A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Quaxo9

Re: A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

Siralai nodded. "It's difficult for her. This has been... a lot, I know. For both of you. I hope she will adjust, and accept help. I know it'll take time. Try not to worry about that. We'll be patient with her." She smiled reassuringly at him. "And there's no need to thank me - though it's kind of you to do so. I promised to protect you and Reyth. It was my choice. She owes me nothing. It was my honor to do, and I will continue to protect her - and you."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Teizi Lin

Her stride ate up the jungle, taking her into veritable solitude in mere minutes. A waterfall thundered into a ravine, blocking her path, but afforded her a place of rest. She sank to her knees, willing her heart to slow and her mind to calm. Only then could she step back and view herself. What was it about her past that brought about this response in her? Why was she so...embarrassed? Surely she was not the only Jedi to come from humble beginnings. She knew that she wasn't. Perhaps what she feared was that her origins only added to pile of reasons she had to consider herself undeserving. It was bad enough that her Masters and probably the Grand Master herself knew that she was nothing but an illiterate nerf herder, but Dallyn? How could she keep his respect if he knew what she was?

Fear. Pride. Further proof that she was not cut out for the work of a Jedi. Still, she could feel the Force moving through her, entwined around every living creature. She couldn't deny the connection she felt to the Force, nor the sense of peace she received from the Code. As soon as she had heard it, she'd grasped onto it. She'd spent years learning to understand how the Code guided the Jedi in the Force. After all this time, she thought she'd understood. Perhaps...perhaps her upbringing was just a little too simple after all. If she'd grown up in the Academy, maybe she would have had a better chance of being the kind of Jedi people could look up to. The kind of Jedi that changed the galaxy for the better. Unfortunately for the galaxy, they were stuck with Teizi the orphan girl.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Arksynn and Reyth

"I still don't know why. Neither of us deserve it. Any of your promises."

The young Zabrak wouldn't look at Siralai directly. He stopped briefly with a biscuit halfway to his mouth. "But just because I don't understand doesn't mean I don't believe you."

The biscuit obscured any further words - a cunning ploy on his part, he thought. There wasn't much else he could say, of course. He didn't really know where this path was going to lead and he obviously didn't understand Reyth's brain. Only time would tell. As though summoned, the ghost herself reappeared in front of him. She looked him in the eye, then Siralai, then squeezed between the two of them and picked up the change of clothes that had been offered. Her own robes hit the floor. Crawling into the fresh linens she gazed around at the room as though casing the place. She spotted the datapad that had been left behind for her the day before, plucked it from the floor and walked herself right back out the medbay door.

Arksynn hadn't paused in his feeding frenzy, but managed to speak around his mouthful. "Hey, there a shower on this ship? That'd be nice."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

Siralai was a bit taken aback when Reyth abruptly disrobed, and had to make some small adjustments to what her mental picture of what Anewe had been like. She hadn't expected the apprentices to have picked up habits that were so casual and relaxed. She must have misjudged a bit. Siralai couldn't help wondering if the lack of boundaries was a good sign, or something she should be even more worried about. Regardless, she didn't comment. It was hard to know where to draw lines with teens from this particular background.

Laundry was definitely not the hill Siralai wanted to die on. But at the same time, she needed to start setting some basic expectations - the two of them couldn't carry on being feral if they were to grow into productive adults. She decided that for today, she would hit a middle ground.

"The shower is down the hall to the right," Siralai told Arksynn. Raising her voice very slightly so Reyth would catch the words on her way out, she added. "I'm happy to help with your laundry for today. Anything you want washed, put it in the hamper."

Subtly implied was that anything not in the hamper would stay where it was. Doing their own laundry could be a project for another day. Baby steps.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Neva Xolte

Breakfast with the ever-expanding crew was a pleasant distraction, with a few additional reminders of the last however many hours tossed in. Pyrran and Vette's absence was conspicous and the explanation for that case explained the twins' long faces. Neva couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt knowing that she'd kept Pyrran from using his own kolto tank. He should be here having breakfast with his sisters, not her. There were new faces too. Visper and Felix had picked up two of Evanni's friends who'd been in a bad situation - she gathered it had something to do with a Hutt at the fight ring.

Right, the ring. Her opponent before the kid. Neva had planned on tracking him down after the fight to ease her mind regarding her suspicions. Sure, it had been in the heat of the moment that she'd jumped to her conclusion, but still she felt that her idea had merit. As everyone started going their separate ways, she confided her plan to Lana...and got the low-down on what had happened to Siralai. Sometimes it didn't pay to be right. Yet one more thing she should have been in time for had she not been stuck in a tank.

Lana somehow disappeared before Neva could tag along in an attempt to help with...whatever the Sith was going to do. She admitted to herself that it was probably for the best - she was supposed to be 'taking it easy' and snooping around the holonet for clues wasn't really the zabrak's forte. It left her casting about for something to keep her attention off of her own thoughts. Maybe some swimming? Even she had to admit to herself that she didn't have the energy for that.

She was kicked out of the kitchen before she could establish herself at the sink, much to her annoyance. She wasn't an invalid. Just...tired.

Wandering outside, Neva looked up and down the beach. Lying around in the sun - or the shade - just didn't suit her. She'd done a lot of lying around lately. It hadn't been a pleasurable thing. She needed something to do. Maybe she'd take one of the speeder bikes for a run down the beach. That would work. Seeing Jasper and Theron walking the sand, she waved and made various hand signals to communicate to Jasper what she wanted. He nodded and the zabrak soon found herself zipping along the water's edge. The wind on her face felt so good. It had been so stuffy...no. Not now.

Attempting to outrun her thoughts, Neva pushed the throttle down and swerved into the forest. Maybe having to pay attention to driving would give her the peace she was looking for.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Arksynn and Reyth

Siralai's offer of help with their laundry brought about a confused stare from the boy. "Um...I said I'd take a shower...but if you really want to..." No, he decided that it would be far too weird to let a Jedi - well, even a former Jedi - wash his and Reyth's clothes in her own shower. He was sure the comment had to do with Reyth leaving her stuff on the floor and attempted to rescue the situation.

"Ah, actually it's my turn, that's all. We do our own laundry."

He abruptly put down his plate, picked up Reyth's robes and grabbed the spare clean ones before darting out the door.

If Reyth had heard Siralai, she gave no indication as she was already scrolling through the contents of the datapad. Lots of music, some she recognized, lots she didn't. She found that both of those categories excited her. Of course, it was probably still just a ploy to win her affections or some fool thing, but the joke was on them if she got to enjoy the collection without falling for their tricks. Her feet touched the sand and looked up, startled. The ship was a distance behind her now and she was out in the open. She suddenly felt vulnerable. Clutching the datapad to her chest, she looked around for a place out of the way that would afford her a view of the ship's exit and some privacy to listen to whatever she wanted without interruption. The best she could come up with was a copse of wide-trunked palms. There was a small clearing in the middle of them and in there Reyth made a nest out of dried branches and the folds of her robe. She pressed play and forgot all about being able to watch for Arksynn from her den.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

The two young Sith really were lacking in life skills, Siralai realized. Not only could they not do laundry - they didn't understand the basics of how laundry was to be done. They would need to work on that. That was a project to tackle another day, though. No one was going to die from wearing clothes washed in the shower just this once.

She noticed where Reyth was, but didn't disturb her. For once, Reyth seemed relaxed and calm. Siralai wouldn't interrupt that without cause. Maybe later, the young Sith would want to go down to the beach with the other kids.

With Reyth and Arksynn both settled for the time being, Siralai took the opportunity to visit Pyrran and Vette. Trystan was already there when she arrived, and Pyrran was just emerging from the Kolto. Pyrran was much improved physically, and he was obviously delighted to see Vette. When his gaze met Trystan's, though, he seemed a little chagrined.

"I'm sorry if I made things awkward between us," he told Trystan softly. "You can just forget about what I said, if... if..."

Trystan shook his head. "Not at all. We would be honored to call you our son." Pyrran beamed.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Neva Xolte and Teizi Lin

"Would you stop apologizing? We've established that it wasn't your fault."

The way the zabrak was stomping through the bush suggested to Teizi that she might be trying to spare the Jedi's feelings. She had the broken speeder bike in tow via the Force and a nearly as damaged Neva on her arm. The smaller woman tried to push herself away to walk on her own, but Teizi had a grip on her shirt and she eventually gave in and leaned heavily on her. Stubborn, but not impermeable to good sense. Teizi nearly smiled before she remembered that this whole situation was all her fault.

"Thanks for carrying the bike. I am going to owe Jasper big time for this. I'm hoping I can fix it...but I am better with ships." Neva was rambling a bit, but she needed to keep her mind occupied so her brain didn't figure out that her legs didn't want to take any more steps. Of course, she did have something else she wanted to bring up with other woman - it wasn't like the Jedi was going to run off and leave her there, so she took a chance. "So, why is it that you seem real scared of your padawan knowing you existed before you joined the Order?"

It was the same question she'd been pondering for the last hour or so before she'd 'bumped into' Neva. Of course, she'd also known the answer, but she didn't want to accept it. Perhaps...perhaps this was the Force's way of getting her to acknowledge her shortcomings and move forward.

"I suppose it is because I don't know that the person I was before the Order is worth knowing." Her voice was little more than a murmur, catching every third or fourth word as though the words were tripping over her tongue on the way out. Seeming to realize that, Teizi straightened slightly and spoke a little louder, "I mean, I wasn't much of anybody."

The words hit her right in the gut. So much so that she actually had to stop to catch her breath. The Jedi came to a halt as well, hovering over her like a mothering bantha. Neva pushed herself upright and found herself yelling into Teizi's face. "How dare you. How dare you cheat your past self like that. Just because...what? You didn't know you were Force sensitive? Is that what happens when you start using the Force - everything you loved, everything you were, just...falls away? Gets erased? Is that what the Force does?"

Neva hadn't intended to react like that. She hadn't meant to go off on Teizi. It was just that the words she spoke seemed to echo those of Trura's. That the past was meaningless now that she could use the Force. It wasn't that she was worried that the girl currently holding onto her was going to turn against her or anything, but it made Neva worry about her own future that little bit more. If she was Force sensitive like Anewe - and, actually Siralai - had said...did that mean she was going to end up feeling the same way about her life up until now? Was she going to change and become a totally different person? Would she come to deny everything she'd ever loved and worked so hard for?

As grateful as she was to not getting yelled at, the following silence worried Teizi more than the accusations. The zabrak's blank stare, how her grip tightened on the Jedi's arm, the spontaneous deep gasp that lifted her whole body. As quickly as Neva had exploded, her emotions had pulled inward. It reminded her of the sudden stillness that would take over the form in the Kolto tank between feverish bouts of movement.

"Captain, what happened."

She spoke gently, but Neva still jumped as though she'd forgotten about her being there. The zabrak blinked at her but didn't seem to follow the line of questioning. Teizi tried again, "What happened with Lord Anewe? She damaged more than your body. You fight her even now."

The moment seemed to last a lifetime before Neva finally nodded and gestured toward a fallen log. The two sat, broken speeder momentarily forgotten. The present hurts less important now that the root was exposed.

"She was my cousin. I hadn't seen her in years - she was just a kid when our families got split up. I'd been looking for them, you know? Trying to find the rest of them after what happened...but then she finds me first. And she's not Trura anymore - she's 'Lord Anewe'. She was obsessed with being a new person. Like being Sith was so much better than an explorer. And maybe it is - I shouldn't judge. But it hurt. Far more than the electrocution and all of that crap. It hurt that everything that was good in our lives - everything I loved and wanted back so badly - that she thought it was nothing but garbage. And now, I don't wanna know where the rest of them are. I'm scared that they might have all turned into psychotic despots - I'm scared that I will. I just...I just never expected...and I don't know what to do."

Perhaps that was the thing that scared her the most. She really didn't know what her next step should be. Rubbing the tears out of her eyes, she shoved herself back onto her feet. Teizi was there to support her, naturally, but she couldn't help but notice how quiet the Jedi had gotten. Maybe she wasn't expecting the truth. Oh well, the current truth was that Neva felt better having exposed some of the fears that'd been lurking in her brain since the whole ordeal started. The pair began moving back toward the beach house again, the silence hanging between them like a banner.

"You know. I liked the Teizi Lin I knew. She was a sweet, curious kid. You remind me of her." The Jedi shot Neva a narrow look, unsure of what Neva was entirely driving at. The zabrak continued on, feigning oblivion."No, really! She was kinda quiet - just like you - but her smile could just light up the place, you know? Good with critters - a head for numbers - just an all-around good kid. I think Dallyn would have liked her."

Teizi remained silent, but the tension seemed to come out of her shoulders just a bit. Neva considered that as much of a win as she was going to get out of the woman. The two arrived on the beach without ceremony. The speeder bike was deposited near the others and Teizi left Neva in the shade while she went in to get a scanner and some Kolto. The zabrak might have been a bit more banged up than when she'd left, but she certainly looked to be in much better spirits. At the very least, the shade that had seemed to chase her out of the ship earlier was nowhere to be seen - she'd left it lying on a tree in the jungle.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Trystan Mahr

When Teizi and Neva arrived back at the beach - with Neva looking even worse for the wear than when she left - Trystan turned to Jasper with a flash of irritation in his eyes. "Seriously, Jas? You thought it was a good idea to send her off on a speeder bike? You didn't think she was quite beaten up enough already?"

"She's an adult," Jasper said - sounding less than convinced of his own words. "She can make her own choices."

"You didn't have to help!" Trystan retorted. "Where the hell was your judgment?"

Jasper wanted to snap back... but he couldn't. He knew Trystan was right, and he was ashamed. His shoulders slumped as he went to collect the damaged bike. What had he been thinking? Had he been so distracted by infatuation that he wasn't thinking straight? He'd have to be more careful in the future. At least he didn't have to worry about anybody causing havoc on this particular bike anytime soon, he thought ruefully as he examined its condition.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Neva Xolte

Naturally, she was inclined to agree with Jasper on this one. It was hard not to overhear his and Trystan's 'discussion'. It had been her decision - asking Jasper for permission to take a bike had really been more of a courtesy. If he'd turned her down, she was pretty sure she would have just borrowed one anyway. She doubted she'd be able to convince Trystan of this, though, especially in her current state - so when Jasper headed off to inspect his broken speeder, she took the opportunity to try to smooth things over with him instead.

"Hey, I'm real sorry about the bike." Neva did her best to appear to lean casually on a nearby palm. Truthfully, she needed the support. Still, she knew that just an apology wasn't going to cut it because the bike was only half of the problem. She let out a huff of air and hurried on to explain before her guardian Jedi showed up and started working her over. "To be honest, I really, really needed that ride. I probably would have just taken the bike anyway if you'd said no - ha - but really...I kinda also needed the crash too. Too bad the speeder was collateral damage for my peace of mind. I'll help fix it, of course. Just...not at this very minute." She grinned at the man and clapped him on the shoulder before turning to walk a little closer to the house.

Teizi was already back outside and seemed to be waiting for her to come in. Something caught the zabrak's eye, though. A lonely hammock tied up between a couple of trees near the house, but also out in the fresh air. Neva made a beeline for it and managed to get into it by the time the Jedi caught up with her.

"I just want to be outside." As if she needed to explain herself. Still, it couldn't hurt. She knew she wasn't the easiest patient and surely Teizi was tiring of her running off. The kolto scan started and a soft moan escaped her lips as the machine went to work on her injuries. The hammock's sway...the soothed muscles...the fresh salt air...and probably also the several kilometre walk, all made for a perfect nap cocktail.

As Teizi stepped away from the zabrak's sleeping form, she gave the hammock an extra little tug to keep it swaying and hoped that this time the captain would find a peaceful slumber.