Things Past (A Backstory Thread)

Quaxo9

Things Past (A Backstory Thread)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Hoth Five Years Ago

The pilot wasn't sure how long it had been since the battle ended. Time had lost all meaning in the cold and dark of the wreckage of his ruined fighter. He wasn't sure who had won, or even why they had been ordered here in the first place. This had been a mere skirmish; it wouldn't even merit a footnote in history. An unsatisfying thing to give his life for. And it had become increasingly obvious that he would, indeed, give his life. He had survived the crash, but he was badly injured with no way to summon help. Pinned almost motionless by debris, he couldn't even take an accurate measure of his wounds - and getting himself out was not even the faintest hope. If he didn't succumb to his injuries, hypothermia would take him. He wished he had some light. At least it was quiet...

Suddenly, metal creaked against metal as the door was roughly pried open. For a moment, he allowed himself to hope. Had the ground soldiers come to search for survivors? That hope was quickly dashed as his shattered cockpit was illuminated by the glow of a lightsaber, and he saw the swish of a robe. It could only be a Jedi. He was doomed. Any faint hope of a miracle was dashed. He wouldn't even be able to raise a hand to defend himself, futile as the gesture might be.

"Do it, then," he growled through gritted teeth. He wished the pain wasn't so obvious. He wished his voice didn't sound so shaky. He should be defiant and brave to the end, it was expected of the Imperial military - but he was afraid. He was afraid to die. "I know I can expect no mercy from a Jedi. Get on with it."

If only the Jedi hadn't found him, he might have managed to escape. Somehow. If only. At least it would be a quicker death than bleeding out or freezing. Surely some nameless, faceless, unimportant pilot wasn't worth the trouble of torturing... The lightsaber glow dipped near his chest, and he clenched his jaw and closed his eyes... then slowly slid them open again when he heard the sound of pierced metal but felt no pain. The Jedi had merely cut away the debris that pinned him to his seat, careful not to graze so much as his flight suit with the blade. Then she - the Jedi was a woman, he realized - dropped to her knees and placed her hand against his neck. He squirmed... but warmth was flowing from her hand. His wounds were closing, and the pain was receding. What was happening? The Jedi offered him her hand, and pulled him to his feet. Together, they climbed out of the wreckage.

For the first time, the Jedi spoke. "I would not slaughter a helpless enemy. My suggestion would be that you simply accept that your life has been restored to you, and continue living it. If we must fight, though, draw your weapon."

The pilot was very confused by this turn of events. He was not, however, an idiot - and he shook his head emphatically at the offer of combat. For some reason, this seemed to be the answer the Jedi was hoping for. Together they walked down the slope, away from the crashed fighter. They would have parted ways, then, never to meet again... but at the same moment, both the Jedi and the Imperial pilot came to the realization that there was in fact only one way to go. Hoth was a harsh, unforgiving environment. The only way to survive was to return to the marginal civilization of a camp. That meant both of them needed to walk in the same direction, and waste no time, if they intended to live at all.

"Well," the pilot said. "I suppose we travel together, then."

"I suppose we do," the Jedi replied.
Quaxo9

Re: Things Past (A Backstory Thread)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Hoth Five Years Ago

"Why did you want to join the Empire?" Siralai - the Jedi - asked one evening as they crouched by a campfire in a relatively sheltered ravine. She was becoming increasingly curious about that as the days passed and she and Trystan traveled - and fought to survive the cold and fearsome predators - together. The pilot seemed like a genuinely good and decent man. He was quick with kindness and rarely uttered so much as a negative word. His concern for others was as readily apparent as that of any Jedi. So how had he ended up in a position to be shot down over Hoth, fighting against the Republic for the Empire?

"I didn't," Trystan said bluntly. "Most don't. I was conscripted. I didn't have any choice. I was from a strongly Empire-supporting planet, raised in a loyalist family, and the law exempted no able-bodied person from military duty. A civilian career was not an option. The only thing left to me to decide was the nature of my service - and fortunately I had an aptitude for flying. Better than serving in the ground troops."

"That's horrible!" Siralai said, aghast. She had expected him to say for glory, or money, or even that he was duped. "They truly left you no choice?"

A slight, sad smile rose to Trystan's lips. "And why did you choose to become a Jedi?" He had her there, she had to admit. He already knew the answer, even if she had been tempted to lie.

"I didn't either," Siralai admitted. "I was sent to the Temple as a toddler. I was raised there. I never knew any other life."

How Trystan would have responded to this admission, Siralai never had the opportunity to find out. The Wampa that had been patiently stalking them through the snow now grabbed Siralai by the shoulder and dragged her away from the fire. Even as she struggled to free herself, her lightsaber ended up in her hand, the reflex of years of training. Trystan, too, instantly had his blaster in his hand - though his ability to use it was limited by the need to avoid hitting the Jedi in the process of fighting the Wampa. The battle was fierce. For Siralai, time seemed to stop.

Finally the Wampa lay still on the ground... but at a heavy price. Siralai was battered and depleted, unable to rise from the ground. Barely able to lift her head. Her brain felt fuzzy and she couldn't form words. Trystan knelt beside her, assessing her injuries... then abruptly turned and walked away. Siralai was surprised. But she reminded herself that she shouldn't be. All Trystan had ever learned - all the Empire had taught him all his life, since he was in the cradle - was survival and the success of the mission. He was only doing what instinct surely demanded. It was nothing personal. But that meant Siralai was not going to survive. She was too injured to get to shelter - and she could see a storm blowing in. With luck, Trystan could get ahead of it. If not, he risked being stuck for days, and that was dicey on this frozen planet even if he did find somewhere to hole up. She wished him well. No hard feelings - even as she drifted into the oblivion of unconsciousness.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Hoth Five Years Ago

When Siralai woke up, there was a thermal blanket tucked carefully around her. The light of a campfire played off the walls of a cave and warmed her face. She was sore, injured - but not as badly as she would have been with her wounds untended. The deep cut on her face had been patched so well that it might not even scar. And Trystan. He was there. He was there after all, sitting beside the fire with her.

"You... you left...?" Siralai said, her voice sounding soft and strange to her own ears.

"Sorry about that. Kind of necessary, though. I had to get a med kit. Not all of us can heal with just our hands, Jedi," he teased gently. "And I had to find a cave to take you to, before I just randomly started dragging you around unconscious in the snow."

"You came back."

"Yeah. Of course I did. I wasn't going to leave you behind. Not after you saved me back at the crash site. And not after we were friends. We... are friends, aren't we?"

"Yes. We're friends," Siralai confirmed without hesitation. "But you could have traveled faster alone."

Trystan shrugged. "Doesn't matter," he said. As if he wasn't risking his own life. They both knew he was. "If you stay here till I'm well enough to walk, you may not be able to beat the storm..."

"Erm. About that." Trystan grimaced. "Too late. You were out for awhile. The storm's been raging for hours. We may as well stay till it lets up."

"We may as well." Siralai would not forget that this man - this Imperial - had risked the storm and an icy death to keep a Jedi alive.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Hoth Five Years Ago

"There - over that ridge!" Siralai said, shading her eyes with one hand to make sure. The other hand went to Trystan's wrist to draw his attention to the ridge in question... but then, as if of its own accord, drifted down to entwine gloved fingers with his. It was the first such gesture that had been made, but Siralai got the feeling that it would not be an unwelcome one. She watched Trystan's face carefully to be sure, and he met her eyes questioningly... but made no move to free his hand. It was the first time Siralai had ever done such a thing, with anyone. Suddenly scared by her own boldness, she said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't. Nothing can come of this. It will all be over when we go back."

"When we go back..." Trystan repeated pensively.

"I'm not going back," Trystan announced that night by the campfire. It would be their last shared fire. Tomorrow, they would reach the outpost - and transport to their respective homes. Except that for Trystan, it wouldn't be home anymore.

"I'm tired of serving the Empire," he said, surprised by the firmness in his own voice. "I've been tired of it for a long time, but I didn't have an alternative. What you've said about the Republic - I know it's not perfect. I don't expect it will be. But it's better than what I came from. I'm not going back. I'm going to defect."

Siralai was flooded with surprise - and immense relief. He would be so much safer. He would surely be happier. And she wouldn't have to worry that they would someday be face to face again, but this time with him on the wrong end of a lightsaber blade.

"I've made my decision," Trystan went on. "It's mine, and I'm sure it's what I want. But I also wondered... this isn't completely platonic, is it? Once I'm in the Republic, I wondered if there was any chance that...?"

Siralai smiled at him. "Yes," she said. Then she closed her eyes and kissed him.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Tython Five Years Ago

The practicalities of defection were far easier than Trystan had expected. With a Jedi to vouch for his passage - and pay for it, which was probably at least as important to the captain of the transport - soon he was on his way to Tython, the home of the Jedi Order and site of their Temple. He hadn't expected that he would move straight into the Temple with Siralai. That everyone would accept her Imperial boyfriend and welcome him into their inner sanctum. But he hadn't realized quite how costly it could prove for her.

"There's... one thing you should know before we pursue this," Siralai said awkwardly. "If you don't already. How much do you know about the rules of the Order?"

"Virtually nothing. Robes, lightsabers, not too fond of the Empire - that's about it."

"Alright, well... we're not allowed to have relationships."

Trystan raised an eyebrow. "The Jedi are celibate?"

"Not exactly celibate per se. The release of um... physical needs... is not encouraged but not strongly condemned. What's forbidden is connections that might distract us or be used to lure us to the dark side. Relationships. Marriage. Children."

"I see," Trystan said thoughtfully. "So are you saying there's no way forward for us?"

"I'm not saying that. I'm saying it has to be a secret. Forever. That will be difficult. It will be painful. I wouldn't blame you for just cutting your losses and finding something easier."

"I don't want easy," Trystan said. "I want to be with you. We'll make it work."

Trystan found a home on Tython - not with the Jedi, but in a village of Twi'lek refugees that the Jedi had declared illegal settlers but had so far made no serious moves to evict. Siralai spent as much time with him as she could, as often as she could slip away. Their love deepened. It solidified from the blush of newness into something permanent. One night, illuminated by the glow of moonlight, she whispered, "I want you" - and her heart sang, because he wanted her too. Siralai was worried that she wouldn't know what she was supposed to do, virginal Jedi that she was. To her surprise, she discovered that Trystan was just as unsure as she. A cog in the Imperial military machine for his whole adult life, he had no experience with matters of the heart... or the bedroom. No matter. They would figure it out together.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Tython Five Years Ago

"Are you stupid?" the elderly healer, Mona, demanded of Siralai. "Or crazy? Or arrogant? Perhaps all of the above."

Siralai stared back in genuine confusion, unsure how the treatment she sought for a simple stomach virus had produced such a vehement response.

Mona sighed and rolled her eyes. "You aren't sick, Siralai. You're pregnant. That's what happens when people do... what you've obviously been doing."

Siralai's heart dropped. She knew where babies came from, of course she did... but it had all seemed so abstract and distant. Like something that happened to other people, not the result of the joyful hours in Trystan's cozy little room. No one had ever thought to warn either of them how necessary prevention was if you didn't intend to be parents.

Mona sighed again. "Well?" she demanded in a tone that suggested she had no time for this. "Who is the father, then? One of the boys here at the Temple?"

Siralai folded her hands in her lap and looked down as tears rose in her eyes.

"Now now, then," Mona said, softening considerably. "It's not so bad. You can tell me. I won't tell anyone. Medical confidentiality and all that. Maybe I can find a way to help. You weren't... you weren't forced, or anything like that?"

Siralai shook her head emphatically. It would have made a convenient story to explain her condition, but she couldn't do that to Trystan. "No, nothing like that. We're in love." And then she told the healer everything. Maybe Mona could truly help.

Mona's eyebrows practically receded into her hairline with her increasing incredulity. "I should have known," Mona said. "You haven't been the same since Hoth. I knew it was more than just the damnable cold. Well, don't worry. There are options."

Siralai looked up at her with tearful optimism. "There are?"

Mona smiled comfortingly. "Of course there are. Dear girl, you aren't the only Jedi who has ended up in this position. Not by a long shot. If you want to go through with the pregnancy, they'll find the child a nice home, and if it shows Force sensitivity when the time comes, perhaps someday it'll even end up at the Temple too - though I wouldn't count on it, with the father having none..."

"No!" Siralai said stubbornly, rubbing her eyes. "No, I'm keeping it."

Mona sighed, and explained as if to a small child. "That won't be allowed, Siralai. Jedi can't parent children. You'd be booted out of the Order - and for what? To struggle raising some Imperial's illegitimate child all by yourself..."

"I won't be by myself. Trystan..."

"Oh? Trystan? He told you he wants you to have his child?"

"Well. No. But he doesn't know I'm pregnant. When he finds out, he'll want to help. He'll want to raise the child together."

Mona looked sad, sympathetic. "Oh, you poor dear girl. You really believe that, don't you? That's sweet, but so naive. He won't want the child, Siralai. He doesn't love you. All he wants is a notch in his bedpost. Bragging rights among his Imperial buddies that he had a Jedi. And you fell for it. You walked right into it."

"Trystan isn't like that. Not him."

Mona clicked her tongue. "You fail to see it because you young Jedi know so little of the world. It would be painfully obvious to anyone else. Anyone who knew better. Foolish. Naive."

"Not Trystan," Siralai insisted. But she was shaken. Could Mona be right? Was Siralai just too dumb and naive to see what anyone else would have?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Tython Five Years Ago

All the way back to the village, Siralai fretted. How would Trystan react to her news? Would he want the child? Would he still want to be with her? What was she going to do if the answer was no?

When she arrived, though, it quickly became clear that there were more pressing problems. The Twi'leks were in disarray. A small Imperial extraction team had slipped in and out before the Jedi could react and respond to their brief presence. And these Imperials had taken Trystan with them. According to the Twi'leks, Trystan had gone willingly - but that had been their plan. They had needed to prepare for that eventuality - especially since Trystan had been trying to send messages to an old friend, Jasper, a man more like a brother to him. Trystan hoped Jasper would defect too. It was a risk. A huge one. Any signal could fall into the wrong hands and be used to trace him. But Trystan couldn't just leave his best friend behind. Siralai and Trystan had talked about what they would do if the Empire came for him, and they already had a strategy in place. He would go along with it, pretend to be willing - resistance would be met with overwhelming force and accomplish nothing. Instead, Trystan would try to fool them, claim to be grateful for "rescue" and slip back into his old life until he could escape or Siralai could come free him. It was the only way. Trystan was following the plan. Now Siralai would do her part. Get him back home - then tackle her fears about their future.

First things first. Locating him took more time than she had hoped. It took bribery and stealth to get access to the particular set of intercepted Imperial records that catalogued his fate. In the meantime, Siralai could only hope for the best and try to send energy his way to keep him strong, to help him keep up the charade. Finally, though, she located his pilot number in the massive trove of stolen Imperial data. He was on board a dreadnought... and he was in the brig. For a few weeks, Trystan had managed to fool everyone - but then a Sith had sensed the secrets in Trystan's head. Now Siralai's lover was a prisoner. Siralai was not naive about what that would mean. By now he would have been tortured, both physically and psychologically. Even as that thought made Siralai want to fall apart, she knew she mustn't. She couldn't. She had to get him back.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Imperial Dreadnought Five Years Ago

Getting onto the dreadnought by force was not an option. A full compliment of Jedi might have managed it - but Siralai didn't have that benefit. All she had was a handful of friends and the element of stealth. She also had some of Trystan's old security and landing codes, and the data cards and transmitters in his old Imperial flight suit. Hopefully some of it was still usable. Her plan was to fly in via their blindspot from below, identify her small ship as one of their fighters, and then slip into one of their bays. It was audacious. But it was the only way she could think of to get past the ship's defenses.

Searching the flight suit for what she needed, Siralai felt a hard, square object she couldn't identify. A small box of some sort. She opened it... and gasped, and almost dropped it. It was an engagement ring. So she had been right about Trystan's intentions all along, and Mona had been wrong. Trystan... he wanted to marry her. Well then. She just needed to get him back so he could do so.

Siralai barely dared to breathe as she exchanged codes with the dreadnought's control room. There was a pause - a light reprimand for using an outdated code - and then she was assigned a bay for docking. Siralai breathed a sigh of relief.

The brig was not hard to find. Siralai assumed it would be as deep in the bowels of the ship as possible to prevent escape, and she wasn't wrong. As much as possible, Siralai tried to sneak instead of fighting - though knocking out a pair of guards was necessary to take their key cards and access the prison cells. Only two cells were occupied.

"Trystan!" Siralai called. "I'm here. I'm getting you out of here."

"Wow, Trys." The voice was from the opposite cell. Shaky. Pained. "You were right after all. She did come. Sorry I doubted you."

Siralai pressed the key card to the cell lock, and the door hissed open. Trystan lay on the floor, battered and bruised and burned - but alive. Siralai touched him gently, trying not to inflict more pain. "I'm here," she said again, softly.

Trystan reached for her with crooked, broken fingers. "I can't... can't leave Jasper. He never even got my messages. They tortured him too, just for being my friend. I can't leave him here to die."

"Trys, don't be stupid, mate," Jasper said, trying to keep his tone light - but there was an edge of fear in his voice. "Don't turn down your rescue on account of me. That's crazy talk. I won't die any easier knowing I took you with me."

"Siralai, please..." Trystan gasped. Siralai nodded, stood, and used the key card on the other cell lock. "Jasper?" She confirmed. The other pilot nodded. "Alright. This is your rescue too. You can both lean on me if you can't walk. Let's go."

Jasper stared openly at her. A Jedi? Risking her life to save two tortured enemy pilots? Jasper didn't understand... but he had enough self-preservation instinct not to question his good fortune any further. He scrambled to his feet. A figure in a dark robe suddenly blocked their path. Sith. Siralai's breath hissed in her throat.

"Well, well!" The Sith said. "A Jedi. How... unexpected. I suppose interrogating this scum was worthwhile after all."

Siralai gently set the two pilots down, then drew her lightsaber. It was her first time fighting a full-fledged Sith, and the battle was the hardest of her life. Intense. Raw. Violent. Not a step out of place, or she would be lost. Finally, she had the upper hand.

"If you kill me, the rage will flow through you. Your anger will overwhelm you. You will fall to the dark side..."

Siralai shook her head. "There is no rage in me. My mind is calm. My purpose is true. You must die so you can't hurt anyone else the way you hurt them." Her lightsaber blade sliced through Sith flesh and bone. Then it was over.

Jasper looked awed. Trystan looked proud. Siralai was a little surprised at what she had managed to do. "

Let's get out of here!" she said.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Siralai's Ship Five Years Ago

Jasper assumed he was the Jedi's prisoner. He was, after all, an enemy combatant. He could accept that. Captivity here would surely involve less pain. At least he was away from the soldiers with their fists and rifle butts, the needles injecting drugs that bewildered his senses, the electrodes in the most sensitive areas of the body - and worst of all, that damnable Sith cracking open his mind over and over, both to casually peruse the contents and to terrorize him. A Jedi would surely be at least somewhat more humane as a captor. Even if ultimately he was to be executed, that would have been the case on the dreadnought too; at least his last hours or days would be more peaceful.

He was surprised, then, that he was left entirely free on the Jedi's ship. No shackles - and when he was shown a berth where he could rest, he was not locked in. That left him a choice. He could have betrayed the Jedi, attempted to seize the ship, and had he succeeded, returned to his old masters with the fruits of this success to erase his shame. He could have... but he wouldn't. And he didn't. That would have resulted in Trystan's death, for one thing, and Trystan was like a beloved brother to him. But that wasn't the only reason. Jasper had served the Empire faithfully. Although he had been a conscript with no desire to fight in their endless conflicts, he had always done his duty. And how had he been repaid? With torture, brutality, and the promise of death - the punishment for a crime committed not by him, but by another. No, he was finished with it. He owed his old masters no more loyalty. His lot was with Trystan and the Jedi now... wherever that led.

The Jedi had offered both men healing and medical care, then she had sat by Trystan's side until he fell asleep, speaking softly to him, touching him lightly to avoid causing pain. When Trystan was finally out, the Jedi approached Jasper. Jasper braced himself. Of course he expected that he was to be interrogated. It was the only logical use for a captured enemy pilot. Squeeze him for all he knew, to make him pay for being allowed to continue breathing. Of course he would be roughed up - that was just how it went, and unlike her lover he would have no claim on her mercy - but she might go easy on him if he cooperated. He was already so badly hurt...

The Jedi sat beside him. "I owe you an apology," she said.

Jasper was thrown off balance by this unexpected conversational turn. "You saved my life," he replied, befuddled.

"Yes," the Jedi agreed neutrally. "But I'm afraid that before that, I mistakenly led you to believe that I might not. I never intended to leave you behind. I was terrified for Trystan, and he was the main thing occupying my thoughts. I was not acting fully rationally because of my fears. I should have reassured you immediately. I am deeply sorry that for even a moment, I left you to fear for your fate at my hands. I would not have abandoned you there."

Jasper just stared at her. With everything that had happened to him since Trystan's treason to the Empire had been discovered - she was truly concerned about the few seconds that had elapsed with him still afraid? She really thought something so minor merited an apology? "It's okay," he said. "Really. I'm fine." There was an awkward silence. "Thank you for helping me," Jasper added belatedly but sincerely.

The Jedi - no, her name was Siralai, he needed to start thinking of her by her name - smiled and nodded.

"You really love him, don't you?" Jasper said. "Sorry if it's not my place, but he's my best friend. I think you really do?"

"I really do," Siralai agreed.

And Jasper realized that he had made another friend.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty

Siralai's Ship Five Years Ago

When Trystan awoke, Siralai was beside him. His sleep had been dreamless, and he thought he owed that to her, whether through the anesthetic medication or the Force - and he was grateful to her that he hadn't yet relived the memories in his sleep.

"I love you," Trystan said. "I love you so much. But there's something you need to know. I... I told them everything." Trystan looked away in abject shame.

"Yes," Siralai said. "I know you did. It's alright."

"You know...?"

"Well, I suppose I should say I assumed. We have to be realistic, Trys. We both know the Empire has expert interrogators. Diabolical - but expert. The torture, the pain, the chemicals... and then throw in a Sith messing around in your head? You didn't have a chance, Trystan. I knew you didn't."

"You still came for me. Even though you knew I betrayed you...?"

"No," Siralai said firmly. "I will hear none of that. You did not betray me. You did what you had to."

"I told them everything. Everything."

"What you told them doesn't matter. You stayed alive for me. That was all I needed you to do. My fear was finding you dead - not that you would talk. Everyone talks. I understand. Please don't beat yourself up over it. You don't deserve any shame." She kissed an unbruised spot on his forehead, then reached into the pocket of her robe and handed him the ring box. "I didn't mean to pry, but I found something of yours in your flight suit..."

Trystan smiled weakly. "You actually found something of yours, then. Will I embarrass myself if I give it to you?"

"Not at all," Siralai assured him. "Not to ruin the suspense, but if you go through with this, you'll get a wife. But... while we're sharing secrets, I have one of my own that you need to hear before you decide if you still want to marry me." Siralai took a deep breath. This wasn't an easy thing to say. She had no idea how he would react. He might be angry. But he had to know what he was committing to. "I'm pregnant, Trystan. I just found out. I'm keeping it. This isn't something we talked about, and I'm not sure how you're going to feel about it. I don't expect you to feel obligated if a baby isn't something you want..."

"I do," Trystan said without hesitation. "I do want it. It's a surprise, but not in a bad way. I want to be with you. I want to get married. I want to raise our child together. I want all of this. I'll do my best to be a good father. My own father wasn't great, you know that, but... but I'm going to be there for our child, like mine wasn't for me. I'm going to do the right thing. I have one question, though. How exactly are we going to hide this from the Jedi?"

Another deep breath. "We aren't," Siralai said. "I'm going to tell them the truth, and accept the fallout. This secret would tear us apart, Trystan. I didn't see that before, but I do now. It was because of the secret that you were taken. Because you were hiding, you weren't safe. From now on, no more secrets. We do this in the light."

Trystan was relieved, but felt he had to ask, "Are you sure? You'll be giving up a lot."

"I'm sure," she said. "I'm ready."