Tython Interlude

Monkey Kitty

Re: Tython Interlude

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gwaine Corbin

This was escalating quickly. Gwaine had to put a stop to it, before the situation spiraled even further out of control.

"My Lord," Gwaine said tentatively. She was unsure of the proper form of address for a Jedi, so she defaulted to how she would have addressed a Sith - both in title and in the respectful, circumspect, and cautious tone. "I am... deeply grateful for your attempt to help me. But I can't... I cannot do this, My Lord. It isn't death that I fear. It isn't torture. I..."

She took a deep breath. Would more information help, or make the situation worse? It was a risk, certainly. But perhaps less of one than letting this plan continue.

"I attacked you so you would kill me. I am sorry for that, My Lord. But I have... I... I have a brother back in the Empire. He's an officer. I told Lord Jesk that. Lord Jesk took tactical information out of my mind - he knew the information would be used against the Empire. Of course it will. My people would do the same thing. But there will be retaliation against us from the Empire. Lord Jesk said I can just defect if I'm so worried. I told him I can't. That the Empire will go after my brother if I do. And then Lord Jesk said... that the Republic doesn't care what happens to my brother. That an Imperial officer isn't worth saving. That if I'm that concerned about him, I know what to do."

Her voice became stronger, clearer. "I do know what to do, My Lord. If I am killed in action, it will save my brother. If my remains are returned to the Empire after a hopeless battle with a Jedi, they will think I died bravely, not... not that I gave up information to the Republic. Please. I beg you. I'm sure you can't understand, but... I love my brother, and I can't let him die. Just kill me and end this. Please."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin and Neva Xolte

It was a good thing that Neva was there as Teizi found herself immediately at a loss. The zabrak captain whistled, clearly grasping her belt buckle as she did so. The smirk of a grin never faded.

"Oooo so it's a pick up AND a daring rescue. I'm sure we can swing that."

"I believe what the captain is trying to say is that it is a bit early to be giving up hope." Teizi was admittedly still stuck on the part where 'Lord Jesk' ripped information out of this woman's mind. It made her profoundly uncomfortable. "Would you be willing to allow us some time to prove that before you enact your plan?"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

"I will, My Lord," Gwaine said quietly.

She was still very unsure about the situation - and why would a Jedi help her? But it still seemed like her best option. Even her own death was no guarantee that her brother would be safe.

Gwaine drew a breath, and before she lost her nerve, she said, "His name is Gideon Corbin. He's a Lieutenant with the Nineteenth Imperial Fleet."

Back on Rishi, a few others were hearing the conversation with interest.

"I'd better go too," Jasper told Neva. "This guy's going to be a lot more comfortable - and hopefully cooperative - if there's another Imperial in the room. Defector or not, I've still got the accent and the know-how, and that's something."

Lieutenant Corbin's cooperation with his own rescue was a definite concern. He might or might not know he was in danger, and even if he was aware of the risk, he might not see a delegation from the Republic as a viable option for escape.

"We could hire a bounty hunter," Visper suggested. Jasper stared at her, open-mouthed, but the Jedi Master went on. "With instructions to bring him back alive, of course. But that would solve at least two of our problems. Gideon wouldn't have to cooperate, and gives the Empire an excuse to just forget about it. They might pursue a defector to deter others, but they aren't going to mount a rescue if they think he just pissed off the wrong person and got a Mandalorian on his tail. That is, of course, assuming Clan Cadera would be willing to take on a job for us...?"

Torian looked up from the piece of armor he was adjusting and nodded. "We'll do it. I heard the instructions. Find Lieutenant Corbin with the Nineteenth and bring him back warm, but put on a show for the Imperials."

"Exactly," Visper said. "We should talk about payment. I'll transfer you the credits..."

Torian shook his head. "Nah. This one's on the house."

Visper was surprised... and confused. They were getting along fine with the Mandalorians, but bounty hunters typically wouldn't work for free even for friends - it was bad for business. "We're able to pay."

"No," Torian said firmly. "We owe you this. Kismet has pledged this to you on the clan's behalf. Clan Cadera owes you two lives. You saved the lives of Tacia and Shandri. Two lives will settle the debt. You choose who. You want this Corbin to be one of them?"

"Yes," Visper said. "Please."

Torian nodded. "It will be done," he said. "You have my word, on the honor of my clan."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

"That's settled then. Padawan, you will remain here until the captain can come pick up...Miss Corbin. I suspect the Council will want to talk to me first - please come to the Temple afterwards."

"But Master..."

"We can't leave an Imperial spy unattended on a Republic orbital station - no offence, ma'am - and I do not wish to keep the Council waiting. This is the best option we have right now, Dallyn."

The young man bowed his head briefly, his lips pressed tightly together. She could tell he was unhappy. With exactly what, she hadn't gotten to ask, but now there simply wasn't any time. Hopefully they would get that chance after she met with the Council and laid their fears to rest.

"The Force be with you." he whispered.

Teizi smiled and rested a hand on his shoulder. Whatever had come between them could be repaired, she was sure of it. She nodded to the Imperial, turned, and opened the door. The Jedi were crowded around the entrance, hands fingering lightsaber hilts. She closed the door behind her, reactivating the lock. Padawan Dallyn would have to open it from the inside if anyone wanted to get at the occupants of the room. Teizi folded her hands before her and bent her head toward the other Jedi.

"My padawan will join me on the surface later. I am certain the Council will not want to be kept waiting in the meantime. Shall we?"

The shuttle ride down to the surface was all the more awkward for the strange situation that had just unfolded, but Teizi was oblivious to this. She was going over the facts in her mind - from the first moment she landed on Rishi to where she sat now. While she hoped there would be no more surprises, she also knew that particular hope was a futile one where Master Jesk was involved.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gwaine Corbin

Gwaine nodded, and waited quietly in her chair. She made no move toward the door. She saw absolutely no benefit in defying her captors - at least not yet. Following the instructions she had been given, at least for now, was the best chance for survival not just for Gideon, but for herself too.

The Jedi, meanwhile, were regarding Teizi with visible suspicion.

"Master Jesk was right," one of them muttered under his breath.

"That is for the Council to decide!" the other whispered back. But then to Teizi, he added, "Still, your behavior back there gives credence to what people are whispering about you. They say you've become a Sith sympathizer. That you've changed sides, and you work for the Empire now. I wouldn't have believed it. Not the Teizi Lin. The way you swooped in for that Imperial, though? And a spy for the Empire, no less. Well, no wonder the Council needs to test your loyalties, Jedi."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

"Does it?"

Her answer, she realized, was too short to convey what she was thinking.

"What I saw was a woman, pushed to desperation, looking for a quick death. Cruelly treated. Further cruelty expected. A Jedi should be able to see past emotion and bring peace to any situation."

Had it been the right decision? Yes, she was certain of it. And she was equally certain that encouraging other Jedi to see past the somewhat arbitrary divide of Imperial and Republic was the path to take.

It was a good thing that she'd taken the time to steady herself in advance else the echo of her bootfall in the Council chambers might have made her shudder in trepidation. Of course, Teizi was under no illusion here. She was on trial. There was no doubt about that. She came to a halt a respectful distance from the Council table, clasped her hands before her and bowed her head in greeting.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Council sat around the table, mostly impassive and emotionless. One of them - an elderly human healer, Master Mona Pell - smiled warmly at her.

"This Council is called to order," the Nautolan Master named Fupro Furri said. "Explain yourself, Jedi Lin."

"Now now," Mona said with a comforting smile. "There is no need for harsh words. Of course we trust that Jedi Lin had reasons for her decisions. No one thinks that you went to Rishi to consort with Sith, and absolutely no one is saying you're a hair's breadth from falling to the Dark Side. No one! Not at all! Of course we trust your judgment completely and aren't doubting you at all."

"So," Master Furri said shortly. "I ask you again. What exactly happened down there on Rishi, Jedi? And why did you put yourself and the Order in such a compromising position?"

Jesk was not physically present in the room, but his holo image stared accusingly at Teizi.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi met the eye of each Council member in turn, but looked at Jesk's holo projection with a measure of confusion. She reached out with the Force - surely he couldn't have gone far - after all, he had just been planetside torturing an Imperial spy. But no, he truly was no longer on the surface. Her accuser hadn't seen fit to stay behind for this...trial? Interrogation?

"I am not certain what you have heard, but I do believe that the Council was well aware of the Sith presence on Rishi. That most of those Sith are children, seeking help and healing. That there is a Jedi Master there, aiding with this healing. And a former Jedi - drawing them all together. The Council knows all this, so I can only come to the conclusion that what the Council is interested in is what happened when Master Jesk arrived on Rishi."

Here, Teizi took a breath. She could sense that her recap was met with some impatience, but she felt it was necessary.

"Master Jesk had asked me to spy on Master Visper Averod-Iresso and former Jedi Siralai Mahr. When I failed to report in the time expected, he arrived on Rishi with four Knights, intent on murder and kidnapping. I stood in the way of the chaos he brought to an otherwise peaceful place."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Master Jesk

As Teizi spoke, Jesk first looked grimmer and grimmer - then angrier and angrier.

"This is malicious slander!" the Master exploded. But when he felt the eyes of the other Council members on him and perceived their concern about his outburst, he dipped his head and began to speak more calmly. "Forgive me, honored colleagues. I briefly allowed my emotions to get the better of me. That was... beneath me."

He turned back to Teizi and said quietly, "These are misrepresentations, Jedi Lin. You were not asked to... 'spy,' as you so crassly put it. You were asked to perform reconnaissance. This is not an unusual task for a Jedi. Surely this is not the first time you have been assigned to gather information so the Order can act with knowledge of a situation? I know you are inexperienced, but I would have thought you were aware of such basic functions of a Knight. Had I known you lacked sufficient training, I would have entrusted the job to someone more capable. As for my own participation in the mission on the planet, I can only assure you my actions were entirely transparent and above board. I was sent to deal with a Sith who participated in the torture and murder of a Republic operative. You prevented me from doing so. I was tasked with returning the Sith children to Tython so they could receive a proper Jedi education and not fall to the Dark Side like so many of their kin. You interfered. Lastly, this 'kidnapping' you refer to was a legal custody transfer authorized by the appropriate Republic authorities for the good of the child in question. But you obstructed my efforts to ascertain so much as the child's current welfare. I'm sure you can understand, Jedi Lin, why I must question which side you are currently on?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Teizi Lin

She ducked her head briefly, considering. It was a good thing she had taken the time to go over the events in her mind - to prepare herself for this dance. Returning her gaze to level with Jesk, she deliberately broke eye contact with him to address the other Council members as she spoke.

"Certainly, 'reconnaissance' is something I could do, but as you suggested that I would be 'rewarded' with the title of Master if I performed the task and gave you the information exactly as you wished it, I considered it to be spying. As for the Sith, while the Sith may have participated in torture of a Republic operative, the operative is still alive - not murdered. Much like the Imperial operative you just tortured. I...ran into her in the orbital station. Some Republic soldiers can corroborate her story - as can a few Jedi."

This was a very dangerous step to take, and she knew it. Those Jedi thought that her show of mercy had been proof of her falling to the Dark side. She didn't understand how they could be so blind. Of course, their blindness would likely colour their version of events. Perhaps it was time to push Jesk for some answers.

"I am a bit surprised that you left Tython so quickly afterward, Master Jesk. I thought you might be here in person to accuse me."