsteadily on her feet, blinking in the sunlight. She looked around her, seemed surprised by the fire, then collapsed.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Visper Averrod

When Visper and Neva arrived on the scene, they saw two bodies on the ground. For a moment, Visper thought they were corpses, but then she reevaluated. Both Trystan and Reyth were unconscious but breathing. Now, to keep them that way.

That was going to be challenging, with two Jedi standing over them with lightsabers drawn, apparently trying to decide what to do. Slaughtering unconscious enemies was a big step, even for trained warriors, but they had come to kill the Sith girl anyway - why wait for her to be conscious again, and therefore a threat?

Trystan, they didn't even seem to find worthy of consideration. One of the Jedi nearly stepped on him making his way toward Reyth. There certainly wasn't any thought given to making sure he survived.

As the other raised his blade, about to plunge it into Reyth, Visper's own dualsaber flared. It was a familiar sound, and the two Jedi looked over.

"Enough!" Visper said. "Step away."

"Master Averrod..." one of the Jedi replied, shocked and apparently unsure of whose orders he should now be following.

The other Jedi was unimpressed. "Silence, Sith!" he hissed at Visper. "This is no business of yours!"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Neva Xolte
"Hey now, no need to be rude." Her blaster was in her hand, tilted harmlessly upward as her other hand supported her elbow. "I know a lot of perfectly lovely Sith."

Neva may have been cracking a joke, but she had an eye on Trystan's still form. These Jedi...were not the best Jedi she'd ever met. Hopefully they could get them to back down in time to make sure their friends were alright.

"So, how about maybe you two back down a bit. And let us check on our people. While you leave. I think we can agree that'd be nice, right Visper?"

Arksynn

The familiar smack of dark energy made the hair on the back of his neck stand up and his blades shake in his hands. Reyth. Another episode? But...she couldn't possibly. It was everything he could do to keep from running toward the commotion, despite the fact that he usually was running away from it. It was just that...usually it happened because of him. Who had managed to get Reyth so worked up that she'd let go?
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The hesitant Jedi sheathed his lightsaber. Visper was about to breathe a sigh of relief. The other, however, made direct eye contact with her and said, "We came here to execute Sith, not negotiate with them." Then, before Visper could do more than take a few running steps closer, he turned his blade downward toward the unconscious form of Reyth.

He never managed to strike the blow. Blaster shots rang out, and he crumpled to the ground.

For a moment, Visper couldn't figure out what had happened. She glanced over at Neva - but the fire hadn't come from her direction. Now that Visper had a second to think, she realized that it had been the sound of more than one blaster, anyway.

Who...?

A small ground of Mandalorians stepped into the clearing. Visper could not have been more shocked. Had Neva's friend Akaavi brought them here? But as soon as the thought crossed her mind, she realized it was probably not the case. These Mandalorians bore the insignia of Clan Cadera, if Visper was reading their symbols correctly.

The apparent leader of the group was a vermillion-skinned Twi'lek woman. Temporarily ignoring both Visper and Neva, the Twi'lek addressed the surviving Jedi. "You and your friend made poor choices. Him more than you. Go. Tell them what happened. What will happen again, if your people continue to harry Clan Cadera."

The Jedi turned and ran. The Mandalorians watched impassively until he was out of sight.

Then the Twi'lek woman turned to Visper and Neva with a nod of the head. "My name is Kismet Dineen," she said. "Can I assume the enemy of my enemy is... if not my friend, at least not another enemy?"

Kismet seemed wary of Visper, but much more open toward Neva.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Neva Xolte

She realized that this was a tenuous situation. Mandos and Jedi weren't exactly the best mix, putting it mildly. Fine, mortal enemies. But still, they hadn't shot Visper on sight, so Neva thought this was a good sign.

"Good timing, Clan Cadera - and nice shooting! I think it's fair to say that with that kind of an entrance, you are among friends here. Visper here's a good egg - and there a few other Sith-friendly Jedi around, just a heads up. Though, I gotta ask, I didn't see any clan colours around here...no banners. So how did these particular Jedi manage to piss off your clan so bad that you'd show up just in time to save our Imperial friends here? Not that I'm complaining, of course. Just curious."

Teizi Lin

Just when things were starting to wind down a bit. The knight behind Master Jesk took a few steps forward with the burst of dark Force energy. She had an idea of who was behind that - as she suspected did Arksynn. The young Sith was wavering. Master Visper and Neva had disappeared - hopefully in the direction of Reyth. The balance was shifting away from harmony, and she didn't like it.

"Steady on. In my experience, it won't be long."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Visper Averrod-Iresso and Kismet Dineen

"We didn't come here for them," Kismet said.

Although her voice remained warily friendly, she managed to place so much disgusted emphasis on the word 'them' that it might have been a profanity.

She went on, "We came to Rishi for a rescue mission. Nothing to do with Jedi. These two saw one of our the first of our ships that arrived planetside and thought it would be easy prey. They attacked it and that one--" She motioned with a gloved hand, indicating the dead Jedi. "That one killed one of our guards. We could not let such a slight go unavenged."

Visper wasn't inclined to argue that point. If the Jedi had used their short time on Rishi to unwisely pick a fight with Mandalorians just because they thought one Mando ship was alone, and subsequently lost that gamble, she could hardly claim their fate was undeserved. She did have another question.

"You said rescue mission?" Visper asked. "Who are you rescuing?"

Kismet narrowed her eyes.

Visper held up her hands in a nonthreatening gesture. "I only ask because I thought maybe we can help. You did us a good turn back there. Maybe we can do one for you?" She was very aware of Trystan and Reyth unconscious on the ground, and maybe - certainly in Trystan's case - in need of medical attention, but Mandalorian situations could be diplomatically tricky, and she didn't want to mess this one up.

Kismet shrugged. "Very well. I suppose there's no harm in it. You wouldn't know them, anyhow. It's not the sort of thing Jedi make their business. Two slaves had been transferred between Hutts. We received word that one of those Hutts was killed. We're here to free those slaves. And don't ask - my reasons are my own."

Visper was astonished. "You came here for Tacia and Shandri?"

Kismet's wariness visibly deepened. "How do you know those names? Jedi don't care about slavery."

Visper didn't attempt to argue that point. Of course she personally cared about the enslavement of sentient beings - but when a force as powerful as the Jedi Order was making no concerted effort to end the galactic slave trade, she would be hard-pressed to claim Kismet was out of line.

Instead, she said, "It was a Sith colleague of mine who killed the Hutt. We already freed Tacia and Shandri. They were in bad shape - Tacia, especially, was quite ill. We were able to locate Bacta for her, and she's doing much better. My husband and I are adopting the girls."

"Adopting...?" Kismet repeated, baffled. "But they aren't children."

Visper shrugged. "That's true. But they aren't ready to be sent off on their own, either. They still need help and support. They still need a family."

Kismet stared Visper up and down... then fingered her blaster. This seemed like such a strange lie. The last time the Mandalorian Twi'lek had seen Shandri and Tacia, they had been scantily clad, wearing slave collars and chained to a Hutt, glassy-eyed and passive from Spice addiction. How was it possible that a Jedi was now claiming them as her kin?

"Is this true?" Kismet abruptly demanded of Neva, as the only present non-Jedi witness to the whole affair.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Siralai Mahr

Siralai felt the dark energy. The hairs on her arms stood up as faint static electricity built up in the air, and the atmosphere started to feel oppressive and heavy.

She knew what was happening. But how was she going to get there unobtrusively before it was too late?

Almost as quickly as it had arisen, though, the distant storm died down. Siralai wasn't sure whether to be relieved or terrified. She needed to go check on Reyth. But Jesk was standing directly in her way, and she wouldn't be able to get around him so easily.

"What was that?" Jesk demanded.

Siralai shrugged. "Just a freak storm, I'd imagine. The weather on Rishi is so changeable. What with the ocean and all. You know, we're on vacation here. If you want, we can just stop by Tython when we're done..."

She was stalling. They both knew it. But before he could call her on it, a winded Jedi dashed into the clearing, dripping sweat and panting like he'd run a marathon.

"Mandalorians!" he cried. "A whole horde of them! They were shooting at us."

"What? How many were there?"

"I don't know. Dozens. They attacked us. They killed Dario. They said if we ever attacked Clan Cadera again they would--"

"You fool! Mandalorians weren't the mission." Jesk drew his lightsaber, but his focus had drifted away from the people in the clearing, and he seemed poised to charge off in the direction of the chaos.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Siralai asked placidly. "Dozens of Mandalorians. All of whom are apparently very angry at you..."

Jesk looked torn for a moment, then defeated. Without acknowledging Siralai, he got on his comm and hastily called, "Retreat! Retreat! We're getting out of here." Very softly, he added, "Make sure you have the package and rendezvous at the ship."