False Flags (WWII setting)

Monkey Kitty

Re: False Flags (WWII setting)

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gilda Engel and Isaac Fishblatt

"No need," Gilda said briskly. "I drugged him. Vodka and sleeping pills. It won't keep him down that long - not with how much he normally drinks, his liver is used to it by now - but it will give us time to get to the warehouse. Once we're there, we'll just have to hope for the best, but as long as he doesn't follow us, Kraus has no reason to go to the warehouse on his own. He natural first step won't be to try to find me in an abandoned building."

Her tone was methodical. Business-like. Free of emotion. It worried Isaac a bit, how much she had to be repressing.

But that wasn't a conversation to have in front of Gerhard. "You're coming with us?" Isaac asked. "Won't that put you in danger? What if we...?"

"If you can't control yourselves," Gilda finished for him. "That's a risk, but you need someone to watch over you. We'll bolt the door. We'll be careful."

Isaac couldn't deny the logic of this, so he nodded his agreement. "We'll be careful," he echoed. So careful. He had a lot to lose. Especially with Gilda there.

Before they left, he pulled Gilda aside for a moment. "What happened?" he asked quietly. Gently. "With Kraus?"

Gilda blushed and looked down. "You know what happened."

"I don't mean that. I mean this." Isaac lightly touched her wrists, then her face, his fingers brushing just short of the red marks. Careful not to inflict pain. "I may not have experience with... matters... but I know that is not supposed to happen."

She still couldn't meet his eyes. Without a trace of emotion, she said as if by rote, "Kraus brought handcuffs he wanted to use. I thought it would be alright. But I got upset and panicked. He hit me to make me calm down. That's all." Her brain caught up with what she'd said, and her eyes were full of panic again as she met Isaac's gaze for the first time since her return. "I need you to understand that I'm not normally like that. I swear. I won't do that with you. I'll get it together. I'll stop being like this. I won't fall apart with you. I promise. You don't have to worry that I'll..."

Isaac shook his head. "Gilda, no. I don't want you to... to pretend that you're okay when you're not. I don't want to do anything you don't want to do. I don't want to hurt you or scare you. Ever. I need you to be able to tell me no. Alright?"

She stared at him for a long time. "Alright," she said finally.

Then abruptly, she threw herself into his arms and clung to him tightly.

Gilda pulled the heavy bolt into place and leaned against the door. It was going to be a long night. But she had coffee, and she was too nervous to even consider sleep. She was worried about both of the two werewolves inside, but especially Isaac - not just because of her own feelings, but because his malnourished and battered body was still healing. The transformation took a lot out of a person to begin with, and right now Isaac didn't have much to spare.

Time passed. The moon rose. Gilda heard sounds from inside the warehouse. Her heart pounded.

"What in heaven's name are you doing out here?"

Gilda whirled around and faced Kraus. "I.... how did you find me?"

Kraus smirked. "I followed the beach. Where do you always disappear to? I knew I'd find you right by the water. The question for me is, why are you trying so hard to get away from me? But we both know, don't we? You're here with another man."

"No, of course not, I..."

Kraus hit her with a closed fist. She hadn't anticipated, hadn't prepared, and she saw bright light and then darkness as the back of her head bounced off the warehouse door. Kraus pushed her aside, and she stumbled to her knees. While she was trying to regain her equilibrium, Kraus lifted the bolt.

"No..." Gilda said weakly. "You can't..."

Kraus ignored her. He threw open the door and looked inside. And of course, the first thing he saw was a form huddled on the floor. Someone he recognized. Isaac was crouched in agony, his body just barely starting to distort.

The doctor turned away from Isaac and back to Gilda.

"You're here with him? You're being unfaithful to me with a Jew? Disgusting harlot, giving your body to someone... something like that!"

Gilda met his eyes defiantly. "Isaac is a thousand times the man you'll ever be."

Kraus hit her. Again. And again. Gilda tried to run - not to get away from him. She had accepted that she was going to die tonight. But to get him away from Isaac and Gerhard, so at least they would live. So they could go on without her and have the happy, love-filled lives they deserved.

Gilda stumbled, tripping over roots, losing a shoe even as Kraus grabbed her by the hair and pulled her toward him. He slapped her, punched her, used the barrel of his pistol to bludgeon her. There was no attraction left in the doctor, no desire other than the deep wish to destroy her. And with her lips swollen and her mouth full of blood, there wasn't anything Gilda could do to stop him.

Suddenly a dark shape barreled toward them. Gilda gasped and braced for a collision, but instead she was knocked free of the doctor's grip as the creature focused entirely on Kraus.

No... not just 'creature.' This was Isaac. In werewolf form, and no longer locked up.

Kraus gurgled, but it he had time for no other sounds as the Lycan ripped into him, savaging him and consuming his flesh. Gilda looked on, horrified but just a little intrigued.

Eventually, Isaac stopped and looked up at her. She took a step backward, tripping a little without her missing shoe, letting out a soft cry of pain as she twisted her ankle.

Isaac immediately stopped moving toward her. His alien, animal eyes - yet somehow still recognizably his - met hers. Then slowly, he approached her, one clawed half-hand-half-paw outstretched, and touched her shaking hand with it. Then he turned and bolted back to the warehouse.

In a flood of clarity, Gilda understood.

"Isaac," she called, stumbling after him. "Isaac, don't leave. I was confused before, but I'm not anymore." She pulled herself through the warehouse doorway, leaning on the frame as the world spun. "I know you're not out of control. I know you're still you. You went after Kraus to protect me, didn't you? You aren't going to hurt me. All you want to do is protect me. I understand that now. I trust you. And I... I love you."

Gilda couldn't hold onto consciousness any longer. She sat down hard as her vision blackened, then curled on her side. As she faded out, she was vaguely aware of the werewolf now lying beside her, shielding her with his own body against all foes as she lay injured and helpless.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Gerhard Einsbrecht

Right up until the second he caught the moon's gleam through the hole in the tin roof - he didn't believe it would happen. And then in that moment, he knew. He knew a lot of things. The faces he'd seen in his dreams came back to him in a rush and his mind allowed him to recall that they belonged to the Fishblatts. Both living an dead. Being on the wrong side of the door in a concentration camp. The mud in his nostrils. No, Isaac's.

It was strange how the memories seemed to envelop and distract him. When they melted away - he found he was left without a compass. He stood to his feet, narrowly missing hitting his head on the rafters. There were sounds coming from outside. The smell of blood. That was of interest. He ducked under the door and stepped into the cool night air. The smell of blood intensified, but it suddenly didn't hold the same sway over him as it had a second ago.

No, the werewolf was enraptured by the sight of the moon on the water. The waves distorted the image - the sea. The salt air burned his nostrils, but he could still smell everything. Decaying seaweed on the shore - the moist earth underneath - wildflowers. His mind identified them all, but even as he realized what each scent was, its meaning evaporated. Significance - gone. He looked up the beach and pine trees beckoned him. There was nothing in him to resist that call.

The werewolf ran off into the night on all fours. A howl echoed eerily off the hills.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Isaac Fishblatt

In wolf form, Isaac had marked Gerhard's departure, and had a vague sense that perhaps he ought to do something about that, but his instincts were too powerful and ultimately won out. Instinct said his mate was injured, and if he left her, she would be vulnerable to predators. His role was to stay and protect her. For now, Gerhard was on his own.

The night passed, and the moon set. Exhausted from his transformation, Isaac slept until the sun had just started to brighten the horizon. Then he woke, human again, naked and cold and utterly confused. For a moment, he was afraid he was back, back in the horrible place - but then he remembered. He was in the warehouse. Gilda was beside him. And she was badly hurt.

Isaac was covered with blood. Little or none of it was his own. He cleaned himself off as best he could before approaching Gilda, and pulled on the pair of trousers he'd set aside for the occasion so he'd have at least a little modesty. He didn't want to terrify her. Though after last night, it was probably too late for that. She'd seen what he had done. He'd killed Kraus. Not just killed. He'd brutalized the doctor. And... eaten him. Or at least part of him. Isaac shuddered.

Surely Gilda would never want to see him again. She'd always treated him like a human being. Like a person. And last night she had seen that he didn't deserve it. That he truly wasn't one.

She was going to have to see him at least once more, though, because he had to help her. There was no way she would be able to get back to the cottage and tend her wounds on her own. Though he wasn't sure how he was going to carry her. His Lycan body was healing quickly, but he had survived a concentration camp in the recent past, and he was barely back on his feet. And how was he going to hide the... the corpse? That had to be done, though. It was more than just his own life on the line - discovery of the remains would threaten everyone in the cottage. And he still needed to find Gerhard. How was he going to manage all that? But he had no choice.

"Gilda?" he said hesitantly, hovering over her. Afraid to touch her - she had seen he was just an animal, and he didn't want to frighten her. He didn't want her to have to pull away.

But when her eyes fluttered open, she reached for both his hands and squeezed them tight. "Don't leave me," she whispered.

He wasn't quite sure how she ended up in his arms - if he moved, or she did. In an instant, though, he was holding her close and her bruised face was buried against his chest.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Gerhard Einsbrecht

Freckles of sunlight danced over his face as he slowly came to wakefulness. He couldn't remember the last time he'd heard birds sing. He had been in the city for too long. These sounds, smells, sensations - were all memories from boyhood. Days spent outside - running through the forest, cutting hay, fishing in the nearby brook with a makeshift rod and bobber.

He suddenly started and scrambled to his feet. These weren't memories. This was now. He looked around, the trees surrounding the small glen seeming strangely oppressive. He looked down at his bed - violets lay crushed against the ground and he briefly felt pity for the small plants. Finally, he noticed that he was naked - and lost. His hands flew to his face out of habit, trying to secure glasses that weren't there, much to his surprise. He could see perfectly well without them. What had happened to him?

His eyes fell on the strange tracks and it was then that he remembered. Remembered being the wolf. A rush of exhilaration made his heart pound and his lungs gasp for air. The fairy tales. The stories were true. And he was now one of those creatures. Gerhard inspected his hands. They looked human enough now - and there was no blood on them - though he had a vague recollection of the scent of the stuff. What had happened last night?

Well, he wasn't going to get any answers here, that one thing was certain. He needed to figure out where he was and get back to the house without being seen. Perhaps back to the boathouse - he'd followed Isaac's advice and had brought some clothing with him. He could at least make himself presentable before seeing Berta. Now, to get there...he looked up at the sky, noting how the sun's position had changed since he'd first woken. So, if that was east, and the water lay to the south...then he wasn't lost anymore.

It took some time for Gerhard to pick his way through the pine forest, his feet tender from years in fine shoes and military boots, down to the water. From there, it was clear enough which way town lay and therefore where the boathouse was. He skulked among the rocks along the edge of the beach, hoping to avoid meeting anyone from town. As he approached the building, having thus far escaped detection, he breathed a sigh of relief - until he smelled the blood. So, it hadn't been his imagination. He approached the door with caution, peering around the corner to check for hostiles. Inside was no one other than Isaac and Gilda.

Gilda looked...poorly. The bruises stood out in stark contrast to her pale skin and her blonde hair was matted with blood. Isaac was offering comfort, but it looked like Gilda might need medical attention more. His eyes darted past the two to where his neatly folded clothes sat on a bench, then back at them. As much as he didn't want to call attention to himself in his current state, he also didn't want to surprise them. He hemmed gently and waved a hand at the open door.

"Guten Morgen, I don't mean to intrude, but perhaps I can slip by you and get my clothes? And then we can see to some medical care for Gilda, yes?"

He wasn't sure why he felt so tentative approaching them, but for some reason it felt like the right thing to do.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gilda and Isaac both nodded assent to Gerhard entering to get his clothes - they were relieved that he had made it back of his own volition and hadn't needed to be tracked down. When he suggested medical attention, though, Gilda's heart started to beat faster and panic tightened in her chest.

"I can't," she said. "They'll be able to tell I'm not human. I'll heal on my own; I'm an immortal too. Please. Not a doctor. I can't."

She hadn't specifically admitted that to Gerhard before, but it was probably obvious. And her low body temperature, slow heartbeat, and diminished need to breathe would certainly make any medical professional suspicious. She'd explained that away in the past, but they could ill afford any missteps right now.

That wasn't the only reason, though. In this country, it was hard to know anyone's true... politics. Gilda didn't think she could bear being touched by Nazi hands after last night, even for the purpose of medical treatment.

In response to her obvious fear, Isaac said, "Okay, Gilda. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. We aren't going to make you. But you really do need some kind of medical attention. Would you at least be willing to let my mother take a look at you? She was always patching up the neighbors when they were sick or injured, so she knows a thing or two."

Gilda thought of Sara - the old woman's kindness, and her gentle hands. "Yes," she said. "Your mother can. That's fine."

"Good," Isaac said, trying not to sound as relieved as he felt.

"There's one other thing," Gilda said, trying to keep her voice as calmly neutral as possible. "Gerhard, Dr. Kraus passed away during the night. We need to dispose of the remains before questions get asked. I'm sorry to have to ask you this so soon. I know you haven't had much time to distance yourself from past allegiances. But I'm injured and Isaac doesn't have all of his strength back yet. Will you help us get rid of the body?"

The actual disposal would be easy - other than physically lifting Kraus - for unfortunate reasons. The countryside was pockmarked with mass graves. The deceased doctor could simply be added to one, and no one would be the wiser about his 'disappearance.'
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Gerhard Einsbrecht

Certainly Gilda had performed something that had seemed miraculous at the time, but until this moment, Gerhard wasn't certain that everything he'd seen that night had been real. Immortal...too? So, not only was he a werewolf, but he would live forever? Surely that couldn't be the case...though as his mind balked at the idea, it also reminded him that everything else they'd said had been true. If past experience meant anything, he should be taking this new information to heart.

As glad as he was to hear that she would take medical care from Frau Fishblatt, Gilda's next words stopped him cold.

"Herr Kraus...dead?" She'd said he wouldn't find them...how had he not noticed the doctor showing up? Oh. The memory of the scent of blood came rushing back and he understood. The doctor wasn't just 'passed' - he was dead by violence. He supposed it was a fitting end to a man who'd beget so much of it himself. Still, it did make for some complications.

"Of course. He can't be found here...but he had rented a hotel, yes? And drove his personal vehicle, no doubt. If we are to keep attentions from landing here, we will have to come up with something creative and yet plausible to send the inevitable army of searchers elsewhere." Despite his wrinkled shirt half-tucked into his pant and his wildly unkempt hair, Gerhard appeared focused and ready to deal with this problem. "Leave it with me. I will go with you to the house - I will need my uniform if we are to succeed."

He offered his arm - if Isaac was able, they could possibly carry Gilda together on a chair of their arms back to the house.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Isaac cringed at Gerhard's initial shocked, disbelieving reaction to the doctor's death. "I'm sorry..." he whispered. He couldn't quite meet Gerhard's eyes - Gerhard, the werewolf who had managed not to kill anyone during their transformation the previous night. Isaac had never considered himself a violent person. Of course he'd been angry about how he had been treated - about the murders of his family members - but he had never imagined that he would truly retaliate. That he would meet violence with violence. He would have said that was not his way. But apparently he was wrong. He was so ashamed...

"Isaac saved my life last night," Gilda interjected firmly - ostensibly talking to Gerhard, but undoubtedly more for Isaac's benefit. She gestured toward her battered face. "Kraus did this. He wasn't going to stop until he killed me. So Isaac stopped him. You would have been hiding a body this morning either way. Isaac merely... chose that it wouldn't be mine."

Turning his gaze up from the ground, Isaac regarded her with gratitude and surprise. She had understood that? She had understood... that it wasn't revenge? That it was fear of losing her? That he wasn't... just some brutal, violent animal who couldn't be trusted?

Matter-of-factly, Gilda continued, "You're correct about all of that, Gerhard. Thank you for your help with this. And for your willingness to assist me. I can walk, don't worry. My face took the worst of it..."

The worst of it, but not all. Gilda could indeed walk, but she leaned on the two of them to do so. Not that she minded so much; after the night before, clinging to Isaac was her natural inclination. She wasn't accustomed to being protected from harm, and she couldn't help clinging to what that felt like as long as she could.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Gerhard Einsbrect

As they slowly approached the cottage, Gerhard realized that he would be taken to account by Berta. He silently thanked the sun for being so low and the birds for their relative silence. If they were all very lucky, most people in the village were not yet stirring. He had an idea of what needed to be done - and it would be best if he were not witnessed. Once inside, he left Gilda in the Fishblatt's care and hurried to his suitcase, bringing it with him into the small washroom. He changed into uniform and shaved hurriedly, nicking himself not once, but twice, in his haste. He made no effort to dab at the wounds before dashing back out the door, offering no explanation or apology for his abruptness.

Time was not on their side.

He followed his nose to find the remains of Doctor Kraus, though he could have also used the sign of about ten crows sitting in a tree above the spot. It was curious how they seemed interested in the corpse, yet unwilling to advance on it. Curious, but also lucky. As he drew nearer, he found a larger...mess...than he'd expected. His stomach turned even as his nose did, but Gerhard pressed onward to push his hands into the man's pockets. Keys and wallet. Perfect. He'd need both. The car was parked not far away, the windows reflecting the sunrise. The good doctor was going to have to ride in the back.

There were blankets in the boot, which he gathered the corpse into, the crows flying up and shrieking as he did so. Their complaints were partly the reason why he spotted the gun lying in the grass. That pause had saved them some trouble. The rest of the blood would have to be dealt with later, though. For now, the body needed to find its final resting place somewhere far from here. Gerhard had a thought for where that might be too - but first, he had a stop to make.

The little inn was modest and only two floors. It was fairly easy to tell which one the Doctor had likely rented - partly because it had the nicest curtains, partly because Gerhard found that the air coming from the open window smelled oddly familiar. He didn't stop to think about that part. He collected Kraus' things into the suitcase he found open on the valet, quietly checked to ensure he hadn't missed anything in any drawers, then left a sum of money on the dressing table. He had no idea how much the rooms actually cost the Doctor, but he decided to leave an amount he considered generous. Perhaps the innkeeper would do them a favour as a result.

Evidence removed, Gerhard drove off into the countryside, up along the lake. If anyone saw the car, they would have only seen the back of it as it sped off.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Gilda Engel and Sara Fishblatt

Sara was used to seeing beaten, battered neighbors being carried home for her to patch up. Even before they were removed from their homes, as violence against the Jewish population rose, such attacks became more and more commonplace. It never got easier - but it got less surprising.

She wasn't expecting Gilda to be the injured party, and as the younger woman was led into the cottage supported by both Gerhard and Isaac, Sara couldn't quite stifle a gasp.

Hastily directing them to set Gilda down on the couch, Sara began her examination, both evaluating the injuries and checking for eye responses and symptoms of a concussion.

"You're going to be alright, dear," Sara said encouragingly. "We'll get you fixed up. Terrible times we live in these days."

Gilda did indeed show signs of a concussion. Sara frowned a little. They would have to monitor her carefully - though if things got worse, she wasn't sure how much she could do. She couldn't just rush Gilda to the hospital.

Gently, Sara asked, "And were you injured already, dear? Before you left, there were marks on your face, and you didn't seem quite yourself."

Gilda closed her eyes and looked away. What was she supposed to say? I slept with someone other than your son, and that was the result of how he treated me?

Sensing her obvious discomfort, Sara shook her head. "Never mind. We all make difficult choices, don't we?"

Gilda's eyes snapped open, and she stared at Sara in shock. She hadn't expected that level of instinctive understanding. She nodded.

"I don't mean to butt in, or to pry," Sara told her. "But I'm worried about you. Whoever hurt you - are you still in danger?"

Gilda shook her head. The motion made her temples pound - she was going to have to be careful till she healed a bit. "No. Isaac... protected me. He saved my life. That man can't hurt me again. Gerhard is helping us hide what happened. But the Gestapo will come. They will ask questions. You and Isaac and Herr Fishblatt will need to hide when they come, but I'll keep you safe. I promise."

"I believe you," Sara assured her. "I'm glad Isaac put a stop to it. I know I'm biased - but Isaac is a good man. If you stick with him, he will never put you through such pain."

"I plan to," Gilda said, knowing that to be true. She planned to stick with Isaac for as long as he would allow her to.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Berta Einsbrecht

The birdsong had awoken her, but it wasn't until she heard the arrival of her brother, Gilda and Isaac that she stirred herself to action. Still, she wasn't quite quick enough dressing herself to catch Gerhard before he left. She would have felt more disappointed if it hadn't been so apparent that something terrible had happened last night while they were away. This Resistance work was clearly dangerous - even here, so far from the big cities.

Frau Fishblatt was taking care of Gilda's injuries, so she left them to it and moved to the kitchen to put on the kettle. Some hot water to clean wounds and some tea to soothe the invisible ones would be in order. That simple task done, Berta found herself at a loss of what to do next. Should she make breakfast? She didn't know what people liked to eat, nor did she have a full grasp of the kitchen as of yet. Still, she could ready the teapot and cups. Gerhard had picked up some brown bread in town and this she sliced and placed on a plate along with a small pat of butter. Perhaps it would tempt someone.