A Visit to London

Monkey Kitty

A Visit to London

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers

Eve had anticipated a difficult reunion with Liam. Whatever he had last seen of her - when it was Darren, not her - well, it couldn't have been good. Surely it had reminded him of what she had been in the past. Made him doubt her future. Doubt that there was any place for his birth mother in his life.

The conversation had gone much better than she had expected. A shaky, tearful apology from her. And then, from him, "It's okay, Mum. It's not your fault." Then a return to normal subjects.

Could that really be all? Could she be so easily forgiven?

Even as she was released from the hospital wing and settled back into her routine, as classes and meals in the Great Hall and time with Cambria and Rosemary became normal parts of her days again, as she worked late into the night in the potions lab working on a cure for the Maledictus curse, then crawled exhausted into bed beside Cambria, who was sometimes still in her human form and sometimes already in the form of a Sphynx... Eve waited for the other shoe to drop with Liam.

That potential dropped shoe came in the form of a dinner invitation. Eve, Cambria, and Rosemary were all invited to the London flat for a meal with Liam and Shishguk.

Eve stood nervously on the doorstep, a bottle of wine clutched in her shaking hand, but they were welcomed with smiles and open arms. No mention was made of the crisis of the recent past, other than for Liam to briefly assure Eve that her former husband was still safely behind bars. Although the thought of anyone in Azkaban made Eve shiver, even one as evil as Darren, she couldn't help feeling a sense of relief that he couldn't harm them anymore.

The meal was a pleasant and jovial affair, unbroken by fear or discord...

At least until an elderly goblin man staggered through the front door and collapsed on the parlor rug.
Quaxo9

Re: A Visit to London

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

Eve's nervousness was palpable. She understood, in part. Eve had connected Darren with Liam. Unintentionally, of course, but she had been the piece that allowed Darren to find their son. And that weighed on her friend's mind. It was unfair. Cruel and unfair. No one asked to be a conduit for evil.

She hoped that this dinner would help Eve forgive herself.

It was nice to be invited somewhere. Lovelier still that it was an invitation from her dear friend's son and his girlfriend. Such a sweet couple. Their hospitality was so comfortable that it set her completely at ease.

Being at ease didn't mean that she sat gawking when an injured goblin fell through the door. In a moment, she'd stepped past the prone man and through the open door to look both ways down the hallway. Wand in hand, she stood prepared to deal with whomever might have caused the man's injuries, learned incantations on the tip of her tongue. She didn't speak any of them, but asked, "How is he?"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers

"Uncle Granrod!" Shishguk cried as the elderly goblin hit the floor.

He was her uncle, then - not that Eve was surprised. She had assumed he was a family member or close friend, since she had noted that he had been able to let himself in without knocking or counterspelling the door.

The goblin was in rough shape. It didn't take a medically trained wizard to see that he had been beaten. The downward angle of the blows suggested the culprit or culprits were significantly taller than the goblin. In other words, almost certainly human. Which wasn't exactly a surprise either.

"Ferula!" Cambria muttered, tapping the unconscious goblin lightly with her wand to apply the a Bandaging Charm.

Eve nodded approvingly, then asked, "Liam, do you have any healing potions?"

"Just the Meyer's Miracle Mending Medicine..." At Eve's deep frown, he started to explain, "It was on sale at the apothecary, Mum, and we didn't think we'd actually need it..."

Eve shook her head. "I'll make you something better. Later. But for now, give me that... and do you have any lacewings?"

"Sure..." Liam rummaged around in a cabinet drawer and produced a small jar.

Eve carefully picked out three of the dried insects, crushed them into powder between her fingers, and dropped the dust into the (subpar though she might consider it) healing potion. Then she stalked into the kitchen, and after she had disappeared around the corner, the others would hear sounds of hasty rummaging through cabinets. She returned a moment later, shaking the re-capped potion, then handed it to Shishguk. "It'll work. Better now. You can give it to him."

Shishguk knelt beside her uncle and poured the contents of the bottle into his mouth, careful not to choke him.

Eve allowed a few seconds to pass to give it a chance to work, lest she wake him in too much pain, then pointed her wand at the unconscious uncle and said, "Rennervate!"

He woke with a start. "Did I make it?" he asked blearily. "Are they gone?"

"You made it, Uncle Granrod," Shishguk said reassuringly.

Rosemary would still see no signs of his pursuers in the corridor, so it did appear he had effectively lost them.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

She'd listened carefully in the hallway for anything that might suggest pursuit. Nothing. No pounding footsteps. Likewise, no furtive movements. She swept herself back into the apartment and stowed her wand, closing the door firmly behind her. She took a moment to stand against the door - surveying the scene before her and briefly glancing through the undressed windows. No threats there either. Thankfully, the man was in a truly safe space.

Eve and Cambria had patched him up quite well as he was already awake and speaking. She didn't approach him directly, though. He'd been through a traumatic experience and she didn't want to startle him - being surrounded by humans might not be the most reassuring thing to someone who'd just come through a beating. Instead, she moved to the small parlour and pushed a comfortable chair a little closer to the fireplace. She started a small fire in the hearth and stepped away one more to move an extra chair or two from the dining room.

She was certain he'd have something to say about what had happened, but she wasn't going to push him for information. The goblin deserved to be treated gently and allowed to do things in his own time. Hopefully, they'd soon find out the story.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Granrod

It was Shishguk who finally asked, after giving him a moment to catch his breath. "What happened?"

Her uncle didn't hesitate to speak. His voice was clear and certain. "Ruffians. Half a dozen of them."

"Humans?"

"Yes. A group of young witches and wizards. They demanded to know where I had wands hidden. Of course, I had no such thing to hand over even if I wanted to. They tore the shop apart looking. Broke things, everything strewn about, but they didn't find anything. They seemed... disappointed. Angry, even, not to be vindicated. That's when they beat me."

His voice was matter-of-fact, but Eve and Cambria both winced. Shishguk's expression was inscrutable.

The movement led Granrod to focus on the humans for the first time, and his eyes widened in disbelief when his gaze fell on Eve. "A Death Eater?"

"You have nothing to fear," Eve said emotionlessly.

Cambria, however, recognized that this was a time when Eve's characteristic unwillingness to defend herself would probably not be helpful. "Former. All that was long ago. She wants to help you now."

Granrod still looked a little nervous, but nodded his acceptance. "Not much more to tell," he went on, returning to his story. "They heard something outside. Got nervous and left. I watched till I was sure they were gone, then came here. I didn't know what else to do."

"I'm glad you did," Shishguk said, her voice heavy with anger and horror at what had been done to her uncle for now apparent reason other than his goblin origin.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

It was everything she could do to remain still throughout Granrod's discourse. As the anger built inside her, she felt pressed to pace the room. So, a more productive use of her energy was to plan out what they should do about it. Because she wasn't going to sit here, finish dinner, and go back to Hogwart's like nothing happened.

"Pardon me, but would you mind if we went to have a look around your shop? Young wizards sort of falls under our domain, after all. The assault should still be reported, of course, but I think I'd like to see what we can find out first. With your permission, sir?"

There was nothing else they could really do for the goblin, physically. But she could do her best to set things right.
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers

"Of course," Grandrod said. "I appreciate any help you're willing to offer."

After they had helped him settle more comfortably on the sofa, propped up with pillows, he fished in his pocket for a large, ornate key, which he handed to Rosemary.

"This will get you into either the front or back door," the elderly goblin told her. "You may wish to go in the back to avoid drawing attention, but naturally I'll leave that up to you."

"I'll go with them," Shishguk immediately offered, but Eve shook her head.

"Probably not a good idea," she said. "If they're still out there, their blood will still be up, and they'll be looking for goblins. Any goblins. Not safe for you to cross their path."

Shishguk seemed about to object, but Granrod shook his head. "No, Shishguk. Miss Travers is right. It isn't safe for you. I know you want to help. But for tonight, we must rely on our human friends to be our eyes and ears. Thank you all."

Granrod had given them directions to the shop, a little hole in the wall just a few twists and turns past Diagon Alley. The shop sold materials for crafting, mostly metal and wood but also paper, ink, canvas, and the like. It was easy to find.

When they arrived, though, it was clear they wouldn't be needing Granrod's key. The front door hung at a drunken angle from broken hinges, and all the window glass was smashed. Even from outside, the chaos and destruction within was readily apparent.

And...

Eve sucked in her breath. In bold, black block letters across the weathered stone of the shop's facade: KILL ALL GOBLINS!
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

She took the key reverently and placed it securely in her pocket. The three put on their coats, and made their exit. They made their way to Granrod's shop in silence. And then stood there. Awestruck. Angry.

Sure, the damage could be repaired quickly enough. The physical damage. Those words, though. She wanted them gone before Granrod or Shishguk saw them, but first.

"We need to call the Ministry."

Of course it was the right move. Of course. But...there were still those in the Ministry who might not disagree with the sentiment written there in black.

"Appare Vestigium" she said, then glanced at her friends. "Well, it couldn't hurt for us to have a little investigation of our own, could it?"
Monkey Kitty

Post by Monkey Kitty »

Eve Travers and Cambria Morehouse

"Yes. The Ministry," Cambria agreed without enthusiasm.

It was hard to know how they would respond. A crime had undoubtedly been committed; the broken-down door and ransacked shop left no doubt of that. The presence of the threatening words suggested more law-breaking was to come. But would the Ministry care? Goblins were officially considered 'Beings' in Ministry classification - a step above Beasts, but not quite People.

And Cambria had an additional worry. The attackers had accused Granrod of hiding wands. She was confident he was telling the truth that he wasn't - and even if he had been, the prohibition against wand use by goblins was blatantly discriminatory, and she wouldn't blame him - but that didn't mean the Ministry would see it the same way. Granrod might become the target of the investigation, rather than the subject of the Aurors' protection. There was no way to completely rule out that risk... but finding definitive proof of who had attacked the shop would certainly help.

Rosemary's spell was very effective. If anything, too much so - the shop was a thriving business serving magical customers, and both goblins and humans had been coming and going all day. After a moment, though, the golden traces in the air began to resolve, and Eve pointed silently at a collection of six trails confidently meandering together down the street.

The trail took them down Diagon Alley, past the Leaky Cauldron, through dozens more twists and turns, into a residential neighborhood. The houses here were tall, spacious, and luxurious, their elegant stonework and meticulously kept front gardens suggesting generations of wealth and privilege.

"This isn't quite what I expected," Cambria said as the golden trail led directly to the front door of a stately and imposing dwelling that looked enormous for central London, and just as extravagant as the rest.
Quaxo9

Post by Quaxo9 »

Rosemary Bain

She had to admit that she was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Part of her wanted to walk up to the door and ring the bell, but she knew she wouldn't be able to keep a calm demeanour and she'd end up doing or saying something that would land her back in hot water with the Aurors. The calmness to the steps they'd followed suggested that either the perpetrators thought that they wouldn't be caught, or that if they were caught they wouldn't be punished. Perhaps some of both.

No, this situation suggested some need for discretion. Not just to protect her from some prison time, but to protect the goblins from retaliation should these individuals feel threatened.

"Well, we know where they live, which is a good start. I think some research is in order - and not of the face-to-face variety."

Still, it was unlikely that all of these individuals actually lived together. This didn't look like a group home.

"I'll send Lucie to keep an eye on the place. But when they leave, she'll only be able to follow one person."