Islands on Another World (GW2)

Quaxo9

Re: Islands on Another World (GW2)

Post by Quaxo9 »

Fira-Nar and Nairn Tuckamore

The Argonian gave the vampire a close look, then lowed her weapon into a more defensive pose as she bent to speak to the child. An eye on the other corner of the cell, she stretched out her left hand and smiled in a pleasant manner.

"Come now, my dear. Let's get you out of here."

Once the child was safely out of the way of the barriers, Fira gave Anakita a nod to suggest the archer press the button again.

Nairn had determined there were no cultists in the room, and approached the magical barrier. She lifted her hand to gently caress the shimmering energy field and speculated on whether it might be the same sort of barrier Tempest had erected back in Tyria. Her eyes flicked up to observe the elf inside, curled - no, crushed - against herself. She appeared to be in some sort of distress, but due to what, Nairn was unable to tell what it was. If the woman was ill, why did the lizard woman ask Anakita to re-establish the barrier? Perhaps this crew had only been welcoming because they were allied with Mikael. Or perhaps the illness was communicable. Either way, she couldn't just sit on the question.

"Are you ill? " It was posited more like a statement than an inquiry.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Mikael Stormcrow

Anakita hesitated, regarding the strange elf, but Mikael had no such qualms. He hit the button, and the barrier shimmered back into place.

"She's a vampire," Mikael informed the others. When he saw that most people didn't seem to have any idea what he was talking about, he explained, "She subsists on blood. Vampires' souls belong to Molag Bal."

"That doesn't mean they're all evil!" Ulga said, rather hotly.

Mikael looked surprised by her vehement reaction, but nodded. "That is true. Vampires have free will, like any other. But it does make them exceptionally dangerous, and this one is hungry and losing blood."

The vampire looked at the group through the barrier. "I don't deny that. But before you decide to kill me, there are things you must know. My death is what the cultists intend. See that rune on the floor? If you kill me - which they're counting on - it will activate. I don't know exactly what will happen, but it won't be good. Also... about the child. There's some sort of curse on her."

"What kind of curse?" Mikael demanded, sounding slightly like he thought the vampire might be responsible.

She shrugged. "I don't know the details of that either. The cultists didn't want to say much in front of me. But they're hoping you'll save her, and her continued life will bring ruin."

The child cowered behind Galewen.

The vampire added hastily, "I'm not saying you should do otherwise. Please, do not harm her. As you could see, I was doing my best not to. There must be some solution for the curse. But if... you make the other decision about the rune on the floor, you needed the information before it's too late."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Fira-Nar and Nairn Tuckamore

It had simply been a precaution to lock the vampire back in her cell - Fira could tell that she was struggling to contain herself and wasn't sure how far gone she might be. Clearly, she still had enough control to tell them what the cultists intended. Here was the trap they had been expecting...she supposed that most parties would have sprung it by now. Fira herself wasn't fussed about killing vampires - she didn't want to be bitten and objected to that as well as forced turnings of unsuspecting villagers - so staying her blade wasn't difficult. What did concern her was getting this vampire a meal and out of here before someone did make good on activating that rune.

Nairn, on the other hand, did not move from her spot directly on the other side of the barrier. She had listened with interest to the short description of vampires and of course to the information from the woman herself. These cultists were sly... She wasn't sure what they were going to do about the child. In her experience, curses weren't necessarily the be all that ended all, but it really did depend on the curse. In the end, if someone was willing to go the distance, all curses could be broken. Which left the vampire.

"So you are not sick, only hungry. You may have some of my blood if you wish. I have quite a lot."

Nairn began undoing the bracer from her right arm, fully prepared to offer up her vitals for the elf in the cell. She did not seem bothered by the idea of bloodletting - surely, she was no ritualist, but it seemed commonplace enough that she was willing to give it a try.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

The Vampire

The vampire stared at Nairn's exposed wrist, as if mesmerized by the pulse only she had senses acute enough to hear.

Taking this as agreement to the plan, Anakita opened the barrier. After all, the vampire was vastly outnumbered. However dangerous these vampires might be, surely all of them would be a match for one individual if things got out of hand and Nairn appeared to be in danger.

The vampire took one last, longing look at Nairn's arm... then sprinted past her.

At first, Anakita thought the vampire was aiming for the child, but as the Ranger moved to intervene, the vampire made a gravity-defying leap, easily clearing the top of the child's head and then continuing forward momentum without breaking her stride.

The vampire disappeared up the next flight of stairs.

"Well," Anakita said. "Interesting."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore and Fira-Nar

Despite her nonchalance, Nairn had been briefly excited by the idea of being bitten and fed upon. She wondered if vampires had hollow teeth - or simply bit and then fed by suction...unfortunately these were questions she was going to end up having to ask. The elf woman disappeared up the stairs to a higher level of the tower. Anakita was right - it was interesting. If the vampire had hoped simply to escape, would she not have gone down? Nairn flipped the bracer around over her wrist and began lacing it as she followed the woman's path.

Fira, however, was more concerned with one of the other threats in the room - the rune that only needed a vampire's blood to activate. The vampire that had been trapped in the cell was certainly not the only vampire available to the cult. It was only a matter of time before someone found another victim and slaughtered them on the spot.

An agonizing squeal filled the chamber, the reverberations making even the earless Argonian cringe as she dragged the tip of her greatsword along the stone floor. Runes required absolute precision to function as intended. These gouges would prevent that from happening now or in the future. She fingered the dulled tip of the weapon and shrugged. Now, the other thing that would keep the rune from activating...the eradication of the cultists themselves.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita nodded approvingly when Fira obliterated the marking on the floor. The sound might be hard on the ears, but it could save them a lot of difficulty later.

"I guess we'd better find her," Anakita added. If vampires were so dangerous, leaving a rogue one wandering around probably wasn't a good idea.

The finding didn't take long. The vampire was just up the next flight of stairs and around the corner.

Her eyes looked calmer, no longer feral. There was a healthy flush to her cheeks. A pair of dead cultists had been discreetly stashed in the small alcove.

The vampire smiled at the party. "We meet again," she said. "I apologize for my earlier rudeness. My name is Essessellia Adair Inday - you may call me Sellia if you wish. I am pleased to make your acquaintance a second time."
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore and Fira-Nar

Nairn had been in agreement with Anakita, but also for the reason that she simply wanted to know what was up the stairs that the vampire had found more interesting than a meal. She soon had her answer. From her vantage point, the slumped over bodies dressed in purple robes had been obviously deposited by said vampire. 'Obviously' because the change in the woman was marked. Interesting. She needed to know more about these vampires. In time.

The Argonian shouldered her way forward into the stairwell and yelled up past the bodies in her way.

"Well met! I am Fira-Nar - but we are many, so perhaps we can save introductions until after we find the rest of the cult? You wouldn't happen to know where they are holed up?"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Sellia

"I know where some of them are," Sellia replied. "Upstairs, in the top floors of this tower. The bulk of their numbers are not here - and I'm afraid I don't know exactly where. They spoke of some sort of observatory and study on the top level, though, so perhaps we can find information there."

The change in the woman was really remarkable, Anakita thought. The feral look was entirely gone, and the woman was calm and coherent. Her skin was still pale, though, and her eyes weren't quite human.

Sellia explained, "They didn't tell me much. I was just a prisoner. But they spoke of their plan a little bit in front of me. They were staging a little scene for you, to get you to do their dirty work."

Mikael still looked skeptical. To Anakita - only because she happened to be next to him - he whispered, "Why does she keep looking at Gwindor like that?"

Anakita shrugged slightly, and whispered back, "She probably thinks he's hot."

Mikael shook his head. "No, there must be some trick up her sleeve," he muttered under his breath.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Nairn Tuckamore and Fira Nar

Well, they had expected this to be a trap - and it had been intended as one - so it made logical sense that the heart of their forces would be elsewhere. Nairn tapped a dagger against her wrist with uncommon impatience.

"Hopefully one of these men will be more chatty than the last one we interviewed." She visibly paused, then clearly put her question to Sellia, "Are all the cultists men? I am not sure I've seen any women amongst them so far..."

Perhaps it was a silly thing to ask, but she couldn't help but draw a tentative line between these cultists and the Sons of Svanir. It would be better for the cultists if they were to remain...unconnected to the latter.

Fira was stuck at the back of the line of people practically filling the stone stairwell. She attempted to peer around everyone's shoulders, then finally said in a voice she assumed would be loud enough to carry to the front.

"Well, if they are up there, let's go after them before they leave! We can't question people who aren't there!"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Sellia

"Some are women," Sellia said. "Though it's a bit hard to tell under the hoods. They all look rather the same in those robes."

As softly as Anakita and Mikael had been speaking, Sellia's acute vampire hearing had picked up the words, and a very faint embarrassed flush had risen to her cheeks. She was very careful not to let her gaze drift anywhere near the very attractive one again. Much as she might tell herself not to be fazed by the judgment, she was ashamed of the moment of weakness.

Heading up the stairs was easily approved of by all. The whole party seemed eager to put the matter to rest - though it was becoming increasingly obvious that might not be such a simple proposition. Galenwen made sure to keep the child behind her, safe from harm if they encountered danger.

They met no resistance until they reached the upper floor. Then they came upon about twenty cultists gathered in a large circular room, enacting some kind of ritual.

Linlom whispered, "We should observe them for a moment." It was not to be, though. The sound of that many people on the stairs had not gone unnoticed, and the cultists stopped what they were doing and hastily prepared for the fight to come.