Islands on Another World (GW2)

Quaxo9

Re: Islands on Another World (GW2)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

She felt all the more foolish to be found. But what did she expect? She was in a closet of an inn, not a cavern in the tundra. Clearly there was much to do in the way of recovery. Nothing she was doing made any sense whatsoever. What was she? So much for great strides made toward being Norn. Now she was neither the nomad nor the scholar.

Tempest's presence lingered beyond the wooden walls of her hideaway. Had Nairn been fully herself, pride would have kept her from cracking them open. Stopped her from checking the space behind Tempest, looking for persons her mind full well knew weren't there. Wouldn't have allowed her cheeks to appear flushed. Fortunately for Nairn, pride was currently licking her wounds.

The Norn's lanky frame spilled slowly from the confines of the cabinet, she largely remained inside it, sitting on the furniture's low shelf with her knees up around her ears and her arms hanging limply between them. Her head nuzzled her right knee for a moment before her pale eyes finally rose to look Tempest in the face. Once met, it was as though Nairn couldn't break her gaze.

It was a long, uncomfortable moment. For Nairn at least. She was aware that she was to answer the question. But how to begin?

"hhhhI don't kn...now what hhhhappened."

She cringed, both inwardly and outwardly. She really was regressing. Her toes wiggled toward each other, fingers entwined around each other, released and clenched at phantoms. Nairn's gaze dropped to the floor.

"Th..there were men. All clossse. And. One of them...touched...it wasss an accccident.Then they, they all...all got sssso close. hhhhI don't know why I..."

Completely lost my head? Became a savage mindless beast? She was at a loss for how she could finish the sentence and sum up all the feelings of shame and outrage she felt.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Tempest Rutherford

Tempest was not uncomfortable at all. She merely sat still, listening intently, as Nairn told the fragments of her tale.

When Nairn had come to a stop and trailed off, Tempest replied, "I'm sorry that happened, Nairn. It sounds very difficult and frightening. What happened to you - it's common, I'm afraid. I'm not sure if that will make you feel better or worse, but it's the truth. Our bodies remember things, sometimes even more strongly than our conscious minds do, and they respond instinctively when things remind them of danger, even when our rational thoughts try to tell us we know better. Being touched by strangers is a significant trigger. You can't judge yourself too harshly for that. The wounds of trauma take time to heal - far beyond what it takes to mend physical injuries. If it would help to talk about any of it, I'm happy to listen."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita and Stefan followed Nairn back to the inn. Anakita knew enough of the behavior patterns of others to understand that Nairn was upset, but had no idea how to fix it. She was relieved, then, when Tempest seemed to be taking care of it, and left her to say the right words to Nairn. It wasn't that Anakita didn't care; she did, very much. But the right words were so hard for her to find, and the wrong words would cause more trouble. Anakita would wait for the healer to smooth over these particular wounds.

Meanwhile, she might as well make herself comfortable. She went to the bar for a glass of fruit juice, and crossed paths with Angus, who had ordered another round of mugs of tea.

"So," Anakita said conversationally. "When are you going to tell her?"

Angus looked startled, and blinked a few times. "Tell what to whom?" he asked, but with a haste and dryness of the mouth that suggested he had a guess already.

"Tell Drina that you love her," Anakita said, elbowing him playfully. "When?"

"I... can't tell her that," Angus replied, turning red as a beet.

"Why? Don't you?"

Angus found he couldn't lie. "I... I do. Of course I do. But I can't tell her that."

"Why?" Anakita looked flummoxed. She was about to put her hands on her hips, but there was fruit juice in one of them, so she hoped that just the other hand on the hip was sufficiently menacing. "If you don't tell her, she can't tell you she loves you back, and you'll both be stuck mooning at each other forever."

Angus turned even redder. Mooning? They thought he was... mooning? "I can assure you, she doesn't feel the same way. She can't. I'm just a mortal..."

"I think she likes mortals! Just in general."

"And besides that..." Angus looked down, ashamed. He wished the tea would come so he could escape this conversation. "You don't know. How she found me. The state she saw me in. She wouldn't... I'm supposed to be a man..."

"You are a man. Aren't you?"

"Yes, but I..." Angus paused, unsure what to say, not wanting to spill the whole sorry story of his humiliation to this odd woman he barely knew.

Anakita shrugged. "I'm just saying. You look at each other a lot. You talk to each other a lot. She touches and cuddles you a lot for someone she supposedly doesn't love." She made a noncommittal gesture with the fruit juice glass. "I'm sure you know best, though. Good luck!"

The Ranger raised the glass again in a little toast, then disappeared back into the dining room where the rest of their group sat, leaving Angus blushing and dumbfounded.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Drina and Angus

"Angus, can I speak to you?" Drina asked hesitantly. "Alone?"

"Of course." He followed her out to the hallway, deeply worried. She looked... afraid. He had never seen her look afraid before. He knew she had been, while they were trying to stay alive on the trip from Coldharbour to Leyawiin, but it hadn't shown clearly on her face like this. Till now.

"What's wrong?" he asked when they were by themselves, his voice full of concern.

Drina drew in her breath, but she didn't speak. Instead she threw her arms around him, clinging tightly to him. Although she was taller than him, currently her face was buried in his shoulder. He could feel her trembling.

"Drina, what...?"

"I have to go," she said. Her voice was shaky.

"What? Why?"

"Fira will be back soon. She'll try to kill me again. I can't go back to Coldharbour."

Angus still didn't quite understand what was happening. "Fira? But Drina, she's only one person. All the rest of us will protect you..."

Drina shook her head. "It isn't just her. She's the first. But it won't matter how it ends, because more will come. More and more. And they're right. I don't belong here."

"You don't belong in Coldharbour."

Drina smiled sadly. "I know. I don't think I belong anywhere."

"I don't think I belong anywhere either," Angus said softly.

"Of course you do! You belong here. These people all care..."

"Maybe I belong with you." Angus seemed surprised by his own words. His mouth snapped closed reflexively. But now that they were said, he had no desire to take them back. "Please, let me go with you. I want to go with you."

Drina smiled at him, her eyes heavy with sadness. "Oh Angus. I'm going to miss you. Terribly. But you can't ask to come with me. You deserve to be safe and happy. The life I'm going to lead will be a cold and lonely one."

Angus pressed on, determined. "I don't mind the cold. Maybe... maybe it doesn't have to be lonely. Drina, I... I fully expect you to say no. I know I'm just a mortal. I know I have nothing to offer you. I understand that you probably don't want me. But if you did... if you ever did... just know how much you would be cherished..."

Abruptly, Drina threw her arms around him again and clung to him. "I don't know what to say," she said quietly, her voice muffled against his shoulder.

"It's alright. Truly. I didn't expect you to say yes..."

"Don't leave me." Her voice was forceful. Her arms were tight around him. "Don't leave me because I don't know what to say. I've never done this before. I've never heard anyone do this before. I don't know how. Just stay while I figure out what to say. Please."

"You... you are saying yes?"

He felt her nod. She was breathing raggedly. He wondered if she was crying.

"Then you don't have to say anything at all," he assured her. "This is enough."

She looked up at him gratefully. He hadn't noticed the tears in his own eyes until she wiped them away.

"But Drina... are you sure? I'm so glad. But I'm surprised. I didn't think you could... not after what you saw in Coldharbour. When you saw me naked and bleeding and violated. I didn't think you would..."

Drina shook her head. "I saw how brave you are. I saw your strength. I saw you fighting for your life, and winning. You were hurt but unbroken. It was admirable. I always knew you were worth saving. And you're worth so much more than just that. May I...?"

He nodded, and she kissed him, on the lips but very gently. Angus kissed her back with equal gentleness. He couldn't quite believe what was happening.

"When you leave, you'll take me with you, won't you?"

Drina nodded. She hoped she was doing the right thing. She still worried a little that she was being unfair to him, dragging along on a difficult path. But he was willing, and she had no intention of letting go of him.

"You may not be safe," she warned him one last time.

"I feel safer with you than without you," Angus told her. "I know you'll protect me. You have from the moment I met you."

She smiled at him, this time without a trace of sadness. "Yes. I will."

That was a promise.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

"hhhhYou sssaw the ssscars."

Her left hand fluttered up to touch the outside of her right thigh. It was an assumption, but the deep claw marks that ran from hip to knee on both her legs were something she considered an embarrassment. They were the reason she always wore a layer of clothing over her legs no matter how hot it was. They were exposed when she'd changed into a hunter's skirt for her battle with the havroun and later walked through the streets of Divinity's Reach to Anakita's house with a bit too much ale in her blood.

She fingered the familiar ribbing under her leggings. Her eyes refocused on Tempest.

"It ... wasss a long tiiiime ago. hhhI would rather forget. Why...won't it go away?"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Tempest Rutherford

Tempest had indeed seen the scars, and nodded slightly in acknowledgement, but she hadn't given much thought to them at the time. So many bodies bore scars - her own, Cullen's, the people she healed - that she had simply come to accept their presence as commonplace. Obviously these scars had a profound and painful significance to Nairn.

"I wish it were that simple, Nairn," Tempest said with genuine regret. "That we could simply forget the memories we wish to discard, and only keep those we wish to hold onto. But perhaps it's best that it doesn't work that way. Our memories are part of what makes us who we are - both the good and the bad. In any case, the memories are with us, and the only way out is through, experiencing them and learning to live with them... but the situation isn't hopeless. We can learn to better stay in the present, so the memories don't drag us back us back to those dark places. I can show you some grounding techniques that can help, if you would like?"

Nairn indicated her willingness.

"There are some breathing techniques. Like this." Tempest demonstrated a couple of different methods of deep breathing. "That can help you stay grounded. So can pressing your feet to the floor. Like this. Your feet act as roots, keeping you in the present."

She demonstrated this too, pressing the soles of her feet firmly against the wood floor, and continuing with the deep breathing.

"For some people, it helps to have an object that ties you to the present. For many years, I needed such an object - for me, it was a blue scarf that was given to me by a friend who was very kind to me. When I saw or felt the scarf, it reminded me that I was safe. I don't need to carry the physical object with me anymore. I learned to keep that feeling inside, with time. But like any skill, these things take time to develop. Another thing you can do is focus on the input of your senses. Make a list of what you see, hear, smell, touch, and taste - and it can keep you from slipping back into the past."

She shrugged slightly, and amended, "These are just ideas. They're what's worked for me over the years. You can try them and see if they help."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Drina and Angus

"You know we can't tell anyone, don't you?" Drina asked.

Angus nodded. "I know," he said. "I wish we could be together openly. But people wouldn't accept it. Yours or mine."

The other daedra would never accept that Drina had attached herself to a mere mortal. And the other humans - at best, they would think Angus was bewitched and controlled by a scheming dremora. At worst, they would think he was in league with the forces of Molag Bal.

No one would accept that two people so different could just... be in love.

Well, one person would, Angus thought with a small smile, remembering how encouraging the Ranger had been. But Anakita was an eccentric - pleasantly so, perhaps, but they couldn't expect that everyone would follow her lead.

"Are you sure that's what you want?" Drina asked. "Having to hide? You could have a normal life..."

"I'm sure. I want you. If that means hiding, so be it."

"And Angus... you understand that I can't give you children, don't you? Daedra can't create life from our bodies like humans can."

"I understand," Angus assured her. "It's fine. I never longed for children. I never expected children. I wouldn't have become a celibate priest if I did."

"About that. The celibacy. Is your plan to... continue that? It's alright if you do, we can still be together, but I just wondered..."

Angus shook his head. "It was a vow to the church. They discarded me. The demands they made of me are null and void now. If I do as you suggested and become a priest of Mara, instead, a relationship will be no problem - encouraged, even. Although..."

He hesitated. Drina did not.

"Although they may not be so keen on a daedra, even so," she finished for him.

"Yes, sorry. But it's alright. We'll be together. We'll be happy."

"We'll be happy," Drina agreed. To her surprise, she actually believed it.

They would need to go back soon, before people started to wonder. But now that this was actually happening, Drina couldn't resist stealing one more secret kiss in the hall.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Fira-Nar

She'd bowed out of the Father's office, with a few murmured non-committal phrases regarding the dremora she knew full well was somewhere next to Angus the former priest of Stendarr. On her way out, she managed to avoid too many gossiping priests, but did hear something about a wild barbarian loose in the library. Interesting, but she wasn't going to stick around and find out more. She suddenly felt like they were on a much higher deadline. Little Elabeth was definitely living on borrowed time.

All the way back to the inn, she turned over the pieces of the story in her mind. Obviously, they weren't going to just murder a little girl. Even if it was as Father Lucius had said - that she was created in a form that would make them feel sympathy for her - she still had a right to live, didn't she? Especially if the knife could be bound. Only if the knife could be bound. Fira had gotten the feeling that she couldn't press the Father for anything outside of his personal experience. She felt like a failure for not risking asking for details about the binding.

Still. Not all could be lost. There had to be another way to find out the information they needed. For now, they'd have to use what little she gained from the Father and go from there.

As she stepped into the cool of the tavern, she breathed in deeply of the smells of lunch being prepared and licked her lips absently in anticipation. It seemed like breakfast was a lifetime ago. Always hungry. Typical. At least their group was in the dining room - conveniently located. Spotting Ulga, she nodded at the orc, then moved to take a seat next to her.

"So, I got an audience with Father Lucius - he had, um, dealt with a destroyer knife in the past. He said that there's a way to bind it - so that the vessel can be saved! We just need a healer, a scholar, a priest and a paladin. I think he meant literally. So, I suppose it's good that we have three of those things at least. Not sure where we're going to find a paladin, though."

The pressure of the stares from around the table managed to make an impression on the otherwise less-than-socially-intuitive argonian.

"Oh. Um. Well, Father Lucius said that a paladin has to be consecrated by a Divine and um, well, I'm already...otherwise engaged."

She swallowed hard, not sure why the room suddenly felt a bit smaller than it did before - and equally unsure why she was so nervous to bring up the fact that she was pledged to a Daedric Prince. There was a dremora in the room, after all. Perhaps it was her time at the church of Stendarr that had made her wary. The way they'd treated Angus - at least in word after his departure - and how Father Lucius had spoken of...no, the less she said about daedra in a town devoted to Stendarr the better.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

For a moment, there was stunned silence.

Then Anakita raised her glass. "Congratulations!" she said with a smile. "A toast to the future bride!"

Everyone else seemed inclined to just let that one pass.

Angus said, "I apologize that I didn't fully understand the urgency of the situation when you asked me earlier. I didn't realize you had actually identified a destroyer knife. I assume the vessel is a person, since you're looking for a nonlethal solution?"

Ulga nodded. "It's a person. A little girl."

Angus sucked in his breath and nodded. No wonder they were so determined. "I see. Well, I think a binding should work, if we can figure out more details of the ritual. Fira, what Father Lucius told you... is not exactly incorrect, but is filtered through the lens of his own experience and his opinions about the proper ways of things. A paladin need not serve the Divines per se. Another powerful entity would do. A daedric prince, perhaps - though we'd want to be careful which prince - or some other roughly equivalent being if such exist."

He looked slightly uncomfortable. "What I am not sure about is whether you still have a priest. I'm sorry. For those who don't know..."

For those who hadn't seen him fleeing the church with tears in his eyes, his life once again ripped into tatters...

He cleared his throat. "My return to the church went poorly. I was not welcomed back. They felt that I was too compromised. That I had not done enough to prevent... uh, the things that happened to me in Coldharbour. The means by which I was to prove my loyalty were unacceptable. I would not murder my rescuer for them, so they severed me from the church. I'm sorry. I... don't think I can be your priest anymore."

Drina was staring at him, looking almost frozen. She hadn't realized the latter part. That he had been offered a reprieve from the loss, at the cost of her life, and he hadn't taken it. She put her hand on his shoulder - she could only hope it would be perceived as a platonic gesture of friendship by the others, because she needed to bolster him with all the strength she could.

"You're still a priest, Angus," Drina said firmly. "We talked about this. Remember? You said you hadn't lost your faith in the Divines. This is who you are. They can't take it from you. You may still be trying to figure out how you're going to live it out now, but it's still within you."

Cullen spoke up. "I'm sure Drina is right," he said. "Surely a technicality of official church affiliation will not matter for such things. You have the training and the knowledge, and it seems you have the sort of inspiration that is needed too."

Angus touched Drina's hand with his own, squeezing her fingertips. "Thank you both," he said. "I'll try. If I will still suffice as a priest for the purposes of the ritual, I offer you my help, as long as...."

He met Drina's eyes. He had promised to go away with her, and he still wanted that. But how could he leave a child to die, for the sake of his own happiness? And yet, how could he leave the woman he loved in mortal danger by asking her to stay in proximity to someone who wanted to kill her, so that he could help save a stranger? Was there any right thing to do here? Any right thing at all?

Drina nodded. "We'll stay a little longer," she said.

"Thank you," Angus told her quietly - but with worry clouding his eyes, and a degree of uncertainty in his tone. He was painfully aware that he might be making the worst mistake of his life... and that Drina would be the one to pay the cost, not him.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore

Tempest would find in the Norn an apt student, though Nairn had never made it through a full day of formal classes in her life. As such, her learning style tended toward absolute absorption - not participatory, even though the subject certainly would have warranted it. Instruction completed, Nairn nodded her understanding and began the first breathing technique Tempest had demonstrated. She noted how the air filled her lungs, how her ribcage felt more open after expelling the held breath, how muscles she didn't know where tense began to relax. As someone given to introspection, it was fascinating to watch her body respond to a set of basic commands - breathe in, hold, and breathe out. Elegant in its simplicity.

As much as these techniques were intended to relax and focus one, Nairn felt invigorated by the new dose of knowledge she'd just received. How had she never read anything about this? Clearly the techniques had merit - were they simply a discovery of a different world that hadn't developed in her own? She pressed her feet into the floor and stood, taking especial notice of the pressure points on her feet. It was something she knew was always there, but had never really given it much thought. For so many years, she'd trained herself to be stealthy, which required a distinct awareness of body. She supposed it was only natural to have moved past requiring herself to be aware of such things when she had lived in them so long. So, the idea may not be so foreign after all, but a fresh perspective. Interesting.

"I found a scroll - in the church - about the binding. We should go to the child. I do not believe she has much time."

The accent was gone. Nairn appeared steadied. Though assuredly still a bit skittish should anyone approach, she felt she could manage to return to a group setting.