Islands on Another World (GW2)

Quaxo9

Re: Islands on Another World (GW2)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Fira-Nar and Nairn Tuckamore

"Um, ha ha, strangely enough, no. Not elves. Apparently they have horns and stuff and Duke Esten already ejected elves from his place so..."

"Duke Esten is the first noble who turned against the elves here. We should be speaking with him." Nairn interrupted, her voice carrying surprisingly well considering her half-concealment in her chosen tree.

Fira glared in the direction of the Norn, then returned her attention to Tempest and Cullen. "Yeah, so the Duke sent some messenger around to find some mercs to 'get rid' of the new refugees and though he denied it, it sounds like the Duke would be fine if someone 'took care' of the refugees, you know what I'm sayin''? So, I kinda volunteered to be that merc...but I don't really know who these people are or what to...do? with them?"

"We could 'take care' of the Duke, then the refugees could stay."

The argonian gaped in shock at the audacity of Nairn's proposal. Her mouth moved, but no words came out. Sure, it was a terrible idea because killing a Duke would inevitably rally all the nobles against them and their cause and probably make life worse for the elves - but she couldn't deny that the simplicity of the idea was attractive.

Closing her book, Nairn dismounted and approached the Rutherfords. "I spoke to an elf in town. He said you ordered an elf's death. I told him that was unlikely. He did not seem to believe me." She paused, looking uncharacteristically uncertain of herself. "I...thought you might want to know. I was not certain if you would find someone thinking ill of you...bothersome."

Truthfully, Nairn wasn't sure why she flat out told Tempest that someone didn't like her. Why, whole cities hated Nairn based on her name alone and she didn't let that fact keep her up at night. So, what was it then? That she thought Tempest might be bothered? Thinking on it, probably not. The woman seemed confident and unreliant on the praise of others. Was it actually she who was bothered that someone thought ill of the kind healer? The possibility of this being true passed through Nairn's brain in the span of an eyeblink. She didn't know exactly what to do with that information so she summed up her meeting with Aimosh while stooping down to tend the cook fire.

"He also seemed to think the Dread Wolf would win. Again, he did not seem to be swayed by my assurances otherwise."

"So now she's chatty..." Fira grumbled under her breath.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Tempest and Cullen Rutherford

"It's possible," Tempest said gravely. "Although I am sorry if that's the case..."

"We were fighting a war," Cullen interjected evenly. "Battles have casualties, and most of them are someone's friend. That's not your fault."

But Tempest still looked troubled. "That elf... it was Aimosh, wasn't it? It must have been. That's why he approached me and acted so oddly. But who would Aimosh have cause to think I killed? He was one of the Tevinter refugees, in the group with Rashel. I can't think who we might have fought that he'd feel an attachment to?"

She looked to Cullen, but he merely shook his head, also unable to come up with an answer.

"Thank you, Nairn," Tempest said. "I'll speak to him, and make it right if I can. As soon as possible, if Aimosh thinks it's life and death. I hate to leave so serious a wrong."

But they also had the refugees to think of. Things seemed to be getting increasingly more complicated, rather than less so.

"Unfortunately, killing Esten at this juncture would just make things worse," Cullen mused. "You will notice I am not closing the door on the possibility of killing him - just not now. The other nobles would take his death amiss; even if they don't like him and would happily kill him themselves, an offensive attack by strangers on one of their own is a clear threat. Additionally, his death is no guarantee the refugees could stay. The death of a noble rarely simply puts their estate up for grabs, as far as I've seen. So as... tempting... as that thought is, I fear it would do more harm than good."

"I think we should talk to the refugees first," Tempest suggested. "It will be easier to figure out how to meet their needs if we know more specifically what those needs are. Fira, you have paved the way for that - thank you. The refugees will no doubt be suspicious at first, so we will need to gain their trust. Approaching in the dark may cause... misunderstandings. Let's seek them out at first light, and see what agreement can be reached."
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Angus, Aimosh, Tempest, and Cullen

As the distraught elf poured out his story, the priest's heart became increasingly troubled too.

"And you're absolutely certain of this?"

"Yes, Father. She didn't get away in time. The others saw the soldiers take her, heard them say they were going to hang her for a spy. And we never saw her again after that."

Angus wasn't sure what to think. This story - it seemed so unlike the gentle healer who had cared for him after his ordeal in Coldharbour. Power corrupts, and people change... but do they change that much? It was so hard to imagine.

Or perhaps the girl really was a spy after all? Even as the thought crossed his mind, he knew he wouldn't be able to convince himself of it. No, these had been escaped slaves on the brink of starvation, scrounging for any scrap that could keep them alive, not masterminds of espionage.

How could he reconcile this?

And more importantly - now that whatever had happened in the past was done and couldn't be undone - how could he make sure it didn't result in the death of another undeserving soul in the present?

"Aimosh," Angus said after a moment's thought. "Will you allow me to help you to resolve this? Let me talk to her. Let me find out what really happened. If I can set your mind at ease, will you call off whatever you have planned for her?"

Aimosh looked unimpressed. "Do as you like, Father. Makes no difference to me."

Taking that as as much of a yes as he was likely to get, Angus made his way swiftly back to camp. The image of a shadowy figure hanging limply from a tree limb haunted the priest's mind with every step, his thoughts a knot of conflicts.

Angus had expected an immediate, reflexive denial from Tempest about what had happened. He assumed anyone would do so, in her place. But to his surprise, when he laid out the bare bones of the story - elves stealing food from the Inquistion's supplies, vague mention of a girl captured by soldiers - Tempest and Cullen exchanged a brief acknowledging look.

Then Tempest said, "Yes, that was all a terrible misunderstanding."

Angus frowned. Misunderstanding? That was a casual word for the callous death of a young woman...

Correctly sensing the priest's misgivings - although perhaps not the precise line of thought behind them, Cullen elaborated. "Look, yes, it was all very unfortunate. The soldiers grossly overstepped their orders, and they were reprimanded for it, but ultimately there was no harm done..."

"No... no harm done?" Angus could hardly get the words out. Did they really think that? That the death of an elf was no great harm?

"Well, nothing permanent," Tempest said. "Of course it was very frightening for her at the time, but I certainly don't think she held it against us..."

Angus blinked. "Didn't... hold it against you?"

"Well, I don't think so," Tempest said, now becoming confused herself. "She hasn't mentioned it in years. Why, did she say something to you...?"

"Say something to me? What...? How...? Aimosh said she's dead."

Tempest and Cullen exchanged another look, this time slightly alarmed.

"Ah," Tempest said. "Well, that explains who Aimosh thought I killed. Poor man. But no, the girl in question is very much alive, and in fact you've met her, Angus. Our eldest daughter, Rashel?"

Angus scrambled to adjust his thinking to this new piece of information. "It's Rashel? Aimosh said she never came back..."

"Well, that's true," Tempest explained. "She didn't go back to the refugee camp. After her scare with the soldiers, we invited her to stay for dinner - we talked - and we realized her needs were much greater than just some food. She had been enslaved for most of her life. She knew nothing else. She was in... suffice it to say, in a bad state. We couldn't just send her back, not when we had the means to help her. So she stayed with us. She was barely grown, never had a family of her own. We had three daughters already then, and she fit in so well with them. Once she was settled, we had no reason, no desire, to make her leave. So she became part of our family too."

Angus nodded. The heavy knot in his stomach had unclenched. He knew they were telling the truth. It felt like truth. It fit all the pieces together in a way that also fit the people he had been right that he truly knew.

"Aimosh is planning to have you killed, Tempest," Aimosh said bluntly. Before they had time to react to that revelation, he added, "But don't worry. I can fix it now."

Aimosh peered at Angus with undisguised disbelief. "I was a fool to trust a priest. Should have known better. That's what she told you? That she adopted some elf slave? That she got a daughter out of the refugee camps? I can't believe you fell for rubbish like that."

"I knew you wouldn't believe me," Angus said evenly, and without offense. "But I think you'll believe her."

The young woman who had been standing beside the priest dropped her hood. "Hello, Aimosh," Rashel said.

Aimosh stared as though he had seen a ghost.

"I made a terrible mistake," Aimosh told the elf leader they called Farsight. "What I said before - I thought it was true, but it wasn't. The Inquisitor - she didn't do what I thought she did. Will you call your people off? Please, I beg you. I don't want to be responsible for this. Please..."

The leader's face was obscured by his cloak, and his back was to Aimosh, but Aimosh had no doubt the other elf was listening to him intently. "Yes," Farsight said. "I will."

"You... you will? Just like that?"

"Certainly. We are fighting for our lives, Aimosh - not for indiscriminate vengeance against all humankind. We have plenty of real enemies without chasing after mistaken ones."

"I... I thank you, sir."

Farsight nodded, and motioned to his second in command to relay the order.

"I'm sorry," Aimosh said, hanging his head.

"I'm sorry too," Tempest replied. "I should have sent a message to reassure you at the time. Rashel didn't realize at the time that anyone would notice or care that she was gone. I'm sure she's pleasantly surprised that she was wrong. Will you stay and have supper with us, Aimosh?"
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Fira-Nar

It amazed her how things seemed to work out. Sure it could be destiny or something, but she had a feeling it had something to more to do with the people. Tempest's diplomacy skills, Anakita's persistence, Father Angus' insight. She supposed that if any group was going to take a crack at saving the worlds, this one had a something approximating a shot. But first...

The impending assassination avoided, evening meal consumed, and some open-mouthed snoring on her part eventually led to a pink-hued morning. And morning meant there was no more time to avoid facing the problem she'd volunteered to solve. Tempest and Cullen had volunteered to come talk to the new refugees, but Fira felt like maybe there was another couple who could lend a hand.

She found Drina and Angus near the campfire and squatted down next to them.

"Hey, so I was wondering if you two could come with us to talk with these refugees today. Now I know, I know you're trying to keep a low profile and stuff, but I think...I think it'd help if you came. These refugees, uh, well the messenger said they have horns and I thought...well...maybe if they saw you had horns, they'd be less likely to think we were going to harm them. Maybe bridge the gap...or something. And Father Angus...sure could use your help figuring out how we're going to help them. I think it'd be handy having someone else who knows the world like we do...yeah."

She finished with a little word of self-assurance as though she had to agree with herself that she'd said the right thing. If the pair agreed to come, the five of them would make the walk toward Duke Esten's estate and the refugee camp on its border.