A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Quaxo9

Re: A Pleasant Day at the Beach

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Arksynn and Teizi Lin

The disconnect was jolting, but the relief of having control over his mind and body was worth any and every temporary discomfort. It was so embarrassing. To be completely at another's mercy and able to do nothing to protect himself. He curled up halfway into a ball, catching his breath and willing his body to respond to his commands once more before he shakily rose to his feet. Siralai was silhouetted by her lightsaber's glow and he found himself wondering how being considered someone's 'people' could feel so different from belonging to the one who was shouting 'mine'. It struck him then how truly strange and amazing it was that the woman had shown him mercy - taken time to instruct him - build into him - protect him - all in the space of a day he'd received more care and consideration than he'd ever had from any other adult in his life.

Teizi had been reaching out with the Force as well in an attempt to find the slippery Sith. As a result, she had a front row seat to both Anewe's attack and Siralai's incredible counter. All she could do until they located Anewe was hold her lightsabers high to illuminate as wide of a swath as possible and prevent the Sith from leaping over the party.

The young Zabrak strugged to his feet and made to continue moving forward. A brave move, though perhaps not the wisest. She came alongside him, her previous assertions laid aside, and spoke in a low voice.

"If you are well, I suggest you place yourself with Siralai between you and your former Master. We are nearing the endgame. Remain steadfast."

Of course, she hadn't quite anticipated the level of endgame with which they would be presented. At least Darth Baras had the decency to take them on in battle. This twisted Sith was not fighting a reasonable fight. Perhaps that had been too much to expect.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

"Why are you doing this?" Siralai implored the Sith captor. "What do you stand to gain? Why have you turned to the Darkness? The path of the Light was open to you! Why have you decided to follow this course of evil..."

In truth, Siralai didn't care why Anewe had turned to the Darkness. This Sith had made choices that put her beyond redemption - too dangerous to live, impossible to save. Siralai could deliver a standard Jedi speech with the best of them. But this particular Jedi speech was only intended to serve as a distraction. Focus the attention on Siralai, her questions, her pronouncements... misdirection. Because Siralai wasn't the one who should have been watched.

While she spoke, Pyrran was working up a good rage. Abruptly, he made a motion with his off-hand, aiming a Force Choke at Anewe, pulling backward and sustaining. His aim was less to damage Anewe per se than just to separate her from Neva in a way that wouldn't allow her to use her blade.

Pride swelled in Siralai's heart. She'd deliberately given Pyrran an opening, and he had seen it and taken it. She only hoped they would be able to protect their friend.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Lord Anewe

Curse the Jedi and their ridiculous mantra. Curse them and their continual interference in Sith progress. Curse their stupid platitudes about the Light. So focused on the Light side of the Force and the Jedi spouting liturgies was she that she didn't see Pyrran's attack coming. A powerful choke hold, to be certain, but it only caught her off guard for a moment. Fools. They must not have taken her seriously. If she was going down - she was taking her selfish, pitiful cousin down with her.

She dropped the leading edge of her lightsaber ... onto an empty table. Despite her being choked in mid-air, Anewe managed to turn her head to look down at the formerly occupied table in shock, her weapon hand sweeping wide as though she expected Neva to be standing somewhere beside her.

Behind Siralai and to her right, Teizi's hand was still outstretched. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to push a severely injured individual off a table, but it had been pure reflex. Neva was somewhere on the floor between the table and Anewe, which the Sith lord would surely soon realize if Pyrran lost his hold on her.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Visper Averrod

As the day wore on, Tacia's condition took an abrupt turn for the worse as her beleaguered body began to falter despite the care she had received. Years of deprivation, illness, mistreatment, and the ravages of spice were catching up with her. Her breathing became shallow, her pulse rate dropped, and she slipped into unconsciousness. This wasn't the first time Shandri and Evanni had seen such a decline, and they knew what it meant. They hugged each other. Evanni cried. Shandri tried not to. She whispered to her younger friend, "At least it ended like this. Not as a slave. At least she got to be comfortable at the end. At least she isn't in pain anymore. At least..."

For Visper, though, that wasn't enough. A more comfortable end to a short, painful life wasn't sufficient. Instead of accepting the inevitable, she sprang into action. With Force healing, she coaxed life to remain in Tacia's fragile body. Medicine, advanced life support, transfer to a Kolto tank...

"This isn't working," Visper muttered furiously to herself. "What am I missing?"

Shandri and Evanni watched, surprised by the effort the Jedi was expending. They were stunned as Visper made holocalls to Tython, and then to several different medical professionals for emergency consultations. There was no improvement in Tacia's condition... but at least she was hanging on.

Felix poked his head in the room. "I found some Bacta..." he said.

"Good," Visper replied. "Good. That might help."

It was good that Tacia was unconscious already when she was moved from the Kolto tank to the Bacta. Being immersed in Bacta wasn't the most pleasant process. But Visper hoped it would be enough to save her life. Visper continued pouring Force healing into Tacia until she was spent, and fell asleep on the floor. Felix gently scooped her up and moved her to a bed to sleep it off.

Tacia's brush with death had scared Shandri and Evanni terribly - but it had also started to cement them as a family. If Visper and Felix would go that far to save Tacia, they were proving worthy of trust. It was something the girls would never forget.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

Siralai didn't plan to let Anewe have another shot at Neva - or at Arksynn, or Reyth, or any of the other people she had surely terrorized over the years just as she had the random bystanders at the arena on Rishi. By nature, Siralai was not a killer. Ever since she was an apprentice, it had been noted that she was reluctant to take a life. That in combat, she often hesitated, debating and weighing until it was too late and her hand was forced.

Right now, though, there was nothing to weigh. Siralai was trained as a Jedi. She had the strength and the reflexes. And Anewe posed a clear and present danger to everyone around her if she wasn't stopped. For good.

Siralai didn't falter. She struck with her lightsaber - careful not to step on Neva's prone form on the floor - aiming for central body mass. She needed to end this. Preferably on the first try. She put all her effort and will behind her blade, and trusted in herself and the Force.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9

A lucky shot. A damn lucky shot. That it was through one of her hearts didn't matter so much - it was that the blade went true to centre. Anewe had the time to appreciate the loss of feeling in her legs before she bled out on her own chamber floor. She hissed some final words at the Jedi, the traitor Sith, her puny apprentice, the slave girl...

If there were any justice in the galaxy, may it be that room had claimed its last victim. Teizi kept her left hand high, bathing her surroundings in blue light. She wasn't about to shed a tear for the Sith, though she wondered how her former apprentice would do now that her final rest was upon her. It was only a moment or two before she called out, "Is Neva alright?", even as she began searching the room for something that could be used to carry the injured Zabrak. Her light touched something red and fabric - one of the huge tapestries that hung all over the place. Perfect.

Grasping an edge, she tore the fabric from its holder, gathered it up, then crossed over to the table Neva had inhabited moments ago. Ignoring the stains on the surface, the sheathed her blade and began alternately unravelling the cloth and plying into it a series of folds.

Arksynn didn't move forward until he felt Anewe's life completely slip away. He didn't trust his master or her abilities even at death's door - and part of him considered that she may still exert power over him from beyond the grave. Lightsaber still lit, he crept around the edge of the table to look at Anewe, as though he needed visual confirmation of something he knew to be true. Her face was twisted in something between a grin and a snarl - it seemed fitting. He allowed his blade to go out, and leaned heavily on the wall, unable to take his eyes away from the corpse.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

"Thank you," Siralai told Teizi sincerely as the Jedi worked to stabilize Neva so they could get her out of this den of horrors. While she did so, Siralai stayed close and used the Force to provide healing to Neva. It wouldn't be enough to fix her wounds - that would take time, and probably a generous amount of Kolto. All Siralai could do was try to ensure that Neva didn't die in the meantime, until they could get her proper medical attention.

Even as she healed Neva, though, Siralai couldn't help noticing Arksynn's reaction, and her brow creased with worry. Had he been injured by his master's attack? And for that matter, Siralai didn't know how Arksynn felt about the relationship between teacher and pupil. To Siralai's own view, Anewe had been cruel and monstrous, but that didn't mean no bond had been formed from Arksynn's perspective.

"Are you alright, Arksynn?" Siralai asked, meeting his eyes without interrupting the flow of healing Force energy to Neva - who was clearly not alright. "You faced her very bravely. Are you injured? And I... I'm sorry if this is difficult for you. Losing your master this way. It had to be done, and I cannot apologize for the choice I made. I do apologize to you if my actions have caused you pain, though."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Arksynn

He didn't feel brave. He felt...weak. Empty. But, it was a good kind of empty, he realized. Anewe had been his entire world for years. She had even wormed her way into everything he and Reyth had shared. Slowly, slowly making him nothing. Nothing but her plaything to toss aside. Too weak to stand on his own without her. But he had proven her wrong, hadn't he? Or did he just exchange one master for another in this ex-Jedi? It didn't feel that way...it felt like he had made the decision to form an alliance with her. He could have fought her for Reyth and died in that burned out arena by her hand or the Sith agent's. He could have stayed behind and stolen Reyth away when she woke up. He could have sounded an alarm upon their arrival, doubtless earning the notice of Darth Baras. He could have gone for backup when the rest of the party was focused on the Sith lord.

The choices he made...had been his own. For better or for worse, his own. And now that Anewe was gone - he could keep making his own choices.

Tears rolled down his face and he realized he was practically giggling. He shook his head and gulped down air to steady his voice. "No, you never caused me pain. I...I just never thought I'd ever be free. We'd ever be free. Reyth..." he hugged his knees to his chest and closed his eyes tightly as though she were there with him now.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Monkey Kitty
Siralai Mahr

"Yes, you're free," Siralai agreed, smiling gently - pleased that for once, Arksynn seemed truly happy and at peace. "And Reyth too." She gave Arksynn a moment while they were getting Neva ready to move. Once Neva was secured, Siralai told him, "Time to get out of here. Once we get back to the ship, I would appreciate it if you would speak to Reyth and let her know you're alright. I'm sure she's very worried. You can use my holocom."

Now, they had a dilemma. Neva needed medical attention as quickly as possible - and they all needed to be far from here. Their time on Dromund Kaas hadn't exactly been low-profile so far, and it was only a matter of time before someone noticed and tried to intervene. But their mission wasn't quite done...

"We still need to find Cheketta," Pyrran said, as he tried to reconnect a computer terminal to search for information. He sighed with frustration, realizing the wiring was completely fried.

"I'm right here!" An unknown voice had called out of the darkness beyond the glow of their lightsabers. "Why are you looking for me?"

Siralai was so shocked she almost dropped her weapon. The Force truly was with them today. Was the rescue of the Grand Marshal to serve some greater purpose - or was compassion simply the correct and natural order of things, and the Force trying to right itself after the darkness Anewe had created? Either way, this was a favorable stroke for the rescuers.

Pyrran was already making his way across the room, using his lightsaber like a torch. He found a set of cells, held closed by a physical barrier, now that the power had failed and the forcefields were down. The lightsaber made short work of the cell partitions, and Pyrran and Cheketta were face to face.

"You...?" Cheketta said softly. "I never thought I'd see you again. I'm glad you're still alive. No offense - I wasn't sure you would be, a decent person like you living among the Sith. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to rescue you," Pyrran said simply.

"Rescue me? Why would you...? You've done so much for me already..."

Pyrran wasn't quite sure how to answer that, so he didn't. Instead he said, "We need to get out of here. Quickly. You can lean on me..."

Cheketta was able to walk, leaning on Pyrran - but barely. They wouldn't be able to move quickly. Cheketta had clearly endured months of mistreatment, his once powerfully built body wearing away from lack of nutrition and sunlight, and bearing the marks of torture and prolonged violence. He seemed in surprisingly good spirits, though - especially having seen Pyrran.

"I'll call Trystan and let him know where we are," Siralai told the others. "He'll get the ship as close as possible. From there... we just hope for the best."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Quaxo9
Teizi Lin

It wasn't until Neva was on the table and she had her almost totally tied into her fabric carrier that Teizi realized who exactly they had just saved. As Siralai's lightsaber illuminated the work surface, aiding her with her knots, the light fell across the Zabrak's face. She paused in her work, surprised. She should have pieced it together earlier. Unfortunately, now wasn't the best time to reminisce - nor was the captain in any condition for a reunion. Teizi resumed her work, but as she neared Neva's shoulders, she whispered "Hey there, Captain. Don't worry - we'll have you out of here in no time."

As if to prove it, Teizi grasped the two ends of the tapestry, turned her back to the table, and hoisted Neva's head up toward her shoulder as she secured the ends of her makeshift knapsack. Stepping away, she was pleased to find her load was secure and she could still flex her arms to grab her lightsabers if needed. Good thing too, as her hands instantly wrapped around them when the new voice echoed out of the darkness. A familiar voice.

She relaxed as much as she could still knowing they were in the den of the enemy, but the Force truly was with them today. How Cheketta knew Pyrran looked to be another story that would have to wait until they were safely off-world. As curious as she might be, Teizi had to remind herself that the mission wasn't over yet.